Options

Is darts a SPORT ??

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Or is it, as I think, a GAME ?
To me, a sport is something you do which involves some kind of physical movement including a bit of sweating, breathlessness etc.

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I dunno.But i was watching it this afternoon and that young guy who got into the final was awesome.Like a robot.Millimetric precision.
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a game/passtime that's been turned into a sport, like snooker
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a game/passtime that's been turned into a sport, like snooker
    Aren't all sports games that have been turned into sports? A game of football, for instance. Personally I think the difference between a game per se, and a sport is the level of skill required in a sport. Buckaroo is a game, darts is a sport.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id say it was a sport because its competitive, and although only a small bit, there is still a physical excersion
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    It's just something to do between pints
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »
    Aren't all sports games that have been turned into sports? A game of football, for instance. Personally I think the difference between a game per se, and a sport is the level of skill required in a sport. Buckaroo is a game, darts is a sport.
    Yes but if Sky or BBC2 staged a Buckaroo championship, with cash prizes and sponsorships, it'd become a sport
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It bores the hell out of me, it must be a sport, either that or Opera.
  • Options
    moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, a sport is something you do which involves some kind of physical movement including a bit of sweating, breathlessness etc.

I've been watching it all week thanks to the snow and crap tv scheduling and I've seen fair bit of sweating and a player got breathless, (think that was more to do with his medical condition tho :p)

It may not be a exertive sport, but its given me more entertainment this week than watching my football team this season (Everton :p) and those players get paid enough to entertain
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's as much of a sport as archery or pistol shooting.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you've been watching, it does involve physical movement, and they do sweat. :)

Presumably you don't think golf is a sport either? :confused: They don't even have to walk, they can ride around in buggies now.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say yes but that only cos it my last chance of becoming a professional sportsman :D
  • Options
    TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traynor wrote: »

Knew even before I clicked the link that that's what it was going to be :D
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching it all week thanks to the snow and crap tv scheduling and I've seen fair bit of sweating and a player got breathless, (think that was more to do with his medical condition tho :p)

It may not be a exertive sport, but its given me more entertainment this week than watching my football team this season (Everton :p) and those players get paid enough to entertain

:) Spot on.Those(in general) overpaid prima donnas should hang their heads in shame.
    Darts should be made an Olympic sport.Along with snooker and bowls.
  • Options
    c3pod4qpc3pod4qp Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, it's a game/pastime, not a sport. However, they do sweat and get breathless, but this is probably due to weight issues and smoking.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    There was an excellent (as usual) article by Simon Barnes in the Times yesterday which was primarily about cricket but touched on the subject of snobbery towards darts:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article6979906.ece

And another thing, if I bloke throws a javelin, that's considered sport but if a fat bloke throws a small arrow, very accurately, then it's a pub game :confused:
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People belittle it because it's a working class pastime.

If it was played at public school it would have been in the Olympics years ago.
  • Options
    moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    People belittle it because it's a working class pastime.

If it was played at public school it would have been in the Olympics years ago.

So true, it does take a bit of skill to throw a dart accurately, I think events like shot put & weight lifting require more brawn than skill and they are not as entertaining
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darts is a sport for sure! it's amazingly hard to do properly, really takes skill.

BDO final at Lakeside on tomorrow bbc2!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know or care if it's a game or a sport, all I know is it's absolutely brilliant! :D

I've only started following it properly this week but I'm hooked! It's funny, entertaining, addictive viewing. I can't wait for the final. :o
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    i have heard american commentators refer to the players as "the two athletes" in one professional darts match on Sky.

i mean, wtf????
  • Options
    NoNoDramaNoNoDrama Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sport in it's rawest form, and the most entertaining sport to watch on TV.

The BDO they show on the BBC is poor and horrifically outdated ,however.

Get Sky and watch the PDC tournaments.

I'm a HUGE football fan but nothing beats watching a good darts tournament.
  • Options
    moon unitmoon unit Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know or care if it's a game or a sport, all I know is it's absolutely brilliant! :D

I've only started following it properly this week but I'm hooked! It's funny, entertaining, addictive viewing. I can't wait for the final. :o

Right on, ditto! :cool:
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    What's even more weird is that they have two separate world darts championships held in consecutive weeks - in January. Why exactly - did they fall out over a few pints?
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

& it's great brain training in mental arithmetic :)