[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that was graphic :o
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a non-book reader (mostly) then I'm still a bit patchy on how the various houses interact. I'm expecting house Martell to go crazy after the death of their prince. I don't know if Oberyn had brothers or sisters but I doubt his death will just be forgotten. It could well be the nail in the coffin of the Lannisters.

Oberyn's Relations mentioned so far.

Doran Martell Older Brother, the Ruler of Dorne (has at least one Son who is betrothed to Myrcella Baratheon)
    Sister Elia Targeryan (had two children) all killed by the Mountain.
    His 8 Daughters.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Doran Martell Older Brother, the Ruler of Dorne (has at least one Son who is betrothed to Myrcella Baratheon)
    His 8 Daughters.

So I guess his sister was Danys' sister in law.
  • Options
    liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Sansa's development in this series and especially in the last two episodes. Petyr is a very complex character so I am really looking forward to how this progresses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    So I guess his sister was Danys' sister in law.

Yeah.

Though Dany would never have met her.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's people in an American bar reacting to the end of this weeks episode.
    LINK

That was a brilliant reaction video! You could see who did and who didnt know what was going to happen. I want to go watch it at that bar!
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His 8 Daughters.

Yep. Oberyn's older brother has been mentioned a few times this season. In the first episode, the guy on the horse*, said he had been ill recently when he spoke to Tyrion, Bronn, and Podrick. *Checked on a TV-paced website - his name is Lord Blackmont.

Question ... does anyone know if the next episode is solely about Castle Black? Like Blackwater, S2 E9. Feel free to put the answer in tags. Thanks :)
  • Options
    treasurehuntertreasurehunter Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    If Tywin was planning to be lenient and send Tyrion to the wall in return for Jaime's cooperation, why has that changed now?

Part of the deal was that Tyrion would confess to murdering Joffrey and he refused.
  • Options
    treasurehuntertreasurehunter Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Dorne didn't have a confession from the Mountain before episode #8 though. Now they do.

No they don't. The Mountain confessed to the killings, but left out the part about doing so under orders from Tywin, which is what Oberyn wanted to hear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Question ... does anyone know if the next episode is solely about Castle Black? Like Blackwater, S2 E9. Feel free to put the answer in tags. Thanks :)

Most Likely. There may be the odd scene elsewhere as someone not in the Castle Black storyline mentioned in an interview about working with Neil Marshal the episode's director and it's the only episode he has done this season.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most Likely. There may be the odd scene elsewhere as someone not in the Castle Black storyline mentioned in an interview about working with Neil Marshal the episode's director and it's the only episode he has done this season.

Thanks Corwin :)
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

His 8 Daughters.

I guess we'll be meeting his bro at some point then.
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm getting sick of it, too. I've sworn off this topic many times, but I like to discuss the recent episode like everyone else (helps me purge emotions from when something horrible happens on an episode...like last night).

All the "ahhh remember this, it's important later", and the gently nudges of "ahh just think about it, this and this, and this shows what happens next". Some **** ruined who was going to fight episodes before we should know, something that was the focus of the nearly then entire of the next week's episode, with their gently nudging, and "wink, wink". they didn't directly say so it wasn't a spoiler, but for anyone that can add 2+2 it was made plain obvious. Book spoilers people just get the hell out of the topic!

Agree with this,I'm glad i only got into game of thrones a couple of months ago in a way.i have caught up now and everything has been a surprise.The thing is even though you shouldnt have to,its best to stay away from these threads until the season ends.you never know what is a spoiler or a genuine speculation.

i learned that the hard way on the walking dead thread,where people are always pretending to be clever with their hints.that just happen to come to fruition even though no signs pointed towards it.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having watched the episode again, I think it does look like the Mountain probably died at the end, too. Not only does he keel over, but final wound Oberyn inflicts on him has him spitting blood. That's not a wound anyone in that sort of world is recovering from.

So if both Oberyn and the Mountain perish in combat, does Tywin really have a leg to stand on when condemning Tyrion? It might not be enough to set him free, but it would surely be enough to say the trial must continue - either as a standard trial or a new trial-by-combat.
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @Hellbore Oberyn specifically mentions the Mountain dying so I think with both champions dead the 'gods' have not decided either way! However I expect that the law is not in favour of the accused, the stalemate is likely to be catered for if Tywin is so confident of the verdict.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was pretty gruesome. I knew it was coming but didn't expect it to be quite so graphic! Good old GoT, always makes your jaw drop.

Elsewhere some good stuff - Dany's dismissal of Jorah, Sansa finally playing the Game, Arya's brilliant reaction on hearing of her aunt's death (!).

On the minus side, really not interested in any romance between Grey Worm and Missandei, the Theon / Ramsay plot is a yawn and I'm really not feeling any sense of peril at all at the Wall because in spite of the "100,000" coming at them we've seen nothing but a handful of wildlings slaughtering unarmed civilians in the local area. Presumably in episode 9 or 10 we'll finally get a reveal of Mance's army north of the Wall and maybe then we'll actually think "oh sh**, how are they going to get out of this one?"

ETA: Also on the minus side, it looks like Aiden Gillen has completely given up attempting an English accent.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    On the royal pardon - I think the seal was a Red Hand so I suppose that's The Hand Of The King, made to look like the previous Hand but more likely Tywin a lot more recently than made out. That's how I took it. They made a deal out of Tywin writing something at one of the councils (I remember him asking the useless Martell to fetch him his quill or something like that) so it's likely to be this.

Either that or Jorah was working for N. Irish paramiltary groups!
  • Options
    Phatal41Phatal41 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    The Sopranos has always been the best thing i've ever watched but not once, ever, did i watch that and have any WTF moments but i can think of 5 off the top of my head since i started watching GoT and that episode was the biggest WTF so far!
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every week this series throws at us out of the blue at least one totally memorable and wholly unexpected moment at you. This week's ep had at least 4. OMG. It is superb. Thank goodness I have not read the books or even 90% of the threads on here. I often don't see the plot twists coming.
  • Options
    rusty starlightrusty starlight Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I am so disappointed, I thought Oberyn was going to kill the mountain. Why why why did he have to mess around and get himself killed at the last minute? aaaahhhh it's maddening , I was more upset that he got himself killed than about how bloody it was. >:(

I thought the Daenerys stuff was better this week it had been getting repetitive, but the twist with Jorah was unexpected . I always thought he was her only true friend .
  • Options
    lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrpEkYcc3_s

A spoiler death in this French preview for next week.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Having watched the episode again, I think it does look like the Mountain probably died at the end, too. Not only does he keel over, but final wound Oberyn inflicts on him has him spitting blood. That's not a wound anyone in that sort of world is recovering from.

So if both Oberyn and the Mountain perish in combat, does Tywin really have a leg to stand on when condemning Tyrion? It might not be enough to set him free, but it would surely be enough to say the trial must continue - either as a standard trial or a new trial-by-combat.

Oberyn was definitely killed first though, so even if the Mountain died seconds later he still won the fight by taking his opponent out first. Because of that the trial by combat did succeed.
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    i only read the books after Season 1

I watched the show, knew it was the kind of thing I liked, so read the books so that I didnt get spoiled
    Books are better and having read the books actually makes the show more enjoyable too. It's getting a lot more divergent as it goes on....the last couple of episodes were about 20% from the books, 80% entirely new scenes and dialogue. It's getting to the same place, but on a different road.

Fully agree, although I am not sure that the books are better. I also read the books after seeing season one, and I find that I enjoy the shows more as a result. They are indeed two different products

I have found the divergence between the books and the TV show fascinating, and feel that the TV show is superior in a number of respects - faster paced, and some of the battle/ fight scenes such as the Blackwater, Red Wedding and this weeks fight (ugh), are better on screen that in print.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so disappointed, I thought Oberyn was going to kill the mountain. Why why why did he have to mess around and get himself killed at the last minute? aaaahhhh it's maddening , I was more upset that he got himself killed than about how bloody it was. >:(

Tyrion had already been saved once via trial by combat, plus GRR Martin likes nothing more than to surprise his audience, even if it means killing off a popular character.
    I thought the Daenerys stuff was better this week it had been getting repetitive, but the twist with Jorah was unexpected . I always thought he was her only true friend .

I'm glad the Jorah storyline is progressing, it hasn't really changed in the past two or three seasons. He fancies her, she's not interested, he dutifully follows her around as she captures cities. Repeat. At least now there's something new happening, wonder if we'll see him again? Presumably we will.

I didn't really get why it has taken as long as it has for the pardon signed by Robert to reach him - does any know how long in story time has it been since the pardon was issued? And having traveled all that way, why would such an important document just be handed off by some kid to, as it turned out, the wrong recipient?
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    lucy mane wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrpEkYcc3_s

A spoiler death in this French preview for next week.

You do realise that telling people that a character is going to die is a spoiler in itself right? >:(