ED - John Wayne and Finn

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,867
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry can't remember what Finn's dad is called, but last night he seemingly showed absolutely no emotion about the fact his son was almost murdered. Ross showed more emotion.. as did Victoria... is it me?

Comments

• cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Sorry can't remember what Finn's dad is called, but last night he seemingly showed absolutely no emotion about the fact his son was almost murdered. Ross showed more emotion.. as did Victoria... is it me?

Nope, it's not just you. The guy is just absolutely terrible. Last night was spectacularly bad. "It's Finn ... he was in car in the barn" [DRAMATIC PAUSE] "with the engine running!" I was hit by flying splinters.

The problem is, James as a character has come in and wrecked lives. Lots of lives. He'd just found out in that scene that his youngest son, who hates him for his betrayal, had probably tried to kill himself, and we got ... pure ham. He should be bowed down with guilt about all the lives he's wrecked, but because the actor gives us nothing (in fact he swans around like everything is just fine and dandy), it's impossible to assume anything other than that he is a sociopathic twot and hate the hell out of him.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TracyLuv should take a short break to Yorkshire, finish the job once and for all.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member

No, it's not you. But to be fair, he has cornered the market in swaggering, and doing weird things with his jaw. He comes very close to Debbieluv in the ham stakes, as she reacts the same when aiming a shotgun at someone's head as when one of her employees is late back from lunch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is one of two "actors" in Emmerdale, I use the loosest sense of the word, that really should be out of work....

James "Darth" Barton and Marlon "Mr Tickle" Dingle , I don't even know the names of the actors but they are excruciatingly bad.
    Its rare I'll knock an actual actor (as opposed to a character) because I know how hard it is but those two have no business robbing a job from a decent jobbing actor.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I noticed that too. Ross was the only one who showed any emotion for his little brother. I loved the scene when he said I only ever came home for my wee brother.
    Even Pete didn't show much emotion and James showed none at all.

I think we are seeing a different side to bad boy Ross.
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    He is one of two "actors" in Emmerdale, I use the loosest sense of the word, that really should be out of work....

James "Darth" Barton and Marlon "Mr Tickle" Dingle , I don't even know the names of the actors but they are excruciatingly bad.
    Its rare I'll knock an actual actor (as opposed to a character) because I know how hard it is but those two have no business robbing a job from a decent jobbing actor.

I know what you mean - I don't normally like to get personal about actors - but Bill Ward as James is wrecking what could be a really good story, because his reactions are just all out of kilter with what's actually happening. Is James not horrified by what he's done, blowing Adam's paternity open? Throwing Adam and Finn both off the rails, wrecking Moira's marriage? He just doesn't seem to give a fcuk about any of it. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean - I don't normally like to get personal about actors - but Bill Ward as James is wrecking what could be a really good story, because his reactions are just all out of kilter with what's actually happening. Is James not horrified by what he's done, blowing Adam's paternity open? Throwing Adam and Finn both off the rails, wrecking Moira's marriage? He just doesn't seem to give a fcuk about any of it. :confused:

I think that's the point... he is trying to show emotion and probably believes he's doing a fine job but he's simply too wooden to emote properly.
    He only has two expressions... smirking / not smirking
  • Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does James even realise Finn is his son? James has been too busy thinking about Adam and Moira to even have a long conversation with Finn.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know what has happened to the actor. But if I remember rightly he wasn't that bad in Corrie all those years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, it's not just you. The guy is just absolutely terrible. Last night was spectacularly bad. "It's Finn ... he was in car in the barn" [DRAMATIC PAUSE] "with the engine running!" I was hit by flying splinters.

The problem is, James as a character has come in and wrecked lives. Lots of lives. He'd just found out in that scene that his youngest son, who hates him for his betrayal, had probably tried to kill himself, and we got ... pure ham. He should be bowed down with guilt about all the lives he's wrecked, but because the actor gives us nothing (in fact he swans around like everything is just fine and dandy), it's impossible to assume anything other than that he is a sociopathic twot and hate the hell out of him.

BIB - Just watched it again on itvplayer.. it's genuinely hilarious the way he says it. I know it shouldn't be. Just everything about last nights episode with him in it shouted wooden. I also wish he would stop all the swaggering about like he in John Wayne..
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    Don't know what has happened to the actor. But if I remember rightly he wasn't that bad in Corrie all those years ago.

Maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable with the role. Charlie Stubbs was an out and out bad 'un - but maybe he doesn't really get who James is meant to be. I'm not sure I do either. But he plays him like a blundering insensitive dick.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »

I agree but they dont always transcend well - look at Michelle Collins as Cindy Beale who was a great character in EE but one of the worst turkeys ever on Corrie as Stella. We all loved PC Belamy but Daz on Emmerdale is just a gravy faced skank who bored me to death.

James Lumberjack Barton is truly terrible, more wooden than a tent pole and has this wierd way of talking like his dentures are about to fall out. :o
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god help you all if you have traumatic shocks in your life - not everyone cries when showing emotion - shock is the weirdest thing ever and you dont have to be blubbing like a baby just to show you care/love someone.

i dont mind bill ward i also like his character in emmerdale - he never knew he had another son and when he did click then why should he keep it to himself? Id find it hard to carry a secret like that.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Pete Barton is really bad does anyone else? the way he was shouting when they found Finn.

Only Ross interests me why can't they bin the rest.
    Forum Member
    Cody1 wrote: »
    god help you all if you have traumatic shocks in your life - not everyone cries when showing emotion - shock is the weirdest thing ever and you dont have to be blubbing like a baby just to show you care/love someone.

i dont mind bill ward i also like his character in emmerdale - he never knew he had another son and when he did click then why should he keep it to himself? Id find it hard to carry a secret like that.

I know what you mean, but if two of my sons had just hit the bottle and were having a full-scale breakdown as a result of my actions, I don't think I'd be wandering round in drag, smirking, and flirting with my girlfriend.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad James is still doing everyone's nut in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL :D
    Forum Member

*swaggers up*
    *invades your personal space*
    *smirks*

"I don't know ..." [DRAMATIC PAUSE] "what you mean!!"

*exits woodenly, slamming door*
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    *swaggers up*
    *invades your personal space*
    *smirks*

"I don't know ..." [DRAMATIC PAUSE] "what you mean!!"

*exits woodenly, slamming door*

..... and frowns, my God he can frown!:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    ..... and frowns, my God he can frown!:o

that's actually concentration as he tries desperately to remember his lines.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every sentence he utters ends with a 'schnoz sigh' ....every single time.
    My cringe meter just couldn`t take anymore and it blew up last night.
    Please Kate Oates....get rid of him - and Adumb too
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,383
    Forum Member
    So Finn's trying to find his mother... I have a feeling she may be dead

Captain Swagger has probably buried her under the pigsty or something
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Finn's trying to find his mother... I have a feeling she may be dead

Captain Swagger has probably buried her under the pigsty or something

its going to be Ash's Carole.....
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,383
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    its going to be Ash's Carole.....

ugh I hope not, Not a big fan of the actress...
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    No, it's not you. But to be fair, he has cornered the market in swaggering, and doing weird things with his jaw. He comes very close to Debbieluv in the ham stakes, as she reacts the same when aiming a shotgun at someone's head as when one of her employees is late back from lunch.

:D

Especially the bit in bold.