Options

Coronation Street Tour

13»

Comments

• Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    Finally went yesterday and to be honest for £16.50 you can't complain.

We arrived an hour early lol. If, like us you aren't familiar with the area there are various coffee shops in nearby streets. You wait outside the studios until your time is called. From here you can see part of the back of the street and various other interesting signs etc. There are even some 'Newton & Ridley' barrels outside the crew kitchen. Once your time is called you go to the entrance and you are given your 'backstage pass'. Our guide was called Dora. She was very nice, not to over the top like I have read about some of them.

You are taken through to the green room and given a brief history of the street and the whole story of why it changed from Florizel Street. You also see the cast pigeon holes, including one labelled "DAME Antony Cotton" :D

Next you are taken down the corridor of dressing rooms and photos of past and present characters and into make up & wardrobe. You get another talk about how long they spend in make up and also shown Carla's wedding dress. There' a lot of other costumes on the rails but you don't get time to look at them because you are then rushed into another part to watch a film compilation of clips from over the years. After that you are then taken to see the interior sets which are so small. They make them look bigger onscreen by using a wide angle lens. When you are at Carla's flat, check out the painted bit of chequered floor in front of it. Apparently this was previously where Audrey's salon set was. Next onto Gail's. What a tip. :D What I want to know who in the Platt household reads 'The Tempest' which was on Gail's bookshelf lol.

Finally you get into The Rovers where everyone gets to sit down. Another talk, including the contents of Betty's hotpot and what is used to make the drinks. Photo's are done for those who want them. Personally I think the USB stick option for £8 is the best value rather than buying a printed copy. No time to look at the set properly, and you get just a glance 'through the back' as you are ushered through to the next part.

Next up is Martha's barge (Ken's kimono in here). Rita and Becky's wedding dresses, Dev's wedding outfit. There's Hayley and Fred's coffins and a selection of brass plaques from various coffins. Next you are taken to the Duckworths. Another tiny set.

The last interior bit is a selection of costumes, props and awards.

Lastly you are taken through Nick's bistro and with a bit of pomp and ceremony turned out into the street to run wild and free. :D Others have already given good accounts of this so I won't repeat what has been said. Me and my friend did use the machine outside The Kabin though. :D

The medical centre doubles as the gift shop and also where you collect your photo's. The merchandise is limited but reasonably priced in my opinion.

Overall it's a great once in a lifetime experience. My only complaints are that the interior tour is quite rushed in places with no real opportunity to properly look at things and listen to the tour guide as well. I would have liked more time to look at the photo's down the dressing room corridor as well as the make up/wardrobe area but we were rushed through so fast. I understand they have to keep things moving to get groups through on time, but when there are 30 to a group you don't necessarily get to see stuff properly with everyone crowded around. Personally I would say 20 to a group would have been better.

For anyone worried about disability access everything is on one level. I don't recall any steps, not sure about the kerb on the street. There were people visiting in wheelchairs and on crutches who didn't seem to have a lot of trouble and there are tour staff milling around who will offer assistance if you need it.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally went yesterday and to be honest for £16.50 you can't complain.

We arrived an hour early lol. If, like us you aren't familiar with the area there are various coffee shops in nearby streets. You wait outside the studios until your time is called. From here you can see part of the back of the street and various other interesting signs etc. There are even some 'Newton & Ridley' barrels outside the crew kitchen. Once your time is called you go to the entrance and you are given your 'backstage pass'. Our guide was called Dora. She was very nice, not to over the top like I have read about some of them.

You are taken through to the green room and given a brief history of the street and the whole story of why it changed from Florizel Street. You also see the cast pigeon holes, including one labelled "DAME Antony Cotton" :D

Next you are taken down the corridor of dressing rooms and photos of past and present characters and into make up & wardrobe. You get another talk about how long they spend in make up and also shown Carla's wedding dress. There' a lot of other costumes on the rails but you don't get time to look at them because you are then rushed into another part to watch a film compilation of clips from over the years. After that you are then taken to see the interior sets which are so small. They make them look bigger onscreen by using a wide angle lens. When you are at Carla's flat, check out the painted bit of chequered floor in front of it. Apparently this was previously where Audrey's salon set was. Next onto Gail's. What a tip. :D What I want to know who in the Platt household reads 'The Tempest' which was on Gail's bookshelf lol.

Finally you get into The Rovers where everyone gets to sit down. Another talk, including the contents of Betty's hotpot and what is used to make the drinks. Photo's are done for those who want them. Personally I think the USB stick option for £8 is the best value rather than buying a printed copy. No time to look at the set properly, and you get just a glance 'through the back' as you are ushered through to the next part.

Next up is Martha's barge (Ken's kimono in here). Rita and Becky's wedding dresses, Dev's wedding outfit. There's Hayley and Fred's coffins and a selection of brass plaques from various coffins. Next you are taken to the Duckworths. Another tiny set.

The last interior bit is a selection of costumes, props and awards.

Lastly you are taken through Nick's bistro and with a bit of pomp and ceremony turned out into the street to run wild and free. :D Others have already given good accounts of this so I won't repeat what has been said. Me and my friend did use the machine outside The Kabin though. :D

The medical centre doubles as the gift shop and also where you collect your photo's. The merchandise is limited but reasonably priced in my opinion.

Overall it's a great once in a lifetime experience. My only complaints are that the interior tour is quite rushed in places with no real opportunity to properly look at things and listen to the tour guide as well. I would have liked more time to look at the photo's down the dressing room corridor as well as the make up/wardrobe area but we were rushed through so fast. I understand they have to keep things moving to get groups through on time, but when there are 30 to a group you don't necessarily get to see stuff properly with everyone crowded around. Personally I would say 20 to a group would have been better.

For anyone worried about disability access everything is on one level. I don't recall any steps, not sure about the kerb on the street. There were people visiting in wheelchairs and on crutches who didn't seem to have a lot of trouble and there are tour staff milling around who will offer assistance if you need it.

Lol, sounds great SLoB. Can't believe CottonKnob's pigeon-hole is labelled 'Dame Antony Cotton'! :D:D:D:D

But I don't know why you're surprised at Gail having The Tempest in her no doubt extensive library. I bet Kylie reads a few scenes from it every night. :D:D
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Lol, sounds great SLoB. Can't believe CottonKnob's pigeon-hole is labelled 'Dame Antony Cotton'! :D:D:D:D

But I don't know why you're surprised at Gail having The Tempest in her no doubt extensive library. I bet Kylie reads a few scenes from it every night. :D:D

Apparently the Dame Antony Cotton thing is an "in joke". My first thought was had they been reading the DS opinion of AC. Sure I've seen him being labelled 'dame' here. :D
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    Yup, I think this was the woman we got as well. I was there last Sunday and although she was very pleasant - she seemed completely scripted. I can't really describe it exactly. It was like she was trying to make out that she actually worked on the show and was a massive fan - yet she just told us stuff that we already knew. The jokes were also totally scripted and embarrassing. The facts and questions were abit laughable - "Can anybody tell me, what happened on December 3rd 1960?" Jeez, that's a hard one!!

I spoke to her later on and asked her if she worked on the show. She replied yes, but didn't really allude to what she did exactly. I then started asking her more specific questions, to which she brushed over almost robotically and then started saying how big the new set was and how the Rovers has a new upstairs window - yes I already know that. Anybody who does a quick Google search knows that and how it was originally going to be called Florizel Street. There was also a strange part when she kept saying that we were going to actually be getting a drink the the Rovers.

About 5 times, she referred to this "drink", particularly as the studio was like a sauna inside. However, this drink never materialised. Yet again, it was just part of the script.

I noticed there was a male tour guide leading the group in front of us and he sounded genuinely clued up on the show and interested.

As for the tour itself... I have very mixed feelings about it. I was initially thrilled to actually walk through those gates, after standing outside many times looking for stars and waiting for autographs - wishing that I could go in.

It was far too rushed and in parts felt quite desperate and in bad taste. They had snippets of information but we had absolutely no time to read and digest the information. The green room had a letter on the wall from the Prime Minister but we were ushered out of there in no time to read it. We were shown a 5-10 minute video - which was just complied of clips that we've seen a million times before.

What struck me the most was how small Gail's house was and how basic and dated the place really was - from the dressing rooms to the VT equipment that looked well 80's. In parts, the tour seemed quite naff. To be honest, I would rather have seen more sets than cheap exhibits like Rita's wedding dress from 1972 and Roy's actual train set - woooow! Martha Fraser's barge? Eh, that was a random one... I was hoping to see something like Roy's Rolls instead.

Then there was the delight of seeing Haley's coffin and plaques from characters of years gone by... Pretty rubbish really. It was brilliant to see the Rovers and sit on those actual seats. I also noticed the the back bit and living room, however we never got to see that and were again rushed out as quick as possible. Not until we were called up one by one to get our photos taken for £10 a time :)

I felt there was so much more potential. What about the chance to actually walk in Gail's front door and walk in the Rovers? A chance to interact more with the sets.

Anyway, the highlight and part that truly made the experience was getting to walk on the Street itself. That didn't disappoint. The Street saved the day. As for the rest, I just felt that as little effort has gone into it as possible, for the most return profit they could make. Ofcourse, I did end up buying the £10 photo of us in the Rovers lol ;)

Why did you even bother going?
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you even bother going?

I asked myself the same question after I left...

Look - what I have written is an account of my honest feelings about the tour, which I believe I am entitled to post as a comparison and guide for others on this forum.

I saw the Street and as I have stated, this was the highlight. I am interested to read that others have also felt the interior tour was far too rushed.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I did the tour on Wednesday and luckily I got a tour guide who doesn't rush although he caused a backlog behind us. You have to watch though as there is stuff that the tour guide does not mention for example in the green room there are messages from the cast on the wall. It's a shame they gutted the kebab shop set and you couldn't go inside. The chip shop exterior was in a bad state and a bit neglected, I don't even know if it is still open in the show.

I like how Continuum (venue operator) have slyly put a bus stop advert on the bus stop for their Real Mary King's Close tourist attraction in Edinburgh. Quite sneaky.

I also like how everyone gets a souvenir in the form of a backstage pass.
  • Options
    Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have too book tickets? Can you not just turn up and hope too get in at some point that day...Just I am off to Manchester tomorrow to meet a mate and the Corrie tour would be ace too finaly do!
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rick_Poppa wrote: »
    Do you have too book tickets? Can you not just turn up and hope too get in at some point that day...Just I am off to Manchester tomorrow to meet a mate and the Corrie tour would be ace too finaly do!

Normally you have to book in advance but such is the tour's popularity you might be able to turn up at Lower Byrom Street and see what happens!

I enjoyed it that much two weeks today I'll be there AGAIN :D.
  • Options
    Dr.FeverDr.Fever Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    How is it for disabled visitors? My dad either uses a wheelchair or crutches, would it be difficult for him to go around on the tour?
  • Options
    Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked at ticketmaster site....hmmm bit pricey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Dr.Fever wrote: »
    How is it for disabled visitors? My dad either uses a wheelchair or crutches, would it be difficult for him to go around on the tour?

There was a lady in a wheelchair on the tour when we went and she coped pretty well, even down the back ginnel :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim_Cross wrote: »
    There was a lady in a wheelchair on the tour when we went and she coped pretty well, even down the back ginnel :)

Granted the the pavements are narrow and the cobbles somewhat bumpy but I didn't notice anyone struggling personally either.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    Yup, I think this was the woman we got as well. I was there last Sunday and although she was very pleasant - she seemed completely scripted. I can't really describe it exactly. It was like she was trying to make out that she actually worked on the show and was a massive fan - yet she just told us stuff that we already knew. The jokes were also totally scripted and embarrassing. The facts and questions were abit laughable - "Can anybody tell me, what happened on December 3rd 1960?" Jeez, that's a hard one!!

I spoke to her later on and asked her if she worked on the show. She replied yes, but didn't really allude to what she did exactly. I then started asking her more specific questions, to which she brushed over almost robotically and then started saying how big the new set was and how the Rovers has a new upstairs window - yes I already know that. Anybody who does a quick Google search knows that and how it was originally going to be called Florizel Street. There was also a strange part when she kept saying that we were going to actually be getting a drink the the Rovers.

About 5 times, she referred to this "drink", particularly as the studio was like a sauna inside. However, this drink never materialised. Yet again, it was just part of the script.

I noticed there was a male tour guide leading the group in front of us and he sounded genuinely clued up on the show and interested.

As for the tour itself... I have very mixed feelings about it. I was initially thrilled to actually walk through those gates, after standing outside many times looking for stars and waiting for autographs - wishing that I could go in.

It was far too rushed and in parts felt quite desperate and in bad taste. They had snippets of information but we had absolutely no time to read and digest the information. The green room had a letter on the wall from the Prime Minister but we were ushered out of there in no time to read it. We were shown a 5-10 minute video - which was just complied of clips that we've seen a million times before.

What struck me the most was how small Gail's house was and how basic and dated the place really was - from the dressing rooms to the VT equipment that looked well 80's. In parts, the tour seemed quite naff. To be honest, I would rather have seen more sets than cheap exhibits like Rita's wedding dress from 1972 and Roy's actual train set - woooow! Martha Fraser's barge? Eh, that was a random one... I was hoping to see something like Roy's Rolls instead.

Then there was the delight of seeing Haley's coffin and plaques from characters of years gone by... Pretty rubbish really. It was brilliant to see the Rovers and sit on those actual seats. I also noticed the the back bit and living room, however we never got to see that and were again rushed out as quick as possible. Not until we were called up one by one to get our photos taken for £10 a time :)

I felt there was so much more potential. What about the chance to actually walk in Gail's front door and walk in the Rovers? A chance to interact more with the sets.

Anyway, the highlight and part that truly made the experience was getting to walk on the Street itself. That didn't disappoint. The Street saved the day. As for the rest, I just felt that as little effort has gone into it as possible, for the most return profit they could make. Ofcourse, I did end up buying the £10 photo of us in the Rovers lol ;)

Our guide said that the equipment in the video gallery was quite old but wasn't what they had been using right up until they closed - they took all the stuff with them and just put some old screens back in so you got the idea.

I really enjoyed the tour and I don't even watch the show. I was surprised how much it just looks like a set and not as realistic as it seems on TV.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peakdistrictphotos014/13892930655/in/set-72157644018714305

This picture shows the Hilton Hotel in the background - the tallest building in Manchester. Has anyone ever noticed it on screen or have they always managed to film it in a way you can't see it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peakdistrictphotos014/13892930655/in/set-72157644018714305

This picture shows the Hilton Hotel in the background - the tallest building in Manchester. Has anyone ever noticed it on screen or have they always managed to film it in a way you can't see it?

The building got in the way of the view from the window of my hotel and looking at the people walking at night was just "eerie" it was like watching one of the twin towers. I did not realise it significance until I got home. My mum thinks it is an eyesore.
  • Options
    Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    The building got in the way of the view from the window of my hotel and looking at the people walking at night was just "eerie" it was like watching one of the twin towers. I did not realise it significance until I got home. My mum thinks it is an eyesore.

The Beetham Tower is beautiful... Iconic...
    Plus it keeps me in work...

I was on the 32nd floor in the apartments above the hotel last week... the view was amazing...

Which hotel was you staying at...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Beetham Tower is beautiful... Iconic...
    Plus it keeps me in work...

I was on the 32nd floor in the apartments above the hotel last week... the view was amazing...

Which hotel was you staying at...

Blue Rainbow Aparthotel located behind the train station (Deansgate).
  • Options
    Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Blue Rainbow Aparthotel located behind the train station.

AKA Hill Quays... I think???
    Another place that keeps me in work... ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AKA Hill Quays... I think???
    Another place that keeps me in work... ;-)

Yes that's the building upstairs above the offices in there but I was not facing in a room with a view towards all the buildings and was a brilliant view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »

Thanks for posting a link to one of my photos!!

Yeah they always managed to hide the Beetham Tower when filming; when it was first built I think they had to re-dub exterior scenes to hide the wistling noise from the building.
  • Options
    Dr.FeverDr.Fever Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Kim_Cross wrote: »
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    Granted the the pavements are narrow and the cobbles somewhat bumpy but I didn't notice anyone struggling personally either.

Thanks, I might book tickets for my parents.
    I remember the old Granada tour had lots of walking and steps, but now there is no New York set, 'stairway to the stars', Baker St etc.
    I'm sure they'll love the tour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to bump an old thread to the top of the DS Soap forum but I've made a video as a nod to the current titles for Corrie after my recent tour:

http://youtu.be/Pd2oJIR2ZBM