Options

Do you want a back to basics BB next year?

Comments

• Options
    Flight815-23DFlight815-23D Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    so sex & nudity sells for c5 and another call for the past when it didnt exist i guess...

was kinga c5?
    was jade c5?

no... they c4 in the peak years and so the series was never as you think it was.

It's not sex and nudity that differentiate C5, it's ignorance. There have always been stupid people on BB, but on C5, stupidity is championed as a virtue, not something for everyone to agree is a bad idea. C5 is dumbed down for a baser audience, but the question is, is the audience really that troglodyte, or do people just accept that it is, because C5 says so?
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Yes as in, NO messing with nominations whatsoever, no twists with the nom's, no save and replace, back to the two or three with the most votes, no false evictions enabling housemates to listen in (what was with pretending to evict Helen and letting her listen in for part of the last week, why Helen??) No outside information at all, and longer tasks that have them doing the tasks 24 hours. It's not hard.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the first couple of c5 efforts were clearly down market, and aimed at a very tight 16-25 demographic that was very silly and largely a massive flop

but bb14 & bb15 were not "dumb" or stupid... they were dark, mentally aimed games... and moved their target audience away from the BBC3 audience.

so again.. this is an "occupy" thread where everyone is saying "boo to the current" but offering totally different reasons, solutions and when challenged hardly valid memories of the past to the present.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the debacle of this year's show, I think the C5 could genuinely sell a revamped retro / old-skool / original style BB as something 'new and exciting!' to the public.

It'd be like a nineties revival, or something. I mean they managed it with the eighties, and who the hell wanted THAT miserable decade back in fashion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the first couple of c5 efforts were clearly down market, and aimed at a very tight 16-25 demographic that was very silly and largely a massive flop

but bb14 & bb15 were not "dumb" or stupid... they were dark, mentally aimed games... and moved their target audience away from the BBC3 audience.

so again.. this is an "occupy" thread where everyone is say "boo to the current" but offering totally different reasons, solutions and when challenged hardly valid memories of the past to the present.

BB14 highlighted nothing but showmances. We were supposed to care who Charlie Travers spent he time with, and were forced to endure her opening her mouth for cumulative hours.

BB15 focused on Helen, Winston, Ashleigh and Mark. The intelligent members of the house rarely saw the focus, even when we could clearly see, and occasionally overhear, them having conversations in the background. The majority of Ashleigh's contributions to the show were whining and plotting against people she whined about. The majority of Helen's contributions were tantrums. The majority of Winston's were vacant smiles, and the majority of Mark's were overwrought, contrived bs he was too thick to see the public would see right through.

The closest to dark was Marlon and Danielle's eviction week, and even then, they were brief shocks that did nothing but mirror the inevitable.
  • Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, bigger tasks like bb1&2 to give them something too do, and with decent casting the producers won't need to manipulate every minute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    Let's face it, we get the tv we deserve. BB purists like myself have probably hated this and the last few series. But confrontation, nudity and sex obviously sells or Ch5 wouldn't have carried on down that route.

I'm guessing that the majority of the current voters wouldn't even remember BB One. Relatively normal people, plenty of conversation, tasks which didn't focus purely on humiliation or confrontation, basic food budgets and few treats, chickens in the garden and veg plots to tend. A housemate trying to influence another's vote was seen as the most evil possible act and he had to leave via the back door. When hm's were evicted on a friday night it was so much more low key, with just a handful of people clapping them.

Would that format still work?

Dearest Margerie.

Not sured I'd want it as basic as the first one, that seems a bit dated now, and it just shows you how fast we've advanced digitally, although I would like to see each and every housemate be up for eviction every week, and all evictions left to the public.

They were even allowed pen and paper this year.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB14 highlighted nothing but showmances. We were supposed to care who Charlie Travers spent he time with, and were forced to endure her opening her mouth for cumulative hours.

BB15 focused on Helen, Winston, Ashleigh and Mark. The intelligent members of the house rarely saw the focus, even when we could clearly see, and occasionally overhear, them having conversations in the background. .

bb14 was all secrets and lies... what you saw of the show might not have been what other people picked up from the show... it all depends on "how you tune in" to what is going on... showmances were just the background gimmick

bb15 was the opposite to secrets and lies, any secret was immediately exposed, any clique broken up

they formed the mental game platform... again, what you saw of it was only part of what was going on - and as you seem to be at odds to a lot of the posts on this forum about how dark and how centered around depressing themes i feel you missed one of the perspective frequencies others picked up on.

big brother is a show with many simultaneous stories being told.. some people tune into some of the perspectives more than other perspectives and see it only through that lens
  • Options
    Rough DiamondRough Diamond Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they stopped giving us the24/7 live show you just knew the editing would be unfair and that way they could manipulate the show.:(
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not sex and nudity that differentiate C5, it's ignorance. There have always been stupid people on BB, but on C5, stupidity is championed as a virtue, not something for everyone to agree is a bad idea. C5 is dumbed down for a baser audience, but the question is, is the audience really that troglodyte, or do people just accept that it is, because C5 says so?
    I think your forgetting your BB history.
    Are you saying ch4 never saw Jades dumb act as a virtue..what about winner Belo?
    Come on now lets be totally honest here ch4 championed the dumb act and even encouraged it with things like the twins telepathy test.
    First time I saw it and saw BB encourage it was Helen in BB2..how many times did they show helens dumb moments.
    C5 have actually encouraged the gameplayer more than anything and you dont get to be a real gameplayer by just playing dumb.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rachael7 wrote: »
    Yes, but sadly it's not going to happen. :(

This.
  • Options
    Captain KipperCaptain Kipper Posts: 9,913
    Forum Member
    Lets go back to non zeleb regular people who don't have agents, lets have a bunch of interesting but normal people in next year onwards.

No hope of that tho. :(
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    k0213818 wrote: »
    No ex prostitutes from Bolton would be a good start as well.

I disagree. Love her or loathe her, she was an excellent choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets go back to non zeleb regular people who don't have agents, lets have a bunch of interesting but normal people in next year onwards.

No hope of that tho. :(
    First question I would ask,and I dont disagree with you but..
    In this age of Camerontwatitis how on earth can a normal person,average joe/jolene take 10 weeks off work,they would have to quit their job and that would mean if they are kicked out early they lost their job,cannot claim benefit till they get another job and nobody will want to take someone on if they know this person quit their job to be on a reality tv show.
    Also Helen has a salon,she was not a famous model or anything,she happened to get her picture in the newspaper thats all..she actually is a regular joe in many ways.
  • Options
    Captain KipperCaptain Kipper Posts: 9,913
    Forum Member
    SG-1 wrote: »
    First question I would ask,and I dont disagree with you but..
    In this age of Camerontwatitis how on earth can a normal person,average joe/jolene take 10 weeks off work,they would have to quit their job and that would mean if they are kicked out early they lost their job,cannot claim benefit till they get another job and nobody will want to take someone on if they know this person quit their job to be on a reality tv show.
    Also Helen has a salon,she was not a famous model or anything,she happened to get her picture in the newspaper thats all..she actually is a regular joe in many ways.

BB used to get regular people to be HM's up until the last few years, I have no idea how they got time off work.... but it's always possible.

I think you know full well that Helen didn't get into the BB house by being a Salon owner. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think your forgetting your BB history.
    Are you saying ch4 never saw Jades dumb act as a virtue..what about winner Belo?
    Come on now lets be totally honest here ch4 championed the dumb act and even encouraged it with things like the twins telepathy test.
    First time I saw it and saw BB encourage it was Helen in BB2..how many times did they show helens dumb moments.
    C5 have actually encouraged the gameplayer more than anything and you dont get to be a real gameplayer by just playing dumb.

CH4 may have championed, but they were also in on the joke. Now they pretend they're not.
  • Options
    MissDeeBlueMissDeeBlue Posts: 4,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dream... the impossible dream...

why? because with the way of things today, compared to the days of BB1, Nudity would not be aired, freedom of speech/singing would not be aired. There would be no LF,

the BB I know and loved was similar to twelve 10 year olds being left in charge of a huge house, for 3 months, with the freedom to do ANYTHING.. Now, there are so many legal boxes to be signed, so many rules, high control, there is not even a proper outdoors anymore (netted gardens) so the HM cannot do random escapes etc etc the random freedom and unexpected events has died a death

Now, its all carefully scripted and plotted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB used to get regular people to be HM's up until the last few years, I have no idea how they got time off work.... but it's always possible.

I think you know full well that Helen didn't get into the BB house by being a Salon owner. lol
    Yes but the point about helen is she is an average joe except she got her name in the papers just like shabazz,derek,lea,freddie and a few others ..if you say no models,no media connected housemates then you rule out some of ch4s major players over the years .
    Years ago people could quit their job and either get another one easy enough or go on benefit till they got a job..now you cant do that,jobs are scarce despite the crap cameron comes out with and most places now have you on dreadful contracts that mean your on call any time.
    Times have changed and what they did years ago is not possible these days unless you have a major backup.
    I dont think the real problem is media connected housemates as such,thats been happening since bb5,the problem now is theres no variation.
    A few models and hms that have been on shows is ok but when all the hms have had similar background it becomes the problem.

The other question then is will regular joes be boring?
    BB4 was.
    BB5 onwards started mixing it up by headhunting and looking for the outrageous.

Also this new generation of housemates are very media aware not because of jobs they do but because they have been brought up on social networking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CH4 may have championed, but they were also in on the joke. Now they pretend they're not.
    Well straight off my head I can think of Alex Rose who was compared to jade and how BB toyed with her on several ocassions,the best being the yes/no spraytan.
    To be honest I cant think of many acting dumb housemates on ch5.
    As I said they have gone more for gameplayers like Aaron,Anton,Dexter,Gina.

They even made a point of exposing winstons dumb down act.
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but the point about helen is she is an average joe except she got her name in the papers just like shabazz,derek,lea,freddie and a few others ..if you say no models,no media connected housemates then you rule out some of ch4s major players over the years .
    Years ago people could quit their job and either get another one easy enough or go on benefit till they got a job..now you cant do that,jobs are scarce despite the crap cameron comes out with and most places now have you on dreadful contracts that mean your on call any time.
    Times have changed and what they did years ago is not possible these days unless you have a major backup.
    I dont think the real problem is media connected housemates as such,thats been happening since bb5,the problem now is theres no variation.
    A few models and hms that have been on shows is ok but when all the hms have had similar background it becomes the problem.

The other question then is will regular joes be boring?
    BB4 was.
    BB5 onwards started mixing it up by headhunting and looking for the outrageous.

Also this new generation of housemates are very media aware not because of jobs they do but because they have been brought up on social networking.

Christ I hope not otherwise as Fraser used to say in Dads Army "we are all doomed "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats_Eyes wrote: »
    Christ I hope not otherwise as Fraser used to say in Dads Army "we are all doomed "
    LOL :D
    Theres plenty of average joes with mouths far worse than helens though..was talking about this earlier today the likes of victor would be seen as a bully in todays society.
  • Options
    Sandra_BainbridSandra_Bainbrid Posts: 8,193
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    'Fight Night' went down in BB history as being the most confrontational moment, ever.

Shell Jubin streaked round the garden, Bex and god knows how many others got their tits out and jumped in the pool.

As a 'purist' why don't you remember the stuff that doesn't fit your argument?

What 'Nasty Nick' did fifteen long years ago wouldn't be a big deal now.

Look how much the world has changed since then - why should time stand still for this one programme and why do you think the people who make it will listen to this kind of stuff that's said so often by so many yet ignored?
    I strongly believe nominations should be kept secret and not talked about. Face to Face nominations should go. Twitter messages should not be published either. Housemates do not need to know what other housemates are saying about them or the public.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind a bit of nudity or sex, it's people like Helen I can't abide, & the public either liked it or did it for a laugh, either way... SHAME ON YOU!

BACK TO THE REAL BIG BROTHER!
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think I would want it to go right back to basics but I definetly want less or even no contact from the outside world, none of this focus groups and twitter questions, the diary room chats should remain private and not be shown to other hms, bring back the shopping list with the chalkboard, tougher tasks and basic rations means basic!
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    We will never have BB back

An honest BB is a pipe dream

Three will never be a return to live stream or anything like that
    as we will not be able to see the housemates reading their scripts if they have them
    if the housemates can read???

Producer involvement in the show and it's daily running seems to have lost its base of original fans.

Please let me know who will win CBB before I watch it so I know whether it's worth it
    Anyone out there
    Thanks