Litter trays and smells

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
Forum Member
✭✭
I let my cat out last night to go to the toilet and he has had a fight with another cat.
I have now decided to keep him in so need a litter tray for him.
The problem is my house is open plan and I don't really want it smelling.
I've looked at reviews for hooded litter trays and they are all mixed. Has anybody actually got one that keeps the smell down and is big enough for an adult cat?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bill-Cat-Litter-Tray-Toilet/dp/B000RY698G/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1359729027&sr=1-3-catcorr

Something like that is fine. It is easier to take the lid off and use a bin liner and cat litter. That way when you want to change it, you just remove the bin liner and there is no need to scrub.

I used the bin liners with the yellow draw strings from Sainsburys. They were just the right size.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have 4 indoor cats, and the litter smell wasn't great. I would clean out the mess twice a day (putting it in a carrier bag and throwing it straight in the outside bin) and removed all the litter and scrubbed the tray weekly .. but you could still smell the faint aroma in the air.

My cats refused to go in an enclosed tray and liked the 'open air' feeling !!

I miss my cats terribly (they all died of old age (18 ish) a few years ago now). But I don't miss the litter tray.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bill-Cat-Litter-Tray-Toilet/dp/B000RY698G/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1359729027&sr=1-3-catcorr

Something like that is fine. It is easier to take the lid off and use a bin liner and cat litter. That way when you want to change it, you just remove the bin liner and there is no need to scrub.

I used the bin liners with the yellow draw strings from Sainsburys. They were just the right size.

Do you still get smells as it has no door?
    I have just found this one http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/NC2400/cat-it-hooded-cat-litter-pan.
    Would the flap reduce the smell more?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I used to have 4 indoor cats, and the litter smell wasn't great. I would clean out the mess twice a day (putting it in a carrier bag and throwing it straight in the outside bin) and removed all the litter and scrubbed the tray weekly .. but you could still smell the faint aroma in the air.

My cats refused to go in an enclosed tray and liked the 'open air' feeling !!

I miss my cats terribly (they all died of old age (18 ish) a few years ago now). But I don't miss the litter tray.

It's sad watching them get old isn't it?
    He won't like staying in and using a litter tray but he just can't defend himself anymore.
    Forum Member
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Do you still get smells as it has no door?
    I have just found this one http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/NC2400/cat-it-hooded-cat-litter-pan.
    Would the flap reduce the smell more?

I didn't notice any smells.

some cats do not like the flap, thats why I always removed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't notice any smells.

some cats do not like the flap, thats why I always removed it.

Thats good. What litter do you use?
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my covered tray from the range. I have no sense of smell myself, but always ask visitors about if it smells, and get told no.

I think having decent quality litter (I use catsan) helps with reducing smell as well.
    Forum Member
    It's sad watching them get old isn't it?
    He won't like staying in and using a litter tray but he just can't defend himself anymore.

Why not get him an outside pen? That way he won't be bothered by other cats.

It wouldn't be too expensive if you knew someone creative.
    Forum Member
    Thats good. What litter do you use?

Sainsburys.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use tescos "ultra absorbent" wood chip cat litter. only need a few hand fulls...its swells up when the cat uses it and absorbs the pongs. Its also safe to flush down the toilet(when the chips have absorbed enough liquid), unlike grit type cat litters.
    I change it once a day and scoop out any solids as soon as he does one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not get him an outside pen? That way he won't be bothered by other cats.

It wouldn't be too expensive if you knew someone creative.

I was going to build a tunnel from the cat flap into a pen but I have another cat, Lily, who was feral when we got her. She spends lots of time outside so needs access to the garden.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to build a tunnel from the cat flap into a pen but I have another cat, Lily, who was feral when we got her. She spends lots of time outside so needs access to the garden.

You could get a chip sensitive cat flap like Sureflap or Pet Porte - put it on the pen so both cats can got to the pen, but only Lily can then use the flap to access the wider world. Or have 2 flaps in the door.

Cant say I've really noticed my cats litter tray smelling, maybe I've just got a poor sense of smell?:D The enclosed trays are quite pricey if the cat refuses to use it, I'd also worry it'd be a bit easy to forget to check if it'd been used, then pussy is likely to go else where as they dont like to use soiled litter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    You could get a chip sensitive cat flap like Sureflap or Pet Porte - put it on the pen so both cats can got to the pen, but only Lily can then use the flap to access the wider world. Or have 2 flaps in the door.

Cant say I've really noticed my cats litter tray smelling, maybe I've just got a poor sense of smell?:D The enclosed trays are quite pricey if the cat refuses to use it, I'd also worry it'd be a bit easy to forget to check if it'd been used, then pussy is likely to go else where as they dont like to use soiled litter.

Yes. I have just realised if I want Cato to stay in I will have to lock the cat flap anyway so I might do an outside pen.
    The cat flap is actually through a brick wall at the side of the house as the back of the house is all glass. So a 2nd cat flap isn't an option.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    The only solution is regular scooping/cleaning of the tray and changing of the litter, covered or uncovered tray. The best litter I've found is Catsan Hygiene, pricey but worth it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    The only solution is regular scooping/cleaning of the tray and changing of the litter, covered or uncovered tray. The best litter I've found is Catsan Hygiene, pricey but worth it

I was hoping the covered ones with a filter and flap might stop the smells more.
    Some litter you can put down the toilet I notice.
    My sister had to keep her cat in for 4 weeks and every time I was there he did a poo and the whole house smelt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i use this one its the best one i have ever used odour wise bit pricey but worth it http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/tigerino/tigerino_silicate/49994
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can buy a litter try freshener form most supermarkets its sort of like shake and vac but washing out and changing the litter tray regularly should be enough to keep the smells away....most of them anyway.
    Forum Member
    I was hoping the covered ones with a filter and flap might stop the smells more.
    Some litter you can put down the toilet I notice.
    My sister had to keep her cat in for 4 weeks and every time I was there he did a poo and the whole house smelt.

They do keep the smell away for longer but if you scoop and clean regularly you won't get the smell in the first place.

Our 2 trays are scooped out twice a day, have litter changed every 2/3 days and are fully cleaned/disinfected once a week.

Unfortunately there isn't really anything you can do about the poo smelling when fresh, poo smells and even a covered tray won't stop that! Just scoop the tray and get rid asap and the litter will be fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After looking into it this is the one I would want http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/litter_boxes_filter/173360 but only if I knew the buzzing wouldn't be too loud. Expensive but with an extractor fan!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also, there are sprays you can get, specifically for spraying into the litter after scooping a poop, when I first started to clean litter trays, the cat smell was too strong for me, so them litter sprays really helped.
    Forum Member
    After looking into it this is the one I would want http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/litter_boxes_filter/173360 but only if I knew the buzzing wouldn't be too loud. Expensive but with an extractor fan!

Waste of money IMO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Waste of money IMO

That's what my husband has just told me!
    I'm just going to get a cheap one with filter and flap and invest in good quality litter and a spray as advised.

And maybe this bin http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/catlitter_disposal_products/94964#more
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat has the Bill' Cat Litter Tray (mentioned in post 2) and it's pretty good. For what it is, it's well constructed and works well.

I've previously had the Cat It Hooded (mentioned in post 4). I had two issues with it: Firstly the lid didn't fix to the base very well, so in the end I just removed it. In removing it, my dear cat then started leaving bits of litter gravel over the floor as he got out. Secondly: it's HUGE and takes a lot of litter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    My cat has the Bill' Cat Litter Tray (mentioned in post 2) and it's pretty good. For what it is, it's well constructed and works well.

I've previously had the Cat It Hooded (mentioned in post 4). I had two issues with it: Firstly the lid didn't fix to the base very well, so in the end I just removed it. In removing it, my dear cat then started leaving bits of litter gravel over the floor as he got out. Secondly: it's HUGE and takes a lot of litter.

Oh dear. I ordered the Catit one. I'll send it back if the base doesn't fit. I ended up ordering that one as it had good reviews.
    I also ordered the bin, I will let you all know what that is like when I've trialled it. My wheelie bin only gets emptied every 2 weeks so this should be really useful.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just flush cat poo down the loo, as ours is once a fortnight too.