Options

Single frame advance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
Forum Member
Can the 9200 do this? Can't find anything in the manual, and fiddling with the remote hasn't got me anywhere.

If it's not possible, is it something that has been on a wishlist?

Apart from one or two little things like this, I am SO impressed with this box, and I have upgraded to 1.06 with no trouble today.

Comments

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can frame advance/rewind whilst in edit mode.

Recorded Programmes, cursor to the programme you want and press the opt+ key, pause programme, then use the cursor key to move highlighted box to the single arrows, press OK to advance or rewind.

Page GB 36 gives a better definition of the controls.

Not ideal, but that is the only method I am aware of to single frame advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Barry, I must check that out. I have a Pioneer 440, so I could transfer it to that for any real need, but this will possibly be useful for a quick look. As long as I don't actually change the HDD contents of course. I'll check.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget you need to press pause before you can access all the editing keys. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Actually at first glance this menu looks frightening. Yes I can get single frame advance, but the button choices are Save, Delete, or Split - don't want any of those. It seems the Exit button on the remote is all-powerful and SO necessary.

Some of the Humax human interfaces do seem peculiar. I went into the HDD Control screen to look at percentages and things, and there's a Format button! The only button! I do hope it leads to an "Are You Sure" button, but this is not good design - I came out of there PDQ!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I don't think it jumps a single frame. It appears to jump a number of frames for each step.
  • Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very pleased with my Humax until I started trying to edit.
    Have recorded a programme to test whether the editing will match my Pioneer HDD recorder.
    Once I enter the edit mode and press OPT it is impossible to highlight any of the transport controls .
    I can highlight the bar and use the left and right keys and ok to skip back and forth in the recording but as for pausing and moving forward 100 frames etc as per the manual I don't seem to be able to do it.
    For logical operation and user friendliness this box ranks alongside some of the Philips dogs I've used.
    The manual does not help a bit.
    What it tells me to do will not work.
    How do I highlight the transport controls?
  • Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just sussed it.
    Thanks for that.
    Checked the manual and I can't see any reference to the pause button in there.
    But having performed an ad edit I found the results to be totally unacceptable.
    Picture breakup and sound glitches galore.
    Looks like my Pioneer is still in business.
    Not sure the Humax editing function is worth a light with those results.
    Luckily its not a reason I bought it and its still way ahead of the Sony/Fusion boxes.
    Would hope Humax may make the editing feature work properly at some point though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mongosito wrote:
    I was very pleased with my Humax until I started trying to edit.
    Have recorded a programme to test whether the editing will match my Pioneer HDD recorder.
    Once I enter the edit mode and press OPT it is impossible to highlight any of the transport controls .
    I can highlight the bar and use the left and right keys and ok to skip back and forth in the recording but as for pausing and moving forward 100 frames etc as per the manual I don't seem to be able to do it.
    For logical operation and user friendliness this box ranks alongside some of the Philips dogs I've used.
    The manual does not help a bit.
    What it tells me to do will not work.
    How do I highlight the transport controls?

I tried to do it (OK I admit without the manual) but found it so unintuitive I gave up. So will be interested to find someone who can guide through what it can do and how.

Fenderbender, one of the FAQs missing on hummy.org.uk methinks!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    I tried to do it (OK I admit without the manual) but found it so unintuitive I gave up. So will be interested to find someone who can guide through what it can do and how.

Amazed..

Words fail me...

Something on the 9200T you have not sussed ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mongosito wrote:
    Just sussed it.
    Thanks for that.
    Checked the manual and I can't see any reference to the pause button in there.
    But having performed an ad edit I found the results to be totally unacceptable.
    Picture breakup and sound glitches galore.
    Looks like my Pioneer is still in business.
    Not sure the Humax editing function is worth a light with those results.
    Luckily its not a reason I bought it and its still way ahead of the Sony/Fusion boxes.
    Would hope Humax may make the editing feature work properly at some point though

Quite agree, it is ok for trimming the beginning and end, but do not use it during a programme. I suspect it only 'cuts'n'shunts' the programme and does not bother to join back together any of the streams.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Seems to be a matter of expectations - the way that the marketing materials raise user expectations paves the way for disappointments.

I would feel much happier with the box if they hadn't bothered with the MP3 and JPEG capabilities - if I hadn't expected the features then I wouldn't have been disappointed when I found that they don't work anything like as well as one might have anticipated.

Similarly, if the "editing" feature had been marketed as simply a mechanism to trim and split recordings then I would have been very happy with it. (The ability to trim programmes was one of the factors that induced me to switch from the 8000T - I was losing a lot of disk space from padding the recordings that could have been reclaimed if I could trim the recordings.) The trim and split functionality does everything that I want but it's not a full editing tool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:

I posted this back in October.

"This is the quickest way I have found to edit out the ads:

Menu - Record - Recorded Programme, Select the programme for editing - press Play and the recording starts in the window. FFWD to the start of the ad break - press Stop - then press Opt+ key. The cursor is now in the required place on the slider bar to press 'Pause' and use the on-screen keys to fine tune the edit."

I have since realised that, alternatively, you can stop normal playback at the start of the ad break then re-enter the recording at that point via Menu - Record - Recorded Programme. Press Stop - then press Opt+ key. Press 'Pause' to activate and use the on screen keys.