F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    I really like Clarkson as an interviewer. He did an interview with Rosberg in the pre qualification show and you could tell Rosberg was testing him out, seeing if he talking to someone who had a clue or a complete muppet, and I thought Clarkson came through it with flying colours.

But he didn't add anything for me during the race today.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I can't be doing with Perry and EJ I'm afraid, just feels so lightweight and you don't gain any insight from what their interactions whatsoever.

Was weighing up where to watch the postrace and Sky just won easily for me. Hill, Herbert, Brundle, Chandhok and Ted just lightyears ahead of what the BBC offer sadly.

In race Ben and DC are superb though, shame they don't have anyone to rival what Ted does.

I don't agree about the post race. I think the Beeb and Sky are both great. Also, this is Suzi's first proper post race. She was a bit distracted at the start - which is hardly surprising, but i thought she was getting there in the end.

It's taken "Lazers" a while to get there too, it's a difficult gig.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    I am not saying BBC is bad or anything, but Sky have spent the money and it shows, there aren't many weak links post race now. I want to hear what Hill, Herbert, Chandhok, Ted and Brundle say post race, do I really care what EJ thinks? No quite frankly, he worked when the on air talent was him, DC and Brundle because he worked very well at playing the devils advocate, now it appears that for the live shows he quite often is the lone pundit on air with Perry and his act doesn't work very well in that situation.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    I don't know what it was but the BBC coverage felt flat and dry. Commentary was of a high standard as per usual from the BBC, but it feels as if there's a missing link. I don't know, but the BBC's coverage feels very incomplete. EJ/SP just wasn't right today. Sky's coverage had more depth this weekend in my view.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    With them taking the Skypad outdoors into the paddock now I think that instead of having 1 person using it to do the analysis, They should get the whole team around it & do the sort of analysis we saw on the BBC Forum in 2009/2010.

As it is you have 1 person (Ant, Karun or Herbert) doing the skypad analysis & while thats great, I feel it could be even better if you had the full team around it to give opinions & use skypad features to give there own views.

Using Istanbul 2010 from the BBC Forum as an example:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdpz9c_red-bull-crash-bbc-forum_auto#.UWsKMkpc1mM

With skypad each person would take the footage back, pick whatever angle they wanted to use, highlight whatever they wanted to highlight & I think we would get much better analysis (Not that what we currently get is bad).
  • cameronscamerons Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I am not saying BBC is bad or anything, but Sky have spent the money and it shows, there aren't many weak links post race now. I want to hear what Hill, Herbert, Chandhok, Ted and Brundle say post race, do I really care what EJ thinks? No quite frankly, he worked when the on air talent was him, DC and Brundle because he worked very well at playing the devils advocate, now it appears that for the live shows he quite often is the lone pundit on air with Perry and his act doesn't work very well in that situation.

The one invaluable thing EJ provides is a different prospective on the race. all of Sky's pundits are ex racing drivers so they can see the drivers perspective where as EJ can tell you what the team principles are thinking or how he would handle the situation. He was great in Germany 2010 and part of me wished we could have heard his raw thoughts last week as well.

it also early days in the season but sky have stepped it up post race, last year I felt a lot of post race shows were following the exact same formula. from Belgium onwards it felt like i had seen the same show, i hope it continues as I felt by the end the BBC were miles ahead.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen any build up of the BBC, but watching the BBC Forum I quite enjoyed it. Suzi seemed far more relaxed in general and enjoyed the likes of Lee and Gary coming in and what have you... Suzi has seemed a bit 'panicky/nervy' over the first couple of races / quali yesterday. Lazenby this time last season may have had some good bits and some poorer bits but he always sounded confident. However like Lazenby last year, Suzi needs the 12-18 months at least! :-)
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzi looked lost at sea at the start of the Forum, but apart from that it was ok. EJ is always a bit flat at China, probably cos of the time difference. Takes time to find your feet, second half of the season is where things tend to settle down into a rhythm.
  • Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    For those Sky viewers among you who missed "The numbers game" on this weekend's F1 coverage with "My number" by The Foals playing in the background, Sky just applied it to their Basketball half time numerical analysis......
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Suzy did OK, and people on here are very demanding, nothing wrong with that to be honest.

When the BBC coverage started they had all the live races (obviously), in a way that helped, as you can into the swing quickly.

Now only having half the races live it makes it trickier for a newcomer to get to grips with things, especially with so few live races at the start of the season.

time will tell
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member

The BBC has Ben Edwards and James Allen available so I don't know why neither of them gets involved with the post-race analysis.

I'm impressed with Tom Clarkson, he was freelancing for the BBC last year so has clearly hit the ground running this season. Surprised that it was just he and Sky Italia waiting for Webber after the post-race stewards' meeting. Looking forward to 'Tom's Pitlane Report' soon in the style of what Ted started in 2011 and then took to Sky.
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clash on the gridwalk, DC interviewing Ricciardo, Brundle happy to listen in

"Clash" ?
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    I think Suzy did OK, and people on here are very demanding, nothing wrong with that to be honest.

When the BBC coverage started they had all the live races (obviously), in a way that helped, as you can into the swing quickly.

Now only having half the races live it makes it trickier for a newcomer to get to grips with things, especially with so few live races at the start of the season.

time will tell

Also, the production grew with Jake at the helm - i.e. everyone was just beginning, not just him. Yes, he was pretty great from the get-go, but the whole dynamic and ambition of the show was an organic thing and certainly wasn't there in its fullness at the beginning of the BBC's coverage in 2009.

Whereas, Suzi is coming into a mature production - viewers know what to expect, DC and EJ are used to working together, and the production is all set with people knowing the direction of the show. I had similar things to say with regard to Lazenby last season - the bar was set by the Beeb coverage with the 'three amigos' dynamic and roaming the pit lane - but they got there gradually. Now, with any newcomer, there's pressure to get it right straight away.

Having said that, I think Suzi is great - she has a great tone, is clearly enthusiastic about the sport and is a very competent presenter and a very relaxing style. I'm sure she will only improve, but she is delivering a great show as it is. :)
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    Anyone happen to know where I can find the 1st 3 episodes of the Motor Racing at the BBC programs been shown on BBC Four?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rhvc7/episodes/guide

Somehow managed to completely miss them :o
  • F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else notice Sky turned down the world feed audio to near mute when Coulthard was being introduced to the podium by Bob Constanduros? Perhaps they think the mere mention of DC instinctively causes viewers to switch over to the BBC.

I thought Suzi really struggled in the forum today where there was awkward silences aplenty and it took Coulthard intervening to keep the show going. There wasn't the smooth flow between topics that Jake made effortless and in the end it felt like they were chopping and changing between topics without any insightful analysis. The end of the qualifying & race shows weren't the smoothest either. But despite this I think her overall performance was good and with a bit of time it'll come to her, after all it was her first live race.
    MODTL wrote: »
    So Eddie won't be doing Spain if he's missing next two races?
    Presumably so but Spain will be McNish's first race for 5 Live so perhaps he'll join Suzi & DC on Saturday & Sunday.

It was a very solid show again from Sky & all-in-all more polished than the Beeb today but I find the BBC's roaming/go with the flow style of forum easier to watch than Sky's samey post-race show. I'm with stefmeister in that I'd like to see the Sky pundits assemble around the SkyPad in the style of the BBC Forum 2009/2010 which I still think is the best & most in-depth post-race analysis we've ever had.

I'm finding Croft's OTT shouting at finishes grating & made more obvious today when he was calling the exciting Hamilton/Vettel battle at the hairpin fine but found some extra decibels out of nowhere seconds later when Alonso got to the line much like Rosberg's win last year. I realise it's for montage/advert purposes but it's out of place in the live commentary. It grated with Allen & Legard as well whereas Brundle's tone at the line matched the drama or lack thereof perfectly in 2011. Also a shame Croft decided to finish promoting Sky Race Control in qualifying rather than stop mid sentence to commentate on Webber's stationary car at the hairpin. Having said that he's still doing a very good job by and large IMO.

I've noticed onboard stream 6 on the red button has been dedicated to Lewis Hamilton throughout the first 3 races which somewhat backs up the Sky/Hamilton love-in from pre-season. I'd like to see the 3 extra onboard streams follow cars battling further down the field rather than Hamilton & the front 2 who are often in clear air. I also spotted FOM have slightly tweaked their championship & running order graphic for the middle of the screen from last season; http://imageshack.us/a/img11/6452/fomtitlegraphic.jpg.
    I feel Sky need to make a decision over whether to put adverts in the show or not. The adverts don't really bother me they allow me to get a drink or something to eat etc. I think that people who watch Sky when the BBC are live, watch Sky because they genuinely prefer there coverage, I would class myself as one of those people and I feel that Sky should focus producing a high quality show week in, week out no matter whether it is exclusively live or not. I would prefer a consistent show in terms of ad structure whether that means 0,1,2 or 3 ads in a pre-qualifying show, I'm not that fussed just wish Sky wouldn't alter there coverage so deliberately when they are against the beeb
    I fully agree with you Eastendwhovian, I don't like that Sky are constantly looking over there shoulder & only pulling out their A-game on select weekends against the BBC. The irony of their approach is anyone who watches Sky exclusive weekends & the 30 minutes of race build-up on shared weekends will see the worst of Sky's ad structure and happily switch to the ad-free coverage of the Beeb. As long as Sky see the BBC as competition nothing will change in all probability but it'd be good if Sky had enough belief in their own coverage to just produce a consistent high quality show rather than flip flopping depending on what the BBC are doing.

And just a note on Motors TV's coverage of V8 Supercars;

Motors TV ‏@MotorsTV
    "V8 Supercars fans - all four races from Austin will be live on Motors TV next month. Now, carry on." 5:43 PM - 12 Apr 13
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkham gets some stick, but im enjoying her interviews in the pen, her approach seems to be working.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Brad Keselowski...
    Here he's seen spewing Jp style vitriol at the governing body

Go Kes Go

Jp
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the first head to head this year I still much prefer the race coverage on the Beeb; less bothered about the pre and post race as I tend to flick in and out. From what I saw though Perry did a decent job, has some personality and will grow into the role. Whereas Lazenby offers nothing other than anodyne presentation.

Also Gary Anderson has turned into an outstanding analyst. He certainly out-analyses Kravitz for me.

Worst thing though was the actual race direction. Rarely seen anything quite so abysmal in modern times for the first 20 mins or so. So much action missed it was untrue.
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,835
    Forum Member
    the tv coverage was terrible from FOM - new tv director, just horribly jetlagged, or drunk? :o
  • fp1967fp1967 Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I can't be doing with Perry and EJ I'm afraid, just feels so lightweight and you don't gain any insight from what their interactions whatsoever.

Was weighing up where to watch the postrace and Sky just won easily for me. Hill, Herbert, Brundle, Chandhok and Ted just lightyears ahead of what the BBC offer sadly.

In race Ben and DC are superb though, shame they don't have anyone to rival what Ted does.

You are joking! Suzi offers a more journalistic approach than Jake and is not lightweight! She is not scared to probe! With Jake, EJ & DC you had a very relaxed three mates enjoying themselves approach. But Jake did not offer anything from a journalistic point of view. With Suzi you will get a bit of both.
    Tom Clarkson is very good and I am sure will rival Ted. But Gary Anderson knows more about F1 & F1 cars and tactics than Ted ever will Ted doesn't come anywhere near to Gary!
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,835
    Forum Member
    fp1967 wrote: »
    But Gary Anderson knows more about F1 & F1 cars and tactics than Ted ever will Ted doesn't come anywhere near to Gary!

kind of stating the obvious there

otherwise Ted would be designing F1 cars
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did notice a new graphic, not sure if anyone else spotted it...

[Driver]............ [Current position].....[Best lap]
    [Tyre Choice]....[Positions gained]....[Last lap]
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Yeah I did. I thought it was fine, just a different way of doing things, eg normally positions gained is up top when they have the tower up, same with the tyre choice, but yeah, plenty of information not taking up too much on screen space. Thought it was a decent addition.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Having said that, I think Suzi is great - she has a great tone, is clearly enthusiastic about the sport and is a very competent presenter and a very relaxing style
    And doesn't move and talk like she forgot to take the coat-hanger out of her jacket before putting it on. ;)
  • IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Saw it, looked a bit too busy, information overload in my view.

Only managed to see the race, but the BBC coverage was at the standard it was last year. Ben/DC remain extremely rapid at picking up things going on. Gary seemed a bit overwhelmed when they spoke to him, presumably because he was balancing commentary duties for 5 Live and BBC.

FOM now do need to change when they feed in replays for the start, because it was painful switching to replays knowing that a challenge for the lead was likely in the second DRS zone. They ultimately had to abort the start replay to cut back to live.

Start replays are vital, and they shouldn't make the mistake of MotoGP and wait until half the race has passed. The sensible time to throw them is towards the end of lap 2, if the race is sufficiently settled, before the DRS zones activate.

This may lead to a 'time crunch' to get the producer(s) to deliver all of the replays in time, but I think it would be acceptable to lose one or 2 of the onboard angles going with this approach, particularly as the big broadcasters will show them after the race anyway if they find anything significant.
This discussion has been closed.