Options

What are your opinions on meeting people online?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
Forum Member
Has anyone met a loved one/close friend online?

Does anyone plan to?

Is anyone against the idea?

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone plan to?

Discuss.

I'd meet you offline ;)
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've met a few fiends online yea.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I once accidentally met an online friend in real life. In my first year of (community) college I found out he was in the same building as me. Either the same year or the year after I was sitting in front of him during an exam. We were on different courses but both doing a Maths exam in a hall outside of college where those sitting either City & Guilds level 1 or level 2 were in the same hall at the same time.

He also doesn't live miles away from me though I've never knowingly been by his house or he mine (I've never given out that much personal information online :)).
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've met a few fiends online yea.

You're my favourite fiend *swoon* :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Made a few friends online but that's where I intend to keep things, and have no intention of meeting anyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never met anyone online. I'm an old guy and the people i've met have been through social occasions.

It's still happening now.

I moved to a small village 8 years ago and have many friends here now.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Does anyone plan to?

Discuss.

From a personal point of view, I've met 3 women IRL that I had originally contacted online. One I had a 7 year relationship with (we had a lot in common), the other 2 we either hadn't got much compatibility or very little in common.

So, you'll never know until you try.

Of course you can meet people online just as friends, but in my case I have enough of those anyway IRL. And I'm not sure if I would be comfortable meeting other DS members as a group, not that I'm shy or anything. Just that it's something I don't really want to do at this time. YMMV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meet them in real life, meet them online, what difference does it make? They'll soon find out I'm a sad lonely bastard with no friends. Just gonna stick to playing games till I die.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Chamcha wrote: »
    Meet them in real life, meet them online, what difference does it make? They'll soon find out I'm a sad lonely bastard with no friends. Just gonna stick to playing games till I die.

Don't you think that is overly pessimistic?

And that's me talking here, the world's leading misanthrope.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yes, i don`t see that it`s any different to meeting people in "real life":confused:
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got in touch with old friends online but haven't met new ones. I think I just watched too much Catfish!
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Meet people by all means, but have no expectations as the vast VAST majority will be time-wasters who have no idea what they want or how to get it!

So go out, have fun and if you find anything of meaning... appreciate it :)
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got in touch with old friends online but haven't met new ones. I think I just watched too much Catfish!
    Talhotblonde put me off online dating! :D
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are your opinions on meeting people online?
    Isn't that what a forum is, or am I just being pedantic here? But I'll assume the question is about meeting in real life people who you know from online, since that's how everyone else has taken it :p

Anyway as far as that goes then the only sensible advice is to play it by ear, like anything to do with relationships. The more you know about the person the more sensible it is, really.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was started on Monday .. might help

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1888299
  • Options
    Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    I found out that an online friend was going to be in Lindos, Rhodes the same time as me last year. We managed to meet up, despite not knowing what each other looked like, and had a lovely afternoon chatting on the beach about our common interests. We remain good friends today.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've made some great friends here on DS who are now my real-life friends too, including my best friend.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made a very good friend online. We have never met or spoken in person but we email, hook up on another forum and IM. We've also sent each other gifts, cards and piccies.

She is fab and I hope to meet her in RL one day.

I am also in touch with someone from here via email. We catch up from time to time, she is also a lovely lady.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes online friends are fantastic because you get to meet people from all over that are into the same things as you. I cant stand when people that dont go online much think that all online people are predators... AS IF!! Some of the best people I know I met online.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every bloke I've dated since 2003 (including ex of 5 years) has been met online. I've also got to know a few friends via t'Internet. I just don't meet men in RL who want to be anything more than friends.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Have met many online.
    Used to belong to another forum and we had a few meetups and I still see some of them regularly.

Met 2 exes online too.

I don't see it as any different than meeting a stranger in a pub.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met someone online who is now the closest person in my life and I couldn't be without her.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not against the idea, and I've been tempted to go along to one of Harry Valley's meet ups, but have always chickened out.

Maybe someday.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met someone online who is now the closest person in my life and I couldn't be without her.

Awww Saints!! :)

I assume you mean me anyway. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met someone on Monday. Was very awkward, but mostly because he didn't speak much English. :p