Options

Sky TV prices will increase on 1 September

Comments

• Options
    Richard_CraniumRichard_Cranium Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Probably not, retention deals tend to be better than new customer deals unless there's a special promotion (e.g. Sky's "Family & Friends" discounts).

from what I have seen its the other way round, there is reason "new customers only" is a bane
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    ShaunW wrote: »
    I was wary of this when I down canceled Sports and Movies a month or two ago. The Sky adviser said she did not agree that I should enter a new 12 month contract even though her computer instructed this. She promised to monitor my account and that at the end of the 31 day notice period she would phone me to confirm no contract had been levied. To her credit she stood by her word and rang with the promised confirmation that no such term was activated.

So they are trying to push customers onto new 12 month contracts now whenever they make a change to their TV package?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    So they are trying to push customers onto new 12 month contracts now whenever they make a change to their TV package?

no they aren't.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    no they aren't.

I'd hope not. :) That really would be an act of utter desperation to retain customers. I'll find out soon enough because I'm going to be downgrading a subscription.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from what I have seen its the other way round, there is reason "new customers only" is a bane

Nah, new customer deals are rarely better than 50% off and usually that only lasts 3-6 months. Retention deals are much better.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you where to upgrade from the lower two bundles to the family bundle, then yes they want you to sign up to a new 12 month contract.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are no rewards for loyalty with Sky. The longer you are with them and the more money you give them, the less they think about you. The Johnnie come latelys are their priority.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is fast becoming a service for the well off and as a result more will fall by the wayside. I have put in a cancellation request and sky will become a thing of the past for me after 25 years on august 1. I cant subscribe any longer and Sky will be a rich mans service sooner rather than later if it keeps on putting subs up
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Sky is fast becoming a service for the well off and as a result more will fall by the wayside. I have put in a cancellation request and sky will become a thing of the past for me after 25 years on august 1. I cant subscribe any longer and Sky will be a rich mans service sooner rather than later if it keeps on putting subs up

You have been with them virtually the same time as I have. I shudder to think how much money we have given to them over the years. They have certainly had their pound of flesh. I wouldn't have thought one year free after 25 years would be unreasonable. It would certainly be a recognition and appreciation of your long term loyalty. I was just trying to think when Sky first became a subscription service with the original Sky Movies channel encrypted in Videocrypt and I reckon it to be mid 1990.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The basic package is about £26 a month. This does not by any measurement make Sky a "rich mans service".
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    A few weeks ago I called Sky to cancel my subscription. A few days later I got a call from Sky asking me to stay with them and also offering me my sky sub half price for 12 months.

This morning I got a letter from Sky saying my subs would. Increase by four pounds a month from September. Also with the letter was a booklet about "exciting new shows" coming to Sky most of which in my opinion are rubbish.

When my 12 month deal is over I will have to seriously consider wether I stay with Sky. I have Apple TV and a range of on demand services which I can access my favourite Sky shows on so really cancelling Sky would not be a loss to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    When my 12 month deal is over I will have to seriously consider wether I stay with Sky.

you mean seriously consider it just like you did a few weeks ago when you decided to stay afterall?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you mean seriously consider it just like you did a few weeks ago when you decided to stay afterall?

I was going to stay with them but now I will have to reconsider my options. I firmly believe that unless Sky becomes more of an on demand service then it will fall by the wayside as IPTV gets more and more popular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I was going to stay with them but now I will have to reconsider my options. I firmly believe that unless Sky becomes more of an on demand service then it will fall by the wayside as IPTV gets more and more popular.

you did stay with them though.
    you cancelled and then accepted an offer to stay.
    that's what you said didn't you?
    what's to say you won't do the same when this 12 month contract is up?
  • Options
    VanbastVanbast Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Here is a breakdown of the price increases I have just received from Sky:

The Original Bundle - No change
    The Variety Bundle - £2.00
    The Family Bundle - £1.00
    Sky Sports (1 or 2) - No change
    Sky Sports Pack (1 & 2) - £2.50
    Sky Movies (1 or 2) - No change
    Sky Movies Pack (1 & 2) - £0.50
    HD Pack - No change
    Multiscreen - No change
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you did stay with them though.
    you cancelled and then accepted an offer to stay.
    that's what you said didn't you?
    what's to say you won't do the same when this 12 month contract is up?

I am not sure at the moment and as they say a week is a long time in Politics. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vanbast wrote: »

HD Pack - No change
    Multiscreen - No change

That's the same breakdown I got what's your opinion of it ?
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member

The Family Bundle - £1.00 .........
    Variety Bundle= £1 increase, according to Sky website:
    http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/variety-bundle/
    £28 per month- new price from 1/9/14 displayed; then current price of £27 in the basket, with explanation that:
    Monthly cost reflects current pricing. Some Sky TV packages will increase on 1 September to the price advertised. .....
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    The basic package is about £26 a month. This does not by any measurement make Sky a "rich mans service".

The basic Sky service is £21.50 a month, by the way Sky is becoming a rich man's service
    as it gets more and more expensive to have, soon Sky will be pricing people out of the market

Compared to a few years ago when the basic package was £19, it is

Otherwise why would people moan that people who are on the dole have Sky
    or even people who cannot even get out of the house have it because of their health or other reasons
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's nonsense.
    some folk will happily spend £70 on one Saturday drunken night out..
    some folk spend hundreds of pounds every month on cigarettes.

spending the money on TV makes a lot more sense than the 2 alternatives i just listed.

Maybe, but then I would not spend £70 on drinking either.
    i cam going to a beer festival next week, I will take about £50, but I don't I will spend half of that. the only beer festival I normally go to, I only drink now and again other wise.

smoking I don't do.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    There are no rewards for loyalty with Sky. The longer you are with them and the more money you give them, the less they think about you. The Johnnie come latelys are their priority.

Is that not the same for most companies? I doubt your energy company gives you any thing for loyalty or your supermarket. i know they have loyalty cards but to be honest most of them are not worth plastic they are made from.

Sky, Bt and maybe TT does the same thing that if they think they are going to lose you as a customer they will entice you with a lower price, but if you shut and say nothing, it will not happen.

The problem with Sky is there is very little alternative and Sky knows that, come to think of it there is no alternative.

sure Bt and TT got some sort of TV service, but they are limited and you need their broadband, where Sky offers more choice and you do not need broadband at all.

Nah, people will still pay, you may get a few that cancels, but most will stay. It does make me wonder how some people can afford it to be honest. i know a few people that have sky and then plead poverty that they can not afford this or can not afford that.
    Get rid of sky then, simple as that.

i got myself a Now Tv box, I got the Entertainment pack for 6 months, I should find something to watch on it. i must admit, I did think it would be slightly better.
  • Options
    lavertyglavertyg Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    For what its worth here is my two peneth worth.

The reality is sky are in business to make money. All this spin about new programming, new stations, news services is just their justification for hiking prices, if they simply wrote to you and were more honest about why they increase prices (I.e. to make a profit) I believe they would gain more respect.

I can't think of any other businesses where they actually reduce the service they give you (I.e. loss of champions league next August) and then increase their prices. Furthermore flick thru any sky channels of an evening and the chances are you'll see more advertising than programming. Its a win/win for sky.

The sad reality is people like me and many others will continue to line the pockets of these companies out of some perverse instinct that we can't live without their programming, however there will come a point where people will simply be priced out of the market.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    But you are free to choose whether to buy their product or not.

Indeed you are , I pulled my entire Sky system out 2 years ago and have saved a fortune. Get a Humax or F5 .Best thing I ever did and don't miss it a bit.
  • Options
    spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HD Pack - No change
    Multiscreen - No change

not had my letter yet, but seems I have pretty much the same package as you, so am expecting the same letter, I suppose we have just found out the purpose off the free 2 year broadband offer with sky sports 5, as signing up for that has pretty much saved me any price hike for the next 12 months at least
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens when the so called basic rises to above £50 and the top tier breaks through the £100 barrier and that is excluding broadband. Sky will be only for the well off after many more fall by the wayside

Sky thinks that their subscribers are a bottomless money pit and that they will happily keep paying no matter how high the subs go. And when the next round of tv rights for the premier league comes around that will give sky the go ahead to bump the subs up again.