Doctor Who -The Movie, on tonight.

Comments

• lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delroy14 wrote: »
    the master was in the tardis cos the dr was transporting his remaines back to gallifray and i havent seen the tvm for years the best part tho has to be where the man who killed the dr for so many years (McCoy) finally gets whats comeing to him :D

I was actually thinking about this earlier. After the Master had possessed Bruces Body, how did he get back in the TARDIS without the Doctor's Key? Chang Lee was the only one who had it after he nicked the Doctor's bag and I don't think The Master knew about the spare key above the "P".
  • ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I was actually thinking about this earlier. After the Master had possessed Bruces Body, how did he get back in the TARDIS without the Doctor's Key? Chang Lee was the only one who had it after he nicked the Doctor's bag and I don't think The Master knew about the spare key above the "P".

Chang let him in whilst The Doctor was engrossed in work on the TARDIS. Grace was possessed and incapacitated The Doctor to enable The Master to have time to prepare for opening the Eye of Harmony and steal The Doctors body.

D
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ductur wrote: »
    Chang let him in whilst The Doctor was engrossed in work on the TARDIS. Grace was possessed and incapacitated The Doctor to enable The Master to have time to prepare for opening the Eye of Harmony and steal The Doctors body.

D

No Chang got into the TARDIS first before he even knew what it or who the Doctor was. He met "Bruce" in there who was standing there waiting for him. Unless he was able to revert back to his "snake" form I don't see how The Master would be able to get in.
  • ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    No Chang got into the TARDIS first before he even knew what it or who the Doctor was. He met "Bruce" in there who was standing there waiting for him. Unless he was able to revert back to his "snake" form I don't see how The Master would be able to get in.

Ah, when you said 'back in' the TARDIS, I thought you meant in the final scenes before the Eye was opened...

... I'd have to dig the DVD out and see..

D

Update.... You're right; as far as I can see there is no footage of The Master actually entering the TARDIS for the first time, so I guess the implication is that he went in through the open door when he (Chang) was doing his circuit of the outside of the TARDIS (as people usually do after seeing the inside for the first time.) Chang did leave the door open...

D
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not seen it for years (on account of it being toss), but Sylvester McCoy's performance is lovely, Paul McGann had the signs of being great, the 50s-ish jazz song is lovely, the regeneration is brilliantly done, the Tardis looks nice ... the rest is bumwash of the highest order.

What's all that stuff about the Earth being pulled into the Eye of Harmony at midnight? Eric Roberts is awful. Then there's the terrible, terrible cop out of Grace and Chang Lee being brought back to life.

I caught about 2mins when I was channel hopping while tidying up before bed, last night. "Bruce" talking to Mrs Bruce. Awful, tasteless, slightly nasty.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that while flawed in terms of the continuity errors and the kissing bit, it was pretty much the way I'd wanted to see Doctor Who go-a proper, adult sci-fi drama with the potential to be a long running series along the lines of DS9 or Babylon 5. It's a shame it never got picked up.
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that while flawed in terms of the continuity errors and the kissing bit, it was pretty much the way I'd wanted to see Doctor Who go-a proper, adult sci-fi drama with the potential to be a long running series along the lines of DS9 or Babylon 5. It's a shame it never got picked up.

Nope, sorry!

Doctor Who was never about being 'adult'. Doctor Who was a British tea-time Saturday show for the kiddies and the mums and dads and the granddads and grandmas to watch and have fun.

And it is that now, 47 years since it was devised. Its changed, a lot, but never so dramatically as you were apparently hoping.

As I said, the movie was a good experiment, but I think its negatives outweighed the positives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, sorry!

Doctor Who was never about being 'adult'. Doctor Who was a British tea-time Saturday show for the kiddies and the mums and dads and the granddads and grandmas to watch and have fun.

And it is that now, 47 years since it was devised. Its changed, a lot, but never so dramatically as you were apparently hoping.

As I said, the movie was a good experiment, but I think its negatives outweighed the positives.
    I wanted to see it build on the advances made in the books and audios. I see the return to it being 'for the kiddies' as a retrograde step which has demolished about 15 years worth of progress, sorry.
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to see it build on the advances made in the books and audios. I see the return to it being 'for the kiddies' as a retrograde step which has demolished about 15 years worth of progress, sorry.

As someone who has read most of the Virgin novels, has read a few of the BBC novels and has heard some of the audios, and was delighted that they were primarily targetted at an adult audience, I have quite a lot of sympathy with your point of view.

Paradoxically, I have also thoroughly enjoyed Nu Who, so go figure!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch appears to be a bit Doctor who obsessed right now. They showed Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD this afternoon...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the TV Movie!! I was 12 when it went out, and I still love it now.

Mind you, that love does not extend to Eric Roberts as the Master. If only they'd brought back Anthony Ainley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the TV Movie!! I was 12 when it went out, and I still love it now.

Mind you, that love does not extend to Eric Roberts as the Master. If only they'd brought back Anthony Ainley.

Ainley was a terrific Master. And he wouldn't have bothered to camp it up by drezzing for dinner.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst continuity problem is where he got the jelly babies. With all his clothes and possessions gone he must have had them hidden in a body cavity. Lucky they didn't regenerate into wine gums or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst continuity problem is where he got the jelly babies. With all his clothes and possessions gone he must have had them hidden in a body cavity. Lucky they didn't regenerate into wine gums or something.

Possibly he shoplifted them on the way to Grace's place? When he's out of jelly babies, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly he shoplifted them on the way to Grace's place? When he's out of jelly babies, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

Unlikely he'd find any in San Francisco though. Americans are mostly ignorant of nature's perfect food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlikely he'd find any in San Francisco though. Americans are mostly ignorant of nature's perfect food.
    True. The poor fools don't know what they're missing. I gather they don't have Marmite or Heinz baked beans either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jelly beans, no problem. Jelly babies, a distinctly British delicacy that he would have trouble finding in the USA.

Perhaps the Fourth Doctor (the ultimate lover of jelly babies) once landed in San Francisco and stored some for any future eventualities like this one, or perhaps jelly babies are just a natural by-product of regeneration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    Jelly beans, no problem. Jelly babies, a distinctly British delicacy that he would have trouble finding in the USA.

Perhaps the Fourth Doctor (the ultimate lover of jelly babies) once landed in San Francisco and stored some for any future eventualities like this one, or perhaps jelly babies are just a natural by-product of regeneration.

When Marvel comics reprinted some of the early Doctor Who weekly strips in America, they changed 'jelly babies' to 'jelly beans'. The ultimate sacrilege!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or maybe the Ninth Doctor stored them in a specific place where he knew Eight would look. ;) I like the by-product theory though.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch appears to be a bit Doctor who obsessed right now. They showed Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD this afternoon...

Watch has been having an alien invasion week and showing lots of doctor who, and all of Torchwood's last 5 part special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whem Marvel comics reprinted some of the early Doctor Who weekly strips in America, they changed 'jelly babies' to 'jelly beans'. The ultimate sacrilege!

And when the Beatles first went to America, some fans had read that they liked jelly babies and thought it meant jelly beans! The Fabs found themselves being pelted with a much harder-shelled confection than they were used to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And when the Beatles first went to America, some fans had read that they liked jelly babies and thought it meant jelly beans! The Fabs found themselves being pelted with a much harder-shelled confection than they were used to.

The Americans seem to have a history of mistreating the Beatles. As Jasper Carrott once said 'the 'special relationship' between Britain and America can be summed up perfectly by the way we treat each others musicians. They gave us Frank Sinatra and we took him to our hearts. We gave them John Lennon, and they shot him.'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Americans seem to have a history of mistreating the Beatles. As Jasper Carrott once said 'the 'special relationship' between Britain and America can be summed up perfectly by the way we treat each others musicians. They gave us Frank Sinatra and we took him to our hearts. We gave them John Lennon, and they shot him.'

Ah, but they also gave us Eddie Cochran, Mama Cass and Jimi Hendrix, who all died over here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, but they also gave us Eddie Cochran, Mama Cass and Jimi Hendrix, who all died over here.
    That is nothing compared to The Spice Girls, who all died on stage in America. Several times, during their world tour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. The poor fools don't know what they're missing. I gather they don't have Marmite or Heinz baked beans either.

Wiki says this:
    There are substantial differences between the Heinz baked beans sold in the UK and the nearest equivalent US product (Heinz Premium Vegetarian Beans). The US beans contain brown sugar where the British beans do not, and the US product contains 14g of sugar per tin compared to 7g for the British version (equating to 140 vs 90 calories). The US beans have a mushier texture and are darker in colour than their UK counterpart. For several years, the UK Heinz Baked Beans have been available in the US, either in different sized cans than those sold in the UK or in a 385 gram can (the same can as the 415 gram can in the UK) with an "export" label with American English spelling and the word "baked" dropped from the title on the label. These are sold in many US specialty stores.

So essentially, no.