Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 7)

Comments

• casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't think they would be able to pull this song off live and they have proved me wrong! So so wrong lol

I have noticed their backing track is more prominent in these performances. The concluding acapella is all theirs, though. I love when they have those closing bits of just their voices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Chem wrote: »
    How is Move doing down under?

I'm hearing it a lot more on the radio, driving home today heard it twice on different stations that's a good sign. Currently the single is 21 and the album is 38.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier this month, we sat down with Little Mix's Jade, Perrie and Leigh-Anne at their record label Sony to have a chat about their new album Salute.

Below are the ten most important, essential and interesting things we learned about the record.

1. 'Move' was either going to be first single or probably not a single at all.

"I think because it's so quirky and different it could only be the first single," Jade said. "I'd definitely say we've gone a bit cooler with this one. I love the sound and structure of it - it's so different that it means you have to listen to it a few times to get your head around it. Leigh-Anne added: "I don't think we'd be Little Mix if we didn't take a risk. When 'Wings' came out there was nothing else like it at the time - it was something a bit different - and we like doing that. It's about finding our sound and having fun with it."

2. The album was recorded in just 12 days.

Jade told us: "We had a few months of writing but only 12 days to record it. It was full on, but you've got to keep it all going. We don't want people to forget about us!"

3. If Salute was an animal, it would be…

"A TIGER!" Perrie shouted, before letting out an impressive growl. Leigh-Anne confirmed this by adding: "Definitely. A strong, powerful tiger." We suggested 'Move' was a bit like a cheetah, which they seemed to like.

4. Listening back to the album makes Perrie want to cry because it's so amazing.

"Every time I hear this album I wanna cry - literally," she said. "I'm so proud of this album that I can't believe how good it is. It's everything I could have hoped for. I want to cry again."

5. There are a number of contenders for the album's best song.

Jade suggested: "We listened to 'Boy' the other day for the first time since it's been mixed and that's just amazing. But like Perrie, I love 'Salute' - It's got such a positive and uplifting message." Perrie seemed to ignore this and said: "'Mr Loverboy' is just so old school and so groovy. It's definitely one for our older audience."

6. Nicola Roberts has become an honorary member of the group.

The Girls Aloud singer helped them write two songs for the record, both of which appear on the deluxe edition. "We love her!" Jade insisted. "She's really talented and so much fun to be around. She's very wise as well. She's been in the game for a long time so she always has wise words to pass on."

7. A song on the album called 'These Four Walls' is a particularly emotional one.

"That was such an emotional day," Jade recalls. "We each passed a mic around talked about our experiences of people we've lost, boyfriends, everything," Leigh-Anne continued. "Then we ended up writing what we think is the best song we've ever done." Perrie then revealed that they had in fact planned to come up with an uptempo track that day and not a ballad. We've heard this particular track and it's very good.

8. This album has been made with their US fanbase in mind, but they've by no means Americanised themselves.

Jade explained: "We always keep in mind that our sound needs to be universal. We've worked with a couple of American producers who add that little twist. I'd say this album will be even more appealing to our US fans."

9. There are no collaborations on Salute, but they're not against chucking a guest on a single at the last minute ala Missy Elliot on 'How Ya Doin'?'.

"There's an artist I can easily imagine fitting on 'Little Me', but I can't say who in case it happens," Perrie said, much to the surprise and confusion of her bandmates. Jade then offered the standard: "Nicki Minaj - but we always say that."

10. They're going to let the label decide the next single.

Because, as they all say in unison: "

We would be happy to release any of the songs," before Perrie added: "Can you imagine if there were songs on there we didn't like?" We can, but we don't imagine it would end well.

Little Mix release 'Move' on November 3. The album, Salute, follows on November 11

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/interviews/a525821/little-mixs-salute-10-things-weve-learned-about-their-new-album.html#ixzz2iYXxk3zu

Really interesting read this!

So the label is picking single #2 since the girls like all the tracks. I wonder what one it will be then..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10. They're going to let the label decide the next single.

Interesting ..............

So did LM pick move?

Or was that the only song finished? :D lol

If they did pick it, I wonder what song the label would have gone for ...............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7. A song on the album called 'These Four Walls' is a particularly emotional one.

"That was such an emotional day," Jade recalls. "We each passed a mic around talked about our experiences of people we've lost, boyfriends, everything," Leigh-Anne continued. "Then we ended up writing what we think is the best song we've ever done." Perrie then revealed that they had in fact planned to come up with an uptempo track that day and not a ballad. We've heard this particular track and it's very good.

I am very curious about this one. It sounds like the next step from Pretend Its OK.

Also this:
    8. This album has been made with their US fanbase in mind, but they've by no means Americanised themselves.

Jade explained: "We always keep in mind that our sound needs to be universal. We've worked with a couple of American producers who add that little twist. I'd say this album will be even more appealing to our US fans."

I hope that meant Jam & Lewis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 Playlist update day again!

It really needs to go up to B now!. I am nervous it sticks at C again though :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Maegan Cottone no longer their vocal coach/arranger? She hasn't been around and I think she modified her Twitter description.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move up to the B List!!! :)

Also rememeber the girls are on Staying in with Greg and Russel tonight on BBC3 at 10 PM!
    Forum Member
    Why do the participants keep saying its a group with a racist member? Where did that come from? :confused:

Perrie again. Can't find the link on the same site atm, but here's some other coverage.
    http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=439144

As someone who's fractionally Native American, it bugs me a little, but my reaction is ultimately that her heart was probably in the right place and it'd just be nice if someone would take her aside and explain to her why it's somewhat problematic. I've met a bunch of otherwise very cool Europeans online who've assumed that particular US historical shame has completely blown over and there are no hard feelings remaining just because it gets less press than our other racial frictions. Nope, not the case.
  • davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    I didn't know anything about this native American till perrie posted a picture and then someone pointed out that it's racist,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fer cryin' out loud.

First off, when the fashion was around a few years ago to get henna tattoos was that "appropriating" another culture? Secondly its obviously from some sort of photoshoot so there are a bunch of people who gave her the headdress and then probably informed her who the Laguna are (I had to look them up myself). Its not like she was walking down the street and grabbed a costume suddenly. We don't know if the other girls were also attired similarly.

And she's foreign born too.

In this case I think she's getting trashed because she's white. She wasn't mocking another culture or putting them down.
    Forum Member
    First off, when the fashion was around a few years ago to get henna tattoos was that "appropriating" another culture? Secondly its obviously from some sort of photoshoot so there are a bunch of people who gave her the headdress and then probably informed her who the Laguna are (I had to look them up myself). Its not like she was walking down the street and grabbed a costume suddenly. We don't know if the other girls were also attired similarly.
    You don't get to "decide" to "be" a member of an ethnic group for a day, particularly not just because you're wearing a single piece of clothing that is stereotypically associated with that group. If she got her hair done in cornrows, put on some chains and tweeted "the day I decided to be black" I suspect there would be some problems, no?

If she tweeted, say, "having some fun with costume props, I think this Native American headdress looked really cool" then there wouldn't be any problem.
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Good to see Radio 1 is moving it up I've noticed Capital FM have also been playing Move a lot the past few days and it's on there Playlist as well :)
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    If Perrie dressing up is racist, then so are the millions of non brits that put on a "british accent" and pretend to be british with a cup of tea or scones.

I seriously don't believe she's done nothing anything wrong but everyone has different opinions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On The X Factor Results Show with Taylor Swift on 03 November 2013! Looking forward to it :)
    This week there will be performances from international star and performer Taylor Swift as well as one of former X Factor winners Little Mix.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep16week45/x-factor#.UmgMEPmsiSo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1992 wrote: »
    Move up to the B List!!! :)

Also rememeber the girls are on Staying in with Greg and Russel tonight on BBC3 at 10 PM!

Radio 1 certainly being more cautious with this single. Next week is the last week before release, was hopeful for A-listing at this time. I know Capital are playing it but I can't say I have massively good feelings about how it will chart first week at the moment.

Can we please have the music video, for goodness sake.

What are peoples thoughts about the Australian campaign. The promotional tour has finished now (without them leaving Sydney) and it hasn't got into the top 20 on iTunes. To be honest, it has to go down a bit of a failure?

- tim
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    1992 wrote: »
    On The X Factor Results Show with Taylor Swift on 03 November 2013! Looking forward to it :)

Yay I'm glad it's just Taylor and not One Direction, Britney or Robbie Williams.
  • RayforeverRayforever Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 certainly being more cautious with this single. Next week is the last week before release, was hopeful for A-listing at this time. I know Capital are playing it but I can't say I have massively good feelings about how it will chart first week at the moment.

Can we please have the music video, for goodness sake.

What are peoples thoughts about the Australian campaign. The promotional tour has finished now (without them leaving Sydney) and it hasn't got into the top 20 on iTunes. To be honest, it has to go down a bit of a failure?

- tim

Little Mix's teams biggest error again it was TOO RUSHED. No video (or artwork when it was first released in Australia) I think Australia only really got in on radio like a week before it went out on Itunes. its not a instantly catchy song like wings so needs more airplay
  • RayforeverRayforever Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    If Perrie dressing up is racist, then so are the millions of non brits that put on a "british accent" and pretend to be british with a cup of tea or scones.

I seriously don't believe she's done nothing anything wrong but everyone has different opinions.

I stayed out of it on twitter as i thought some people where really unfair with their comments towards Perrie I agree with you i personally feel she did nothing wrong.
    Forum Member
    Yep, definitely a disappointment. Again, I'd be interested to see how it would have fared with video support, but I guess we'll never know. I hear radio support is just starting over there, so there's still some hope, but still...
    'Move' was either going to be first single or probably not a single at all.
    Perhaps it's a good first single to intrigue a demographic that had written your act off completely if you're planning to follow it up with the commercial second single just before release, but not as the only support out before release. I guess getting the XF appearances and Demi tour lined up were judged more important. Edit: as said while I was typing this up, everything about this campaign seems rushed. It seems very likely to me at this point that this album is going to show a sales dropoff from the first. I just hope it's not too significant and doesn't get a negative narrative going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    You don't get to "decide" to "be" a member of an ethnic group for a day, particularly not just because you're wearing a single piece of clothing that is stereotypically associated with that group. If she got her hair done in cornrows, put on some chains and tweeted "the day I decided to be black" I suspect there would be some problems, no?

If she tweeted, say, "having some fun with costume props, I think this Native American headdress looked really cool" then there wouldn't be any problem.

I see your point, but I also saw that Leigh-Anne, who isnt Native American either, and also not white, gets no stick for calling herself "Pocahontas". (For the record I happen to think she does resemble the animated character and Vanessa Williams when she has the straight hair, that's meant to be a compliment). In fact the fans praise her.

I dont mean to be a stinker with you or anybody here but in this case I just think its actually more racist to slate Perrie because of her own ethnicity. I'll leave it now.

BTW assuming the feathers in the headdress are real, that is some magnificent piece.
    Forum Member
    Actually that LA comment would bug me a bit as well had I seen it. Again, I'm not going to turn on any of them, and I understand why they wouldn't see it as a problem, because their only exposure to that culture is probably the Disney movies. I also don't quite agree with seeing it as equivalent to Brits, Americans, Canadians, etc. making fun of each other because those countries have had largely warm, mutually beneficial relationships for going on two centuries. Many Native Americans still live in geographically isolated reserves where things like alcoholism, unemployment, and poverty are chronic problems. It's just not a fully solved issue.

By the way, I think people are mostly picking on Perrie because of the Zayn relationship, frankly. The comment sections make that pretty clear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it's a good first single to intrigue a demographic that had written your act off completely

I think this was clearly a major part of the rationale behind choosing 'Move' as the single. If the label are indeed picking the follow up, it will be interesting to see whether they take a more safe option.

They admit themselves that 'Move' is a gamble and as good a track as it is, it might turn out to be a bad decision. Wings was the driving force behind DNA's success, at the moment it doesn't look like Move will have the same impact.

I have a feeling on November 11 we are going to hear 'Salute' (the song) and be saying that should have been the lead single.....

- tim
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're reading far too into things than you need to! I'm pretty sure the girls and their management know exactly what they're doing.

Does anyone still think this? I've bleated on for weeks about not feeling comfortable with how things were (not) going.

The only thing is, I'm assuming this album is quality, so yeah, the big splashy debut numbers may not be there thru lack of hype time, but I'm hoping people will catch on thru word of mouth, again, over the next few months. I have high hopes for the US market.

About Australia: the single may not be rushing to the top but preorders for the album have been pretty decent so far.

@Matt_Kode 1h
    Silly amounts ticked off of the 'to edit' list today! Result!

Please let this be about the Move video.
    Perhaps it's a good first single to intrigue a demographic that had written your act off completely if you're planning to follow it up with the commercial second single just before release, but not as the only support out before release.

That would be a good case for Move to be a "buzz" single.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone still think this? I've bleated on for weeks about not feeling comfortable with how things were (not) going.

The only thing is, I'm assuming this album is quality, so yeah, the big splashy debut numbers may not be there thru lack of hype time, but I'm hoping people will catch on thru word of mouth, again, over the next few months. I have high hopes for the US market.

I love the song, loved it at first listen & almost don't get why people don't feel the same way... ;) But I have talked with someone who had loved the previous album & wasn't so much into this song, so while I admit I was surprised, I am slowly accepting the fact that not everyone will react like I did.

While I kind of don't get why the song isn't selling better on its own strengh, maybe the gamble won't pay off right away (people could discover the song later & love it...).

I suppose that having no video by now is a mistake...
    But apart from that, the girls seem to be busy promoting the song & album, what else can they do?
    Though I suppose those very short trips abroad might not be enough: spending more time in Australia & the US would be a good idea to visit more radio stations. They could do that during the tour with Demi! When is it happening?
This discussion has been closed.