Options

British tourism suffers post-Brexit vote slump

Comments

• Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    The independent has become the remainers daily express.
    It's shameless propaganda and promoting of false facts shouldn't be allowed in this forum.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    It's shameless propaganda and promoting of false facts shouldn't be allowed in this forum.

Why stop there?
    Why don't you attempt to ban links to Financial Journalists at the FT?

The worst that can happen is that everybody will laugh at you.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panic not report on Bloomberg yesterday that working class are cutting back holidays abroad this year due to collapse in pound making it too expensive. They can go to Blackpool and Skegness instead.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Panic not report on Bloomberg yesterday that working class are cutting back holidays abroad this year due to collapse in pound making it too expensive. They can go to Blackpool and Skegness instead.

Great news! Not only is out inbound tourism setting new records (the opposite of what The Engineer claimed) but more money could be spent here, hopefully in fellow British communities which need the support.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    Why stop there?
    Why don't you attempt to ban links to Financial Journalists at the FT?

The worst that can happen is that everybody will laugh at you.

I wasn't aware that the FT were spreading propaganda and false facts, the express and independent on the other hand..........
  • Options
    Paris Le RocParis Le Roc Posts: 330
    Forum Member

You say that like its bad news. This sort of thing is great for their local economies and in turn the UK's economy.
  • Options
    James_OrtonJames_Orton Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news indeed, especially as it looks like retail spending is under pressure. Having more foreign tourists and stay at home ones can only help the British economy.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is surprising in view of the falling pound. So why have foreign tourists not flocked to the UK? Well, it could be the winter weather, the uncertainty of response to foreigners, or higher prices in the UK. Time will tell, but if the trend goes on into the summer UK tourism is going to take a massive hit. An afterthought: if I were a potential foreign tourist why would I want to come to the UK at the moment anyway?
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because unlike this slightly sneering post many more people in the UK know we have some stunning areas to visit.

I'd rather spend a week on the north Yorkshire Coast or the Peak District with views that rival many other places than a fortnight on some European beach doing nothing but sunbathing.
  • Options
    Nigel_BrooksNigel_Brooks Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    WHAT!:eek::eek: Marg bumping one of the Engineer's #fakenews doom and gloom threads? Surely not!
    But... but... lets's go with FACTS.

New figures show 2016 a record-breaker for inbound tourism
    New figures out today show more overseas visitors came to the UK last year than ever before.
    In 2016 there were a record 37.3 million inbound visits to the UK, up 3% on 2015 with visitors spending £22.2 billion, matching 2015’s record spend.
    The figures show strong growth in 2016 from North America, Canada and the US - the latter Britain’s most valuable tourism source market, with 4.3 million visits, up 7% on 2015.
    There were a record 25.3 million visits from the EU in 2016, up 4% on 2015.
    Comparing growth during the last six years shows there were 7.5 million more visits in 2016 than 2010, an increase of 25%.
    Inbound visits to friends and relatives saw strong growth throughout 2016 with a record-breaking 11.5 million visits, up 10% on 2015.
    Latest flight booking data shows that 2017 is off to a strong start with flight bookings to the UK up 16% for February to April compared to the same period last year.
    Tourism is worth £127 billion annually to the UK economy, creating jobs and boosting economic growth across its nations and regions.

Great news yet again , the Theengineer as an honourable human being will obviously be along with all the other remainers to applaud this brilliant news.
  • Options
    Nigel_BrooksNigel_Brooks Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is surprising in view of the falling pound. So why have foreign tourists not flocked to the UK? Well, it could be the winter weather, the uncertainty of response to foreigners, or higher prices in the UK. Time will tell, but if the trend goes on into the summer UK tourism is going to take a massive hit. An afterthought: if I were a potential foreign tourist why would I want to come to the UK at the moment anyway?

You have lost me, did you read the latest figures at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Er. He was wrong. You might want to turn that frown upside down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some people only read headlines. Others the entire content and the rest read it all and fact check.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suggest that you refresh yourself:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7417206.html

Quote:
    Sterling has fallen by more than 10 per cent against the euro and dollar since the vote in June to leave the EU, which should make the UK more attractive to foreign tourists – but bookings for London, the engine for UK tourism, have plummeted.

Preliminary figures from the global hotel data firm STR, analysed by The Independent, show that the number of empty hotel beds in the capital increased by more than one-third in October compared with a year earlier. Average rates fell by 7.7 per cent to below £150.
    So much for all those foreign tourists coming to Britain,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, you would, and in greater numbers.
    Mr Strut you've missed that I bumped an old Engineer thread because their usual Independent rot has been proved to be just that when the actual figures are released.
    See my post quoted by Nigel Brooks above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest that you refresh yourself:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7417206.html

Quote:
    Sterling has fallen by more than 10 per cent against the euro and dollar since the vote in June to leave the EU, which should make the UK more attractive to foreign tourists – but bookings for London, the engine for UK tourism, have plummeted.

Preliminary figures from the global hotel data firm STR, analysed by The Independent, show that the number of empty hotel beds in the capital increased by more than one-third in October compared with a year earlier. Average rates fell by 7.7 per cent to below £150.
    So much for all those foreign tourists coming to Britain,

Let me help with today's news:
    New figures out today show more overseas visitors came to the UK last year than ever before.
    In 2016 there were a record 37.3 million inbound visits to the UK, up 3% on 2015 with visitors spending £22.2 billion, matching 2015’s record spend.
    The figures show strong growth in 2016 from North America, Canada and the US - the latter Britain’s most valuable tourism source market, with 4.3 million visits, up 7% on 2015.
    There were a record 25.3 million visits from the EU in 2016, up 4% on 2015.
    Comparing growth during the last six years shows there were 7.5 million more visits in 2016 than 2010, an increase of 25%.
    Inbound visits to friends and relatives saw strong growth throughout 2016 with a record-breaking 11.5 million visits, up 10% on 2015.
    Latest flight booking data shows that 2017 is off to a strong start with flight bookings to the UK up 16% for February to April compared to the same period last year.
    Tourism is worth £127 billion annually to the UK economy, creating jobs and boosting economic growth across its nations and regions.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news indeed, especially as it looks like retail spending is under pressure. Having more foreign tourists and stay at home ones can only help the British economy.

Finally you acknowledge the retail figures. Hmm......
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-reading the article, it doesn't really say there's a decrease in visitors or spending, just hotel rooms - price and occupancy.

Firstly re Winter rates always drop , people have a moan about high prices in summer when in fact they are the normal Rack Rates and when we as an industry really make our profit, off season the rates are largely discounted and always have been.

Michael O'Leary waded in and said he would be cutting flights this winter at Stansted by 40% due to the Brexit vote alone. The man lied as usual as he cuts flights every winter from Stansted and has been doing since 2007 and 2008 when he cut them by 20% , he then cut them by around 40% each winter since 2009 so he cut no more than he usually does. he may of course be regretting it now as Stansted in general had a very good winter better than previous years and had a record January alone with a 5% increase.

Hotels in London have been very busy , a busier winter than the one before. The thing is the figures are taken from OTA's etc and do not take account of those booking direct with hotels and people are having used OTA's starting to contact hotels direct and ask can they get a better deal.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nic6 wrote: »
    LOL :D

The Leftie Luvvies still busy scaremongering I see.

Right wing are luvvies because they don't give a toss about anyone else. The Engineer is neither, he is a centralist. You can tell by his posts that he isn't a luvvie. Is this doublespeak :confused:
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Firstly re Winter rates always drop , people have a moan about high prices in summer when in fact they are the normal Rack Rates and when we as an industry really make our profit, off season the rates are largely discounted and always have been.

Michael O'Leary waded in and said he would be cutting flights this winter at Stansted by 40% due to the Brexit vote alone. The man lied as usual as he cuts flights every winter from Stansted and has been doing since 2007 and 2008 when he cut them by 20% , he then cut them by around 40% each winter since 2009 so he cut no more than he usually does. he may of course be regretting it now as Stansted in general had a very good winter better than previous years and had a record January alone with a 5% increase.

Hotels in London have been very busy , a busier winter than the one before. The thing is the figures are taken from OTA's etc and do not take account of those booking direct with hotels and people are having used OTA's starting to contact hotels direct and ask can they get a better deal.

Good news for us council taxpayers in Manchester then. ;-)
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Excellent news, that means that hotels will have to compete to get British tourists and I will save money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally you acknowledge the retail figures. Hmm......

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

How bizarre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Excellent news, that means that hotels will have to compete to get British tourists and I will save money.

It did turn out to be excellent news.
    I bumped this rubbishy old Engineer thread because today:

Perhaps I should have just started a new thread.:D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    Good news for us council taxpayers in Manchester then. ;-)

Manchester can't be doing too bad as Ryanair has increased its presence and flights/routes by 33%

Manchester Airport also had consecutive growth and reported along with Stansted record figures

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2025438
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    It did turn out to be excellent news.
    I bumped this rubbishy old Engineer thread because today:

Perhaps I should have just started a new thread.:D

Well done Sherlock.:):)