Options

Assistance Dogs for the mentally ill

yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
Forum Member
✭✭
I was reading about Psychological Assistance Dogs which are quite popular in some other countries, particularly the US, along with emotional support dogs, which are less trained but allow people to register their dogs and have them in rented accommodation which wouldn't normally allow pets.

I think this is a great idea. Having a dog has helped my mental health enormously and given me much more confidence to go out and about. I couldn't even get on a bus until I had him with me.
Assistance dogs can be trained to spot if the handler is going to have a panic attack and stay close to them for support. Then of course is the benefit of company at home and providing a reason to stay healthy because you are responsible for the dogs well being.

Unfortunately the UK is still light years behind the US on this issue, with no sign of things changing.

Of course my own pet dog could never be a trained assistance dog because he is only interested in going to pet shops and butchers and would probably cock his leg if I took him into Boots.

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the punchline is "Well give him a biscuit and he'll let you"