Steam Holiday Sale date leaked

Comments

• Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first venture into Steam sales today. Just purchased Arma 3, Skyrim and Trials Evolution gold and still had change from £40!

Brilliant.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outlast for £5 and Skyrim for £3, check Sleeping Dogs to, you have to buy these at them prices.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Are you new to Steam? If not I apologize if I'm being patronizing.

Basically the sales usually work like this. Almost all games are cut to some extent for the duration of the sale, usually by 25% or 50%. Every day certain games have "mega" sales where prices are slashed to 75% or more, and throughout the day certain games are featured in "flash sales" which essentially is a "mega" sale for less well known games.

As such it's a gamble. Although your wishlist now has games at 25% off, they may drop to 75/80% off during a mega sale. Personally I'd wait until the last day to buy at that price.

We spell it as patronising in the UK ;):p

I'm familiar with Steam so yes I know about the pricing. Not bought a thing so far... holding on to see if Skyrim the Legendary Edition goes down in price a tad :o
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Bought Portal 2 (OK a bit older of a game I admit) ;) but I did get the original portal gifted to me for free so eventually catching up (and still got £3 left in my bank account) ;)
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Thanksgiving where I live but it feels like Christmas!

I bought the RAINBOW SIX Collection (4 Games) for $14.99 - a steal at that price. The games play fine on Windows 7 64-Bit. The R6 series have been a favorite of mine for years so I'm happy to finally have it on STEAM.

I also bought the BROTHERS IN ARMS pack (3 games) for $9.99. I'm thrilled about that as well. :)
    silentNate wrote: »
    holding on to see if Skyrim the Legendary Edition goes down in price a tad :o

Same here. I have a feeling that it will be at least a couple of years before STEAM drops the price to $10 (my preferred price). I'm not a fantasy gamer (which is why I'm not buying this at $20) but I'm intrigued by this particular game and will check in on it every now and then during sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Bought Portal 2 (OK a bit older of a game I admit) ;) but I did get the original portal gifted to me for free so eventually catching up (and still got £3 left in my bank account) ;)

Portal 2 is one of the best games of all time! Enjoy! :) :cool:
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Costume Quest :o

Surprised you don't have Thomas Was Alone already? ;)

Yeah, Costume Quest was adorable and just so sweet. Whilst I never quite did halloween like they did in the game it made me feel like a kid again and it was a heart-warming experience. :)

Yeah, not got Thomas yet. Missed it an a bundle or two before I started going nuts buying said bundles. Was expecting it to come around again in another bundle sooner or later but it hasn't so far. Will shortly pick it up one way or the other - Christmas sale at the latest.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm familiar with Steam so yes I know about the pricing. Not bought a thing so far... holding on to see if Skyrim the Legendary Edition goes down in price a tad :o

It won't this side of Xmas. I believe the current sale is mirrored at Xmas from other posts.

Whereas I can't justify a tenner on Skyrim, just to sit on my "to play" list currently, it is a long and brilliant game and well worth a tenner if you do have time to sink into it over the festive period. As I have at least 6 months before I "need" to buy games, and no doubt more will go under my price range before then, then I'm fine with holding off.

The only game I will spend more than a tenner on, is Borderlands 2 GOTY if it appears for that price, and that's only because I loved Borderlands so much. The Elder Scrolls games are fun, but I don't feel the need to play them that drastically.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim (bought on 360 ages ago, got a bit bored halfway through, bought it for upcoming new PC to install hi-res textures and wander around going ooo and ahh, haven't got time to actually play the thing!
    Papers Please: Been meaning to get for a while.
    Tempted by XCOM but not sure I'll have gaming time to do it justice.

Hoping for BL2 GOTYand Baldurs Gate II (can't see it, just came out).
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    Skyrim (bought on 360 ages ago, got a bit bored halfway through, bought it for upcoming new PC to install hi-res textures and wander around going ooo and ahh, haven't got time to actually play the thing!
    Papers Please: Been meaning to get for a while.
    Tempted by XCOM but not sure I'll have gaming time to do it justice.

Papers Please is cool.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what to make of Thomas Was Alone, it left me dissatisfied in the end. The soundtrack is good, and there are some funny moments, but the puzzle platforming is pretty easy and the story seemed to end abruptly. Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention....
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »

Baldurs Gate 2 is unlikely. BG1 had a sale already so you'd think they'd be on the same day.
    Borderlands 2 GOTY I'm hopeful of a 75% one. It's been out long enough now for it to be discounted and you don't actually get everything (you'll still need to buy Upgrade Pack 2 and the 3 Headhunter Packs (only 2 out so far)). As such they may discount it just to get the sales on those 4 items up.

I'm hopeful for the Halflife pack.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought 'Skyrim' legendary edition for just over a tenner :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dishonored Game of the Year Edition just had a pricing error apparently - 92% off. http://i.imgur.com/Lgn99O5.jpg

It's fixed now (66%).

I picked up the vanilla version yesterday at gamefly for £3. Just had a look and they don't seem to be selling it anymore. They are offering the Goty edition at £9.99 which is 20p cheaper than Steam's sale price and with the code GFDNOV20UK you can get that down to around £8.

Speaking of vouchers - Green Man Gaming, are doing a "4 play" sale, similiar to Steam's flash sales right now. It's 4 games on sale every 4 hours. Voucher code TAREM-4PLAY-VOUCH for a further 20% off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    It won't this side of Xmas. I believe the current sale is mirrored at Xmas from other posts.

Whereas I can't justify a tenner on Skyrim, just to sit on my "to play" list currently, it is a long and brilliant game and well worth a tenner if you do have time to sink into it over the festive period. As I have at least 6 months before I "need" to buy games, and no doubt more will go under my price range before then, then I'm fine with holding off.

The only game I will spend more than a tenner on, is Borderlands 2 GOTY if it appears for that price, and that's only because I loved Borderlands so much. The Elder Scrolls games are fun, but I don't feel the need to play them that drastically.

Only six months... I have games in my Steam account I don't remember buying in the Summer Sale so I'm pretty much in the same position :o;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Yeah, Costume Quest was adorable and just so sweet. Whilst I never quite did halloween like they did in the game it made me feel like a kid again and it was a heart-warming experience. :)

Yeah, not got Thomas yet. Missed it an a bundle or two before I started going nuts buying said bundles. Was expecting it to come around again in another bundle sooner or later but it hasn't so far. Will shortly pick it up one way or the other - Christmas sale at the latest.

I'm holding out until Dec 25th to get my final Costume Quest achievement just out of respect... glad I'm not the only one on here completely sold on it's charms :o;)
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/34679/

Got to say for 22 Quid that well impressive!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm holding out until Dec 25th to get my final Costume Quest achievement just out of respect... glad I'm not the only one on here completely sold on it's charms :o;)

I'm kind of regretting what I did with that achievement. I've considered using that SAM (Steam Achievement Manager) thing that people use to unlock the achievements when they haven't done them to actually re-lock it. Heard you risk getting VAC banned for using that tool although apparently it's very unlikely, particularly as the game isn't an online multiplayer type game. Still, I'm a little wary, even if I'd be doing it for good reasons. :o

Flash sale:

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition - £3.74
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 4 pack - £16.99 or £4.25 each

4 pack more expensive per game than buying singles. Weird. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well BL2 GOTY is on at 50% (£20), that's OK I guess but not stellar. The base game is 10 if you've not played it yet (what's wrong with you?! :P ) Nothing else appealing to me in todays lot.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I just bought the X3 collection (Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude & Reunion) for about $12 ($4 per game). Been wanting a proper space sim for years (this game has a huge selection of mods too). I loved the X3 demo but not enough to pay full price. Yay steam sale! :D

I also bought MAX PAYNE 3 for $3.99. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metro: Last Light 66% off is probably the deal of the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got Civ5 and all the DLC for 7.50, bargain.

Oops, not all DLC, gold version anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Brave New World expansion is well worth it, especially at 66% off.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Metro: Last Light 66% off is probably the deal of the day.

It's a very good game as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Payday: The Heist (Not to be confused with Payday 2) is 90% off @ £1.49 or you can grab a 4 pack for £4.49.