Facebook - Does it fill a void in peoples lives?

Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
Forum Member
Could you imagine going a day without using Facebook? If not, you're probably addicted to it....

You're probably addicted to the following:

Snooping on others
The self validation you get from posting pics and status's that get 'likes'
Feeling popular/worthy
Keeping a close eye on your friends/partners/family
and much more.....

I used to be addicted to Facebook - I'd find myself trying to think of a decent status to post to get some attention, and then deleting it after 5 minutes or so if it didn't receive enough likes, or even worse - none at all. I'd also spend a lot of time looking at other peoples FB's and comparing my life to theirs....One day, enough was enough....

I truly feel my life has improved since 'parting ways' with my Facebook account. No longer do I feel the need to attention seek on social media, no longer do I feel frustrated with other peoples online attention seeking, and I've stopped comparing myself to other people (who are irrelevant in my daily life) and I feel I've been able to be a more positive person.

Does Facebook fill a void in peoples lives?

Would you wonder what to do with yourself throughout half the day if you couldn't use it anymore?

Side note - I'm not trying to be provocative here, just sparking some healthy debate about good old Facebook :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only really use Facebook for snooping on others. Someone was talking about their weight to me yesterday on a photo i commented on, they mentioned how they were on a diet so i asked them did they lose much weight?! I then got a narked reply "Haven't you seen my status? I posted yesterday". It's like nowadays you can't ask someone a question without having to route through status's to check first. I'd much rather ask someone a question personally than to have to read a status.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the vast majority of people use Facebook for exactly what it is supposed to be. A somewhat pointless, but useful addition to their daily lives. A way to keep in contact with people they wouldn't normally see, to share photos and look at photos their friends share.

I can see that some people get addicted to it, but then people are addicted to all sorts of things.

I don't think it 'fills a void' for most people. It's just a good time waster and way to be a bit nosy and vain sometimes. Which we all can be, but having an easy way to do it is going to appeal to people.

You could say the same about DS, does it fill a void in our lives? Maybe for some people, but for most, sitting here discussing things with people we are never going to meet is pretty pointless really. But it's enjoyable and a simple way to spend spare time.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I think the vast majority of people use Facebook for exactly what it is supposed to be. A somewhat pointless, but useful addition to their daily lives. A way to keep in contact with people they wouldn't normally see, to share photos and look at photos their friends share.

I can see that some people get addicted to it, but then people are addicted to all sorts of things.

I don't think it 'fills a void' for most people. It's just a good time waster and way to be a bit nosy and vain sometimes. Which we all can be, but having an easy way to do it is going to appeal to people.

You could say the same about DS, does it fill a void in our lives? Maybe for some people, but for most, sitting here discussing things with people we are never going to meet is pretty pointless really. But it's enjoyable and a simple way to spend spare time.

Agree with this. Through FB, I'm back in touch with quite a few people that I'd lost touch with over the years due to moving away, husbands, kids, jobs etc. OK, some of those people it wouldn't have mattered a jot if you'd never heard of them again but others were fabulous to hear from again.

Also, for me, it means I get to heard about events that I might not have necessarily been aware of. BY friending certain people, like DJ's on the circuit, I've had invites to weekends and all day events and got to make some new friends and see other people from back in the day as well.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    I only really use Facebook for snooping on others. Someone was talking about their weight to me yesterday on a photo i commented on, they mentioned how they were on a diet so i asked them did they lose much weight?! I then got a narked reply "Haven't you seen my status? I posted yesterday". It's like nowadays you can't ask someone a question without having to route through status's to check first. I'd much rather ask someone a question personally than to have to read a status.

Pahaha loving the honesty!!!

I used to find it weird when you'd tell somebody something, and then they'd be like 'oh yeah, I saw it on facebook' in reference to a status you posted and had long forgotten about. This is when I realised that people really are 'looking' at your page, whether they 'comment' or 'like' or remain 'anonymous' - they're watching...

Every new starter at work gets 'Facebooked' and judged immediately....Scary stuff.

I think Facebook has become so ingrained into todays society that many wouldn't be able to cope without it....
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Agree with this. Through FB, I'm back in touch with quite a few people that I'd lost touch with over the years due to moving away, husbands, kids, jobs etc. OK, some of those people it wouldn't have mattered a jot if you'd never heard of them again but others were fabulous to hear from again.

Also, for me, it means I get to heard about events that I might not have necessarily been aware of. BY friending certain people, like DJ's on the circuit, I've had invites to weekends and all day events and got to make some new friends and see other people from back in the day as well.

Yep, this is definitely one of the few 'pros' for me, that I kind of miss. For event's, and party planning, it's definitely useful!
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Could you imagine going a day without using Facebook? If not, you're probably addicted to it....

Snooping on others
    Feeling popular/worthy
    and much more.....

I used to be addicted to Facebook - I'd find myself trying to think of a decent status to post to get some attention, and then deleting it after 5 minutes or so if it didn't receive enough likes, or even worse - none at all. I'd also spend a lot of time looking at other peoples FB's and comparing my life to theirs....One day, enough was enough....

I truly feel my life has improved since 'parting ways' with my Facebook account. No longer do I feel the need to attention seek on social media, no longer do I feel frustrated with other peoples online attention seeking, and I've stopped comparing myself to other people (who are irrelevant in my daily life) and I feel I've been able to be a more positive person.

Would you wonder what to do with yourself throughout half the day if you couldn't use it anymore?

Side note - I'm not trying to be provocative here, just sparking some healthy debate about good old Facebook :D
    Yet starting a thread here?? Hmmm- something tells me you & social media ain't through.
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Yet starting a thread here?? Hmmm- something tells me you & social media ain't through.

Not really pal - just commented on someones thread in advice, who was complaining about somebody posting an unflattering pic of her on facebook - I went off topic with my 'anti facebook' rant, so decided to start my own thread :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »

Yep definitely. And just keeping in touch with ones who move. I have one best friend in America and one in Australia now. Having this quick way to see what they are up to and their pictures is lovely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every new starter at work gets 'Facebooked' and judged immediately....Scary stuff.

I would never accept people I have just started to work with onto my Facebook. If we then become friends then sure, but no way would I have random colleagues on it anymore than I would have random any other people.

And if they aren't my friend they can't see anything.
    Forum Member
    Yep definitely. And just keeping in touch with ones who move. I have one best friend in America and one in Australia now. Having this quick way to see what they are up to and their pictures is lovely.

Sounds nice, but what do you hate about Facebook? Too much positivity here - bring on the negative shiz!!! :cool::D
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Facebook to keep in touch with my family.
    Three of my 4 kids live away...one in Sweden.

My hobby is photography, so, I have lots of photos on there as well as a photography page.
    Forum Member
    I would never accept people I have just started to work with onto my Facebook. If we then become friends then sure, but no way would I have random colleagues on it anymore than I would have random any other people.

And if they aren't my friend they can't see anything.

Oh by 'Facebooked' I meant people search them up and have a cheeky snoop - it still amazes me that 80% of them all have their pictures as public and most of their wall too. I guess some are just not too bothered about privacy these days....
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

Snooping on others
    Feeling popular/worthy
    and much more.....

I think what you're actually trying to do is validate your own decisions here in much the same way as you did when you used Facebook. And by suggesting that Facebook fills a void you're engaging in a bit of self-affirmation/constructing a positive self image, since implicitly you're saying that as an ex-user you don't use it to fill a void like others might.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds nice, but what do you hate about Facebook? Too much positivity here - bring on the negative shiz!!! :cool::D

Sorry! I guess I just don't really hate Facebook :cry: I do hate how some people use it though (passive aggressive statuses etc) but I delete those people so don't have to deal with them.
    Oh by 'Facebooked' I meant people search them up and have a cheeky snoop - it still amazes me that 80% of them all have their pictures as public and most of their wall too. I guess some are just not too bothered about privacy these days....

Oh, they're silly then. But saying that I have had people I've worked with a day add me!
    Forum Member
    I think what you're actually trying to do is validate your own decisions here in much the same way as you did when you used Facebook. And by suggesting that Facebook fills a void you're engaging in a bit of self-affirmation/constructing a positive self image, since implicitly you're saying that as an ex-user you don't use it to fill a void like others might.

True story, well spotted :D
    Forum Member
    Sorry! I guess I just don't really hate Facebook :cry: I do hate how some people use it though (passive aggressive statuses etc) but I delete those people so don't have to deal with them.

That's the thing, it got to the point where 95% of the people on there annoyed to me the point that I wanted to delete them. I don't know what that says about me and my friend circle/acquaintances (:o), but it seems like people who are totally sound, and cool, in daily life become an absolute tit on their facebook page...lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the thing, it got to the point where 95% of the people on there annoyed to me the point that I wanted to delete them. I don't know what that says about me and my friend circle/acquaintances (:o), but it seems like people who are totally sound, and cool, in daily life become an absolute tit on their facebook page...lol

Yeah I think that might be the people you know unfortunately :D I do agree that some decent people can turn into tits on social media though.

I have a few hundred people on mine none of whom are particularly annoying. I have a couple who are but they are good entertainment. It does make me laugh when people moan that their friends post racist/homophobic/whatever other stuff and they are offended by it and kind of blame Facebook.. I think that might be more to do with your friend choices than a website...
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Snooping on others
    Feeling popular/worthy
    and much more.....

Are you also going to part company with Digital Spy too - on the basis that it is also online social media ?
    Forum Member
    Are you also going to part company with Digital Spy too - on the basis that it is also online social media ?

Only if you ask me to.....
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't fill a void, but as my husband is in the armed forces our family and friends are all over the world, so it's a fantastic way of staying in touch with them all.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live thousands of miles away from my friends and family, so Facebook is my window home. It's an easy, centralised way to interact with everyone I miss and keep up to date as all the local news. I don't add strangers, I don't do drama, and I keep the snooping to a minimum, I promise. I wouldn't post anything I wasn't comfortable sharing, so why would I worry about my friends reading my page??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook is needed as much as a `Hole in your head`>:(
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook is only really mostly middle aged/older people using it now anyway, Young people have these new sites like Twitter and Instagram.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook is only really mostly middle aged/older people using it now anyway, Young people have these new sites like Twitter and Instagram.

How old are you?! Most people I know are in their 20s and they are on it. Or is that older and middle aged to you? ;-)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their is a spilt in the 20 year olds then, Some do some don't.

I like Twitter more then Facebook personally.