BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll lay my cards on the table, I am firmly in agreement with Black Crow and Franchise when it comes to Radio 5 Live prioritising live sport ahead of studio-based football discussions - particularly when it comes to their Friday evening preview which on the occasions I have heard it brings very little to the table.

But even if I was to play devil's advocate and try and support Col's viewpoint in general terms, how can you call a game in which Hull City had the opportunity to push themselves to the brink of promotion to the Premier League as being of "limited national interest"? For me a game like that one is of a larger interest than many Premier League fixtures involving mid-table teams which they have provided a commentary on. Even given their "form" when it comes to Friday night Championship games, I was surprised this game wasn't covered as a commentary game on 5 Live.

They're repeating their trick from last Friday tonight. This evening's Championship game is Leicester City v Watford, with the home side chasing a place in the Play-Offs and the visitors still possessing faint hopes of winning automatic promotion to the Premier League. It is possible that this game could be a prelude to a possible Play-Off Semi-Final, but more notably should Watford lose tonight, Hull City will be promoted automatically to the Premier League.

Yet bizarrely this game has been shunted off to Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, while the usual "Kicking Off" studio-based discussion show with Colin Murray takes precedence on Radio 5 Live. I don't understand how 5 Live bosses have come to the decision that chat about the Premier League should take priority over commentary on a match that could decide a place in next season's Premier League. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind this call - 5 Live's Football League coverage tends to improve in the final quarter of the season and indeed on Tuesday night they provided full commentary on Millwall v Blackburn Rovers, a clash between two teams with an outside shout of being relegated so one worth covering, but at the same time a match that it has to be said is of far less general interest than tonight or last Friday's match.

Although I am firmly of the school of thought that would much prefer Radio 5 Live to prioritise live sport ahead of sporting discussion whenever they have the rights to do something, I can understand the rationale behind why at most points in the season they choose to broadcast a show like Kicking Off ahead of a Friday evening Championship game. But for two weeks in a row, they have passed over two potentially crucial Championship games in terms of automatic promotion to the Premier League in order to chat about the latter league and I cannot for the life of me understand why they have chosen to do this. Surely this has to be considered as being a couple of spectacularly bad editorial decisions.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    It was measles - I got the original post wrong.

Serves me right for complaining about Burden getting her facts wrong!

At least you can admit your mistake Ian :)

And were actually listening to it - if someone hadn't heard the interview with the divorcee I mentioned I'm mystified quite why they feel the need to or have any reason to comment on it.....
    I made an observation it sounded disrespectful in my opinion....
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Jack_R wrote: »
    Well clearly you must have a secret liking for Victoria if you can recall all of these stories she has supposedly been 'rehashing' for the past ten years.

A cynic may very well conclude you'd find something to moan about whatever their reactions happened to be.

I do happen to wonder, if you find Victoria Derbyshire so terrible and such an awful waste of money why you were tuning in and listening?

Goodness knows what some of you would do if she wasn't on 5 Live considering how much entertainment you seemingly get from scrutinising and criticising her every word - but then, as I said above, you're determined to find something to moan about, so I really do doubt it'd matter who was presenting.

Exactly right. Some people do appear to tune in day in, day out, just to have a moan. When challenged, they play the "free speech" card.

Of course, you'll soon be branded a BBC apologist for your stance but that's par for the course.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    It's all very odd. Probably why radio people are always told never to eat anything sent in by the listeners - they can be a weird lot.

Don't think Wogan took notice of that advice :D
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to listen to Mathew Bannister who i 'think' deputised for Derbyshire when she was having a baby .Whoever it was -it was an enjoyable show .

Then Derbyshire returned - i had never listened to her before so gave her a chance .She was just awful - a bit like being broadcasted to by your least favourite teacher .It's a shame as her temporary predecessor was very good .
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well clearly you must have a secret liking for Victoria if you can recall all of these stories she has supposedly been 'rehashing' for the past ten years.

Not really.......I tune in occasionally on the off chance hoping against hope that her programme has gotten remotely any better but unfortunately it never has.If you like to wallow in that type of grim radio then good luck you,at least you know what you're getting, you and others.. enjoy it .Personally after many years of her standard stuff ,I would much prefer some other presenter to be given a chance in that slot, to freshen the whole mid morning gig up a little.It would be good for 5live but I won't hold my breath,I don't suppose Jonathan Wall would want to cross swords with the precious dear.Sorry if my opinion seems to have upset you and others so much.Still never mind eh ? Look on the bright side ,you only have to wait until monday morning at 10am to get yet another fix of infinitely depressing radio and good luck to you with all of that !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really.......I tune in occasionally on the off chance hoping against hope that her programme has gotten remotely any better but unfortunately it never has.If you like to wallow in that type of grim radio then good luck you,at least you know what you're getting, you enjoy it .Personally after many years of her standard stuff ,I would much prefer some other presenter to be given a chance in that slot, to freshen the whole mid morning gig up a little.It would be good for 5live but I won't hold my breath,I don't suppose Jonathan Wall would want to cross swords with the precious dear.Sorry if my opinion seems to have upset you and others so much.

You have upset a couple of people Cyril that's all......or maybe even 1 & the same person even......
    But most of us are quite happy to have a free discussion of the merits and demerits of various presenters so carry on......
    Of course you haven't listened for 10 years to every show....I can't do that with shows I like but you dip in and out.....the nature of radio is that it's often on in background & left on in hope it will change or improve......
    Like you I enjoyed Matt banister and his predecessors but a lot right now I'm not keen on.....we keep listening in hope it will change and get better & in mean time....yes we have free speech until we are taken over by north Korea....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    You have upset a couple of people Cyril that's all......or maybe even 1 & the same person even......
    But most of us are quite happy to have a free discussion of the merits and demerits of various presenters so carry on......
    Of course you haven't listened for 10 years to every show....I can't do that with shows I like but you dip in and out.....the nature of radio is that it's often on in background & left on in hope it will change or improve......
    Like you I enjoyed Matt banister and his predecessors but a lot right now I'm not keen on.....we keep listening in hope it will change and get better & in mean time....yes we have free speech until we are taken over by north Korea....

Indeed we have loz and thank you.I am most encouraged by your support.I was beginning to think I had committed some kind of criminal act, the lengths some people go to, rather than little old harmless me, just expressing an opinion on a 5live presenter.They don't 'alf take it to heart.What someone stooping so low as to accuse me of being a cynic ?This is an outrage !:) I am totally mortified ! I shan't sleep tonight !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member

She has never claimed to be a trained counsellor - but Mapperley Ridge is absolutely right. People moan at one point against a presenter they feel isn't showing enough understanding, Rachel Burden in this example, then lambast another, this time Victoria Derybshire, for showing understanding, labelling it 'smug and patronising'

A cynic may very well conclude you'd find something to moan about whatever their reactions happened to be.

I do happen to wonder, if you find Victoria Derbyshire so terrible and such an awful waste of money why you were tuning in and listening?

Goodness knows what some of you would do if she wasn't on 5 Live considering how much entertainment you seemingly get from scrutinising and criticising her every word - but then, as I said above, you're determined to find something to moan about, so I really do doubt it'd matter who was presenting.

We turn on in the honest hope (given Victoria's track record) that there will be a more able stand in for her like Phil Williams. If she comes on believe you me we switch over in droves because she is just awful.
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Completly agree. I tuned in the other day and the show was about the possible increased regulation of cosmetic surgery. Quite interesting I thought. Wrong! It was just anecdote after anecdote of how this or that woman's implants had split and entered her lymph nodes! Completely dull. Woman's Own stuff.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Young wrote: »

Totally agree Derbyshire, Bacon, Warburton, Hipgrave, Sam Walker out please.

+ Nolan:)
    Forum Member
    didas wrote: »
    Completly agree. I tuned in the other day and the show was about the possible increased regulation of cosmetic surgery. Quite interesting I thought. Wrong! It was just anecdote after anecdote of how this or that woman's implants had split and entered her lymph nodes! Completely dull. Woman's Own stuff.

Given that the vast majority of cosmetic implants are given to women, what were you expecting? Of course it was full of anecdotes from real people - as I suspect where several BBC Local phone ins on the same topic and, had it been covered, LBC.

It strikes me that a lot of the criticism aimed at VD is more to do with people being disinterested or bored with the content. Earlier upthread someone complained of the show being full of "sob stories" and too much depressing stuff.

I pointed it out then and I'll do the same now. This is real life. The show reflects that.
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »

...yes we have free speech until we are taken over by north Korea....

On what basis are you making that allegation then? A new member comes along and just happens to agree with my viewpoint. For the record, I don't have multiple DS accounts and I find it distasteful that you should suggest as much.

It's good to see you supporting free speech. Perhaps you should extend that principle to those who dare to disagree with your high and mighty views.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Sorry if my opinion seems to have upset you and others so much.

It's not upset me. I'm just baffled as to why you would spend so long listening to a broadcaster you clearly hate.

I'm not a big fan of the Jeremy Kyle Show, but I don't sit down and watch it every morning.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    + Nolan:)

Nicky Campbell and Rachel Burden out as well.

Why did the dozy Burden ask Cameron if his kids bit people? Why is it this dozy woman can't ask anything interesting other than about kids and the only time she opens her gob is to bore us about her kids?

Can't the BBC start a womans channel and boot all these boring women off to that?

If there is one subject I am not interested in hearing about it's kids.
    Forum Member

Can't the BBC start a womans channel and boot all these boring women off to that?

If there is one subject I am not interested in hearing about it's kids.

Right, so because you dislike it, Five Live should entirely bin its potential audience of millions of parents? The question to Cameron - in the context of a sports station and the Louis Suarez story - was entirely justified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not upset me. I'm just baffled as to why you would spend so long listening to a broadcaster you clearly hate.

I'm not a big fan of the Jeremy Kyle Show, but I don't sit down and watch it every morning.

Is it just me.. but is it becoming increasingly harder for some people to understand the difference between having an opinion and a clear hatred for someone, including even a 5live broadcaster, they just might happen to criticise ? It comes to something when the word ' hate ' is freely bandied about without any thought process whatsoever and said contributor implicating another poster with a purpose of painting a picture of them as some kind of unshaven vile ' weirdo ' who stalks around their house dressed in a stained white vest and grubby grey trousers ( held up by braces ) with a half chewed cigarette end attached to their mouth and who's lifestyle is centred around tuning into a radio station at a certain time each day so they can hear a presenter they dislike with such intense animosity that it ultimately brings on some incandescent rage and continuous frothing around areas relating to mouth and lower part of the nostrils and that this certain poster has continuously carried out this abnormal behaviour for the last 10 years !!

Can I assure this person who uses the word ' hate ' as freely has they do, that I have absolutely no hatred of anyone or I have ever written the words ' hate ' in any posts published on this forum.In fact if truth be told I absolutely love every living creature on earth with great lovingness.I am a loving and giving person and by these words I hope some will understand and I appreciate that it may for some be extremely hard to get through to them in the nicest possible way but I together with others are only expressing what is called and has been for donkeys years....an opinion.

For any other information can I just refer you to my post no 1682,if you would be good enough to read that for any more explanation you may require ! Thanking you so much.Kind regards and your humble servant..........Cyril. x
    Forum Member
    Cyril, surely you'd have to agree that it's not exactly normal behaviour for some people (as they do) to keep a running tally of a presenter's attendance at a studio in Salford? Why would they do that of there wasn't an element of hatred in their minds?
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi MR. The attendance book is now closed (see Private Eye 1336 page 11). There's no hate. What I can't stand is hypocrisy. Lots of people uprooted their familes , others were forced to give up their jobs because they wouldn't move north.
    Yet week after week this presenter is allowed permission to present the show from London because of 'child care' issues.
    A little inside info for you, I was involved with BBC GMR in the mid 90's when VD was doing the breakfast show and I know for certain she wasn't at all popular.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < Probably why radio people are always told never to eat anything sent in by the listeners - they can be a weird lot. >

Ah, I had wondered how Fogarty was still alive. I had decided that far right wingness goes with cast iron guts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed we have loz and thank you.I am most encouraged by your support.I was beginning to think I had committed some kind of criminal act, the lengths some people go to, rather than little old harmless me, just expressing an opinion on a 5live presenter.They don't 'alf take it to heart.What someone stooping so low as to accuse me of being a cynic ?This is an outrage !:) I am totally mortified ! I shan't sleep tonight !

Hi Cyril, no problem at all & your attitude is precisely how it should be - none of us sit there obsessing about 5live - lone drinker keeping a tally of VD appearances is a tongue in cheek swipe at a presenter who divides opinion- he's not an obsessive he's pointing out hypocrisy with a laugh in same vein as private eye as it happens....you have similar attitude as do Jasmine & many others.....
    This is light hearted debate.....I have many many other interests ....but one of those is enjoying talk radio while working

I merely quip that you've upset someone....seems I touched a nerve when mentioning duplicate accounts....I didn't actually name anyone at all they seem to have thought I meant them? Because if I'd named them then any argument with a champion of free speech has always seen my posts taken down to leave theirs somehow.... so I no longer bother discussing anything with them as they seem able to attack posters without impunity yet never answer them or our points made if they don't agree with them....

Keep on with the right attitude....it's not serious.....hate is completely and totally misused in context of us having a dig at the odd presenter ....

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like radio presenters have been added to punks, goths and emos in the hate crime classification.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just about given up on 5Live. I'm sick of the constant coverage given to football even on the non-sports programmes.

Also, I really don't get the point of reporting a match and the result and then playing the commentary of the goal being scored. It's radio, we can't see it ffs! As I used to leave the radio on low volume all night I can't tell you how many times I've been woken by some idiot screaming 'goal':mad:
    If you are a football fan I'd love to know how this type of broadcasting enhances your enjoyment of the game.

Rhod Sharps is the only show worth listening to imo.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However I aint paying Kyle's wages unlike bbc employees such as the dreadful Derbyshire programme.
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,713
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed the first hour and a half of Nolan's show last night
This discussion has been closed.