Debbie Harry slams 'too overtly sexual' Christina

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably you see the charts as a measure of success.

Blondie are touring Europe at the moment, and selling out venues. They've been doing it for 10 years. You said Debbie Harry has not had a career for years. Many bands play to sell out crowds, and are well supported, without being on the telly.

I've heard every song Blondie have done, and seen them perform live quite a few times. Debbie Harry can sing, and in many different styles. She was in a well respected jazz band before Blondie reformed, and was very well received in that area, due to the quality of her voice.

If you listen to most Blondie albums, you will hear the vast range in her voice, and her ability to sing many styles.

I don't see a career in going and singing the same old songs over again that you sang in 1983...but that's just my take....at least Madonna reinvents herself and comes out with new music...

Debbie Harry was very different when she came out and so was Pat Benatar but times change and the younger generation is more sexualized which people often attribute to MTV and those in the 80's like Madonna who started to go that way.....

I think Christina is a better singer naturally than Debbie Harry but I don't like Christina's choice of songs but that's up to her fans....and Debbie Harry apparently still has her fans wanting to hear "Call me"...
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    I don't see a career in going and singing the same old songs over again that you sang in 1983...but that's just my take....at least Madonna reinvents herself and comes out with new music...

Debbie Harry was very different when she came out and so was Pat Benatar but times change and the younger generation is more sexualized which people often attribute to MTV and those in the 80's like Madonna who started to go that way.....

I think Christina is a better singer naturally than Debbie Harry but I don't like Christina's choice of songs but that's up to her fans....and Debbie Harry apparently still has her fans wanting to hear "Call me"...

Blondie have recorded two new albums since reforming, and feature many of those songs in their live sets.

They also write the majority of their own material.

Times do change, but the truly talented bands last beyond their youth. There are many great bands from the 60s and 70s that are hugely popular.

You may not like what Debbie Harry has said, although it's not as bad as some are making out, but you certainly dont know much about Blondie.

I'm not sure whether your faourites will still be doing as well in 30 years times, but if they are, I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear the old songs, and be pleased if they are capable of writing good new material too.

If it is American Idol stuff you like though, I fear they will be long gone by then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Blondie has been popular since the 80's. Certainly the fans still love them and Journey and everything else but I would never classify Deborah Harry as a great singer. I don't think she has the range. She is entitled to her comments on Christina but everyone gives Madonna and Janet Jackson, (who in 1993 did an album cover with her then secret husband's hands covering her breasts) a free pass. These two women only sold sex, and now we have some wanna be's doing the same.

Lady Gaga might as well not wear clothes. Britney is a barbie doll that sings and dances and Christina will push the envelope to compete. Beyonce isn't really Sasha Fierce, she is simply trying to sell her music. You can't go far enough now, that's how it is.

As for me, I don't know that if someone is still around many years later, that means they have talent. Cyndi Lauper is a fine example of that, her singing voice makes me cringe.

I am not sure the Rolling Stones are all that talented but have lived and many of their era are no longer here. Talent to me, is the guitar playing of Jimi Hendrix, or a great charasmatic singer like Michael Hutchence or Jim Morrison. Talent to me for females, would be the girls in Heart. Staying power does not equal talent in my opinion. Sometimes the talent is gone before you can blink an eye. Sometimes those who stay around are just plain lucky.

I swear, very few of these people today can write a good song. I think Christina is just trying to revive her career and get people talking and it's working.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie have recorded two new albums since reforming, and feature many of those songs in their live sets.

They also write the majority of their own material.

Times do change, but the truly talented bands last beyond their youth. There are many great bands from the 60s and 70s that are hugely popular.

You may not like what Debbie Harry has said, although it's not as bad as some are making out, but you certainly dont know much about Blondie.

I'm not sure whether your faourites will still be doing as well in 30 years times, but if they are, I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear the old songs, and be pleased if they are capable of writing good new material too.

If it is American Idol stuff you like though, I fear they will be long gone by then.

Some of those that came out of "American Idol" seem to have substantial careers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Blondie has been popular since the 80's. Certainly the fans still love them and Journey and everything else but I would never classify Deborah Harry as a great singer. I don't think she has the range. .

Their last number one single was at the end of the 90s. They have made two very good albums since reforming.

I can only assume you only know the early hit singles when saying Debbie Harry doesn't have the range.

She sang in a very well respected jazz band before Blondie got back together, and that is not easy.

If you listen to albums like Autoamerican, the Hunter, and the latest two, you will hear just how wide ranging her vocal abilities are.

I've no idea who these reality show winners are, or how long they'll last. If they are making albums, and selling out tours in 30, 40 years they will have got there on merit.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband still goes weak at the knees if you mention Debbie Harry's name. I saw her in concert back in the 70s and she was fantastic. Didn't she take a break from singing to look after Chris Stein (?) when he was ill. I think she's talented and a grounded person. Just my two penneth worth :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christina (thnaks to Parasite Hiltons hate campaign) seems to be under seige which is quite the laugh really. Gaga shoves her fanny in the camera in the Telephone video and Harry wants to be a coward and single out Christina as an example?
    I know why she didn't use Gaga to make her point. Gagas fanbase would've turned up at her gigs with baseball bats and she knows it. :D

Debbie used Christina as an example but in the whole article, she does point to today's female singers in general, so I don't see that she's being cowardly. Hypocritical maybe, looking at some of the pictures she did, I didn't know she'd done them. It doesn't take anything away from her for me though, I still think she was one of the most beautiful women in the world in her day and still looks pretty good now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Blondie has been popular since the 80's. Certainly the fans still love them and Journey and everything else but I would never classify Deborah Harry as a great singer. I don't think she has the range. She is entitled to her comments on Christina but everyone gives Madonna and Janet Jackson, (who in 1993 did an album cover with her then secret husband's hands covering her breasts) a free pass. These two women only sold sex, and now we have some wanna be's doing the same.

Lady Gaga might as well not wear clothes. Britney is a barbie doll that sings and dances and Christina will push the envelope to compete. Beyonce isn't really Sasha Fierce, she is simply trying to sell her music. You can't go far enough now, that's how it is.

As for me, I don't know that if someone is still around many years later, that means they have talent. Cyndi Lauper is a fine example of that, her singing voice makes me cringe.

I am not sure the Rolling Stones are all that talented but have lived and many of their era are no longer here. Talent to me, is the guitar playing of Jimi Hendrix, or a great charasmatic singer like Michael Hutchence or Jim Morrison. Talent to me for females, would be the girls in Heart. Staying power does not equal talent in my opinion. Sometimes the talent is gone before you can blink an eye. Sometimes those who stay around are just plain lucky.

I swear, very few of these people today can write a good song. I think Christina is just trying to revive her career and get people talking and it's working.

You might not like her singing voice but she's got an incredible range. She also writes and co-writes her songs, produces, plays musical instruments and she can act pretty well too. She's talented.
    My husband still goes weak at the knees if you mention Debbie Harry's name. I saw her in concert back in the 70s and she was fantastic. Didn't she take a break from singing to look after Chris Stein (?) when he was ill. I think she's talented and a grounded person. Just my two penneth worth :)

Yes, she gave up her career for a while to help look after Chris. On top of everything, Debbie always comes across as being a nice person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their last number one single was at the end of the 90s. They have made two very good albums since reforming.

I can only assume you only know the early hit singles when saying Debbie Harry doesn't have the range.

She sang in a very well respected jazz band before Blondie got back together, and that is not easy.

If you listen to albums like Autoamerican, the Hunter, and the latest two, you will hear just how wide ranging her vocal abilities are.

I've no idea who these reality show winners are, or how long they'll last. If they are making albums, and selling out tours in 30, 40 years they will have got there on merit.

It's just a matter of personal taste and Blondie has never been my cup of tea but I respect those who like the group:)

I saw her live before and I can't remember who she opened for, I want to say Robert Palmer but that could be wrong. It was in the U.S. and she took her top off during the last song. So I just think she is not one to leave her clothes on either:D She was certainly not in the prime of her career and the audience wasn't too excited she was opening. The only part of her performance I recall, was when she took her top off;)

As far as her last number one, I am fairly sure that was "Maria" and on the UK charts which I know are relevant but the world tends to look at the U.S. charts though some people don't care for that and I don't think she has had a number one in her home country in a long time. That doesn't make her a has been in my opinion though.

I also saw Deborah Harry in a book about punk music and there is a photo in there with her in bed with the late Joey Ramone. So I suppose my point is, she has done some things that certainly not everyone would consider in good taste.

Now if you like her as a singer and performer, that's fine but she's no angel.

Mariah Carey has a 7 octave range but God knows, I can't listen to her for very long:mad: it's just a matter of what resonates with you as a person.

Are the women singers today for the most part, over the top and overtly sexual? Yes of course. Is it a a bad thing? Without a doubt. What is the average age of a Christina fan? I am not sure but it would be interesting to know. But I never see Deborah Harry or people like that slam Madonna who started all of this or Janet Jackson either. WHY? They get all the respect and in many ways, they set the bar very high for being way over the top.
  • kellygirlkellygirl Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    OP i don't think she was 'slamming' anyone really. She sounded more concerned that female stars have to be overtly sexual rather than individual.

I think she is gorgeous and she certainly managed to look beautiful and was sexy without being sleazy or generic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a matter of personal taste and Blondie has never been my cup of tea but I respect those who like the group:)

I saw her live before and I can't remember who she opened for, I want to say Robert Palmer but that could be wrong. It was in the U.S. and she took her top off during the last song. So I just think she is not one to leave her clothes on either:D She was certainly not in the prime of her career and the audience wasn't too excited she was opening. The only part of her performance I recall, was when she took her top off;)

As far as her last number one, I am fairly sure that was "Maria" and on the UK charts which I know are relevant but the world tends to look at the U.S. charts though some people don't care for that and I don't think she has had a number one in her home country in a long time. That doesn't make her a has been in my opinion though.

I also saw Deborah Harry in a book about punk music and there is a photo in there with her in bed with the late Joey Ramone. So I suppose my point is, she has done some things that certainly not everyone would consider in good taste.

Now if you like her as a singer and performer, that's fine but she's no angel.

I dont think she's claiming to be an angel. I think the comments she made were relevant.

Blondie came out of the punk scene with the Ramones, who they were good friends with. Debbie was Chris Steins girlfriend during that period, and remained faithful to him. The photo you saw was a staged one for the time. She was a raunchy performer at the time, and her looks often overshadowed her singing talents.

I think that has been addressed in later years, and people have been able to see just how good she is.

A listen to Blondie albums, and her solo stuff will show just how varied a singer she is. I'm not such a fan of her solo stuff, because for me, the whole Blondie sound (eclectic as it is), is where she really belongs.

I think Blondie were more of a success here, in Europe, and Australia than they were in the US, but thats not to say they were not very popular there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I saw that interview a few days ago. I think she was making a general comment about the industry and how female stars have to market themselves, and I notice that no one seems to take issue with the validity of the point in general. There was a sexual component to Debbie Harry's performance onstage (she was the first major female music star to act with the same sexual freedom and independence as male performers), which critics found very threatening, but it was not overt or sleazy.
    Still I was curious why she mentioned Aquilera as an example. Was it an innocent slip? It is an accurate example, but why not someone else? After all Debbie Harry has made positive comments about her in the past and compliments her singing again. Why did Aguilera in particular come to mind? Then I happened across the video for Not Myself Tonight which Aguilera released not way back when but in April, 2010. No offense, but it's a complete sleazefest where she degrades herself in an effort to outsex her competitors. When you see it and how an otherwise talented female performer now feels compelled to market herself, the example becomes both timely and fair, and you realize why she may have come to mind in a general comment about the state of the industry. Aguilera deliberately chose to market herself that way to compete, and consciously tried to take things to an extreme. In that case, people can't cry foul if she got the attention she was looking for. She intentionally put herself at the head of the list.
  • pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see Blondie on Sunday, i was a teenager when she first came onto the scene and was a punk music fan, she was undoubtably beautiful and a great inspiration to many contempary female singers....but she has had her day and seemed a bit past it, she is 65 after all. She wore a big blonde wig and black sunglasses, and went through the motions of all her past hits and left most of the work to a young guitarist. Some of the crowd shouted disrespectful things to her, and i must admit i left well before the set had ended.
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pussyfoot wrote: »
    Went to see Blondie on Sunday, i was a teenager when she first came onto the scene and was a punk music fan, she was undoubtably beautiful and a great inspiration to many contempary female singers....but she has had her day and seemed a bit past it, she is 65 after all. She wore a big blonde wig and black sunglasses, and went through the motions of all her past hits and left most of the work to a young guitarist. Some of the crowd shouted disrespectful things to her, and i must admit i left well before the set had ended.

What an ageist post! You're all but saying 'shoot them when they pass 40'. :eek:

Or am I doing you an injustice? Would you let female pop stars live until 45 or 50? :rolleyes:

Talent is talent whether you are 25 or 65. I think that Ms Aguilera is absolutely marvellous and I have all of her albums but have no time at all for her if she now thinks that denying she is a married woman with a child, in order to go out whoring on MTV and 'yoof' programmes all over the world, is cool and the only way to behave!. :mad: .
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what's with all these hasbeens putting crap on Christina all of a sudden? I've lost respect for Debbie, she could have made her point without singling any one artist out, especially when they are all guilty of it.
    Sounds like a case of the green eyed monster to me. If Harry was young today and being American, she'd be on the same road as all the other OTT american artists. :rolleyes:

I think its a case of Christinna being a real threat, as she will be around long after all the others have fadded. Christina has the voice, and their isnt an age limit in that like their is the body (Britney ;) ). And older artists are sour they are not in the young up and coming divas positions :P They fear their old news. I jsut think its the 'in' thing at present to slate people for copying, when artist have been doing it for years. Im sure some things she did was 'inspired' :P by another artist previous to her era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    May it never change so much that to sell music you have to wear as little as possible and act the ****!!

I.e Gaga, but Gaga's hot at the minute so noone slates her. Whereas Christina is the present target so shes being hung drawn and quartered when other artists are just as bad if not worse. I havent seen Christina bare arse in a thong yet :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member

On Youtube people seen to have complimentary things to say about that concert. That's why statements like yours are so intrinsically worthless.

Christina fans, you disappoint me. I cited a perfect recent example, the Not Myself Tonight video, which is the sleaziest piece of drek I've seen in a while. Is anyone here going to defend it? Stop acting like the statement was so off base. If the shoe fits...
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debbie Harry as I remember her back in the late seventies and eighties was lovely but not overly sexual. Kate Bush was another stunner as well.
    Christina and Lady Gaga are over the top especially Gaga. Madonna was sexy though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Youtube people seen to have complimentary things to say about that concert. That's why statements like yours are so intrinsically worthless.

Christina fans, you disappoint me. I cited a perfect recent example, the Not Myself Tonight video, which is the sleaziest piece of drek I've seen in a while. Is anyone here going to defend it? Stop acting like the statement was so off base. If the shoe fits...

Its not that people are defending 'it', its that people are slating her for having double standards! Thats what most are commenting on, not that videos are way OTT nowadays and rather desperate but that this lady has the balls to critisise someone for something shed probably be doing if she was in her prime right now. Shes done things previously that have been frowned upon, yet feels she must know critisise others???? Those in Glass houses.......:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for reviving an old-ish thread but I saw Blondie for the first time last week.. Feel the need to add my 2 cents now! It was genuinely one of the best gigs I've been to all year. Loved every minute of the set. The crowd did too- youtube "Blondie, Cork" if you have any doubts.

The band actually previewed some of the material from their upcoming album "Panic of Girls." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDcwq1FeP0g) Have to say, I thought the new stuff sounded great. The crowd were certainly really into it. As for the 'same old songs', as you put it, they were performed with various new twists that took them out of the 80s in a way.. For example, I loved how they worked the riff from Muse's "Uprising" into "Call Me." They also did a kick-ass cover of Taio Cruz's "Break Your Heart" which I'd love to get a studio version of..
    I don't think Blondie has been popular since the 80's.

Well, obviously they were at the peak of their powers in the 80's.. That doesn't mean they don't have plenty of young fans as well though. I'm 21 myself and I defo wasn't out of place at the gig.

That's just ageist.. Can't see what being 65 and wearing a wig and glasses has to do with anything? She's still unbelievably cool as far as I'm concerned! Sounded great and still looked super-nonchalant, as always. I've no idea what you mean about her leaving 'most of the work' to Tommy Kessler either.. She's the singer, not a guitarist? Did you expect her to play as well? :confused: Anyhow, I don't know about your gig, but Stein and Burke sounded impeccably sharp to me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deborah Harry has praised Madonna in the past, so to me, she is ridiculous to call anyone else out on the over the top, sexual antics of Madonna. Remember the sex coffee table book? Remember when "Erotica" was released? Oh it was OK for Madonna but if a singer is doing something similiar now, it's wrong? This is why I think Deborah Harry is a totally hypocritical.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blondie had the big selling no 1 single Maria 11 years ago and Debbie/ Deborah Harry scored two moderate hits on her own in the eighties after Blondie, even if the albums didn't do much. However, most people will admit the 1978-81 period is what they'd go and watch, same as most people who would go and see the Rolling Stones aren't much bothered about their newer stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deborah Harry has praised Madonna in the past, so to me, she is ridiculous to call anyone else out on the over the top, sexual antics of Madonna. Remember the sex coffee table book? Remember when "Erotica" was released? Oh it was OK for Madonna but if a singer is doing something similiar now, it's wrong? This is why I think Deborah Harry is a totally hypocritical.

To be fair, the article does explain pretty clearly why Debbie distinguishes between the likes of Madonna and more modern artists.
    The Blondie singer claimed that the sexiness in the music industry of her era was anti-establishment.
    That's hardly inaccurate is it? I mean, Madonna really sparked a cultural revolution in music. Her highly publicised views on sex etc. were ground-breaking at the time and challenged the public perception of women, sexuality etc. Debbie talks about "striving for individuality." Madonna's openness about sex was v. individualistic at the time. Nowadays though, it's not anti-establishment, it's just self-exploitation because 'everybody else is doing it.' Female artists seem to fear that they won't have any meaningful success if they don't out-raunch each other..

Secondly, there's one v. important difference between the likes of Christina and Madonna, for example. Everybody recognises that Madonna used her image to compensate for the fact that she's far from being a highly accomplished singer. On the other hand, as Debbie points out,
    Christina Aguilera has a won*derful voice but I don't know whether she feels she has to compete by being so overtly sexual
    What's wrong with that? I think she's 100% correct. Why does Christina feel the need to go down that road when she's got killer vocal talent! Madonna never had that, so you can see why she had to find another way to gain notoriety. Someone like Christina Aguilera shouldn't have to resort to those cheap stunts. It's just an unfortunate sign of the times that she feels obliged to.