Options

Migraines

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that they run in the family, my dad always suffered with them. The visual Aura has to be the worst part, because I know that I'm going to be redundant and in agony for the rest of the day. Once I had the aura when shopping and ended up buying a pair of shoes too small for me because I reached for one pair and grabbed another!

Pain killers and sleep gets rid of mine, I dread getting mine at work though because they don't understand that I have to drop everything before my body goes numb!
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I think stress and hormones trigger mine, although sometimes I get them for no apparent reason. They start as flashing zigzags at the corner of my vision that quite quickly move across and obscure my sight. The only thing I can do is lay down in a dark room, take painkillers and wait for them to go away. The headaches and dizziness are awful but I don't get the sickness.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noooway wrote: »
    Thankfully they're not a weekly occurrence, however there is a strong correlation between my hormones and migraines. It first starts with a visual aura, like flashing lights Where I can't see anything at all. Then the confusion and numbness, vomiting and then I have to flop in bed because the only thing I can do is breathe. For days after I feel like I'm hungover and my body feels bruised and battered, like my nerves have been fried.

A lady I work with suffers from them too since being on HRT. She gets them weekly and I do not envy her at all!

Even though its a horrible experience, I'm glad I'm not suffering alone x

Thats what I get - that and light headedness, slight dizziness. I sometimes get it if I get out of bed a bit quickly, or if I bend down and get up again too quick. I wondered in the past if it was due to low iron and things but I got tested and no-one seems to know whats behind it :-/ I think the strip lighting at work can bring on headaches, possibly migraines, I'm not sure, particularly when its dark outside, like during winter, it feels like a really unnatural strength of light and used to be glary on computer screens.

I hope they dont get worse, my mum has had awful migraines, one was so bad she had to go to hospital and get a lumbar puncture etc., it turned out to be some strange condition, I forget what it was called but it was pretty rare. Sounded awful :( labyrinthitis or something?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    When I was in my teens I used to get 3 or 4 a week, had to take 3 months off school once. My triggers are usually caffeine, chocolate, bright lights, strong smells like paint or eau de parfums. Since about 22 and going on the depo injection I only get them every few months, thank god. Full blown I get the headache, blindness, vomiting, numbness and paralysis, confusion.. I can understand why people who've never had one before would think there's something seriously wrong with them. I've tried tons of meds and weird and wonderful treatments, but I still find the best thing is aspirin and lots of water.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that they run in the family, my dad always suffered with them. The visual Aura has to be the worst part, because I know that I'm going to be redundant and in agony for the rest of the day. Once I had the aura when shopping and ended up buying a pair of shoes too small for me because I reached for one pair and grabbed another!

Pain killers and sleep gets rid of mine, I dread getting mine at work though because they don't understand that I have to drop everything before my body goes numb!

Yep. I always felt so sorry for my dad because my mum never appeared to have any understanding or sympathy for how awful they are. If anything she would seem annoyed when he'd come home with one.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've fortunately not had one start when at work. Mine usually start in the night or early morning before I've left. It would be hell having to get on the tube and train back from London with one, because I get numbness too.
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get them a lot, I'd see the aura's and my vision would go blurry. When I asked my folks if they suffered (or anyone else had) they'd say no. Then I spoke to a cousin on my dad's side who said that she'd suffered with them all through her 30's, as did her sister, it's just my dad wouldn't have known as he'd moved away by then!
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rightside - constipation

Leftside - hot and cold flushes followed by vomiting

Do the migraines cause the other effects or vice versa
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I'd say they are hereditary, my Mum has always suffered badly with them and I've started to as well.
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last Thursday night, I suffered from the biggest headache I had ever suffered from for the past 5 or 6 years! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    OP - I've not read any of the replies yet as I want to get something off my chest...

I despise people who claim a 'migraine' when they're at work or out and about! GRRRR!

Migraines to me are debilitating - it means varying combinations of semi-paralysis, vomiting, gut ache, diarrhoea, pain *way* beyond a headache, messed up vision and clumsiness, sensitivity to light, noise, smells, movement, touch - all resulting in more vomiting.

As a sufferer, I get really annoyed with the people who blatantly abuse it to pull a sickie or feign illness. It just makes people dismiss real sufferers.

There :D I've said it!

My triggers took years to identify and I'm still not quite there, but are largely linked to hormones (i.e. menstrual cycle). I've found that my diet in general, and particularly in the week leading up to my period is really important. Fish and nuts seem to help. Chocolate and cheese seem irrelevant for me. I had years of tests and food diaries with a consultant which was bugger all help. Trial and error is all that's helped me manage it.

Sadly, the medication I was prescribed never helped much at all, and gave me side-effects as bad as the migraines in terms of limiting my functioning.
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted. Thought better of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son gets' Haemoplaegic migraines which make one side of his face drop (like a mild stroke) .... apparently his are stress induced.

I get the visual disturbance but rarely a bad headache...... thank God. You sufferers have my sympathy. Nasty horrible things migraines. Bananas was a trigger for my friend... and the pill.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am lucky as I only suffer the aura and the headache (if I take painkillers I can even avoid a terrible headache)

I have kept diaries and logs to trace my trigger/s and it seemed to be hormonal (mid month and period time)

However since I have been on maternity leave with baby I have had about 2? So I am thinking it was my computer screens at work?

I have had such infrequent attacks since October last year that I haven't even logged them :o

Will see if they start up again when I go back to work!
  • Options
    MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I get them and they're horrendous. I seem to go through stages of getting loads at once, 1-3 a week to then a couple of weeks without one. I had one a few weeks ago that lasted 6 days. Fortunately I don't get sick, but I get awful nausea, really light headed and dizzy. Plus my eyes get unbelievably dry, does anyone else experience this? This dry up so opening, closing, trying to focus, just everything hurts and scratches. I have no idea what the triggers are for me, it can be anything. Perfume gives me an evil headache which can lead to migraine. Sometimes I skip meals and I'm fine, other times I skip a meal and I'll be in pain for days.
    I have jaw problems as well and I get awful pain in my ear and behind my eye on that side, which will get worse and worse some times and turn into a full on migraine. Hours and hours I waste in bed with a hot water bottle on my face and the back of my neck.

I once read a big cry can relieve symptoms. I had a splitting headache earlier this year, felt sick, my sense of smell went insane, my eyes were dry and wouldn't focus, my neck was killing, all my limbs felt so heavy but I felt lightheaded and nauseous. I spent 4 days like it, got home after a trip to the shop and just sat and cried cos I was so exhausted and in so much pain. I felt so much better after. Was completely wiped out and slept for a few hours but I wasn't in as much pain after.

Sometimes just a few sweets can set them off too. Birthday cake makes me have to go to bed it turns me into a shaky wreck.

So basically, I sympathise with every person that suffers migraines, they're poor evil. And it's like you try and be careful or avoid your known triggers, but they find a way and completely mess you up, the exhaustion from them lasts days.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I've had what I believe we're real migraines were linked to a toothache. My dentist couldn't find any reason for the tooth causing the migraine but I told him to take the tooth out anyway and I've still got a nice gap there, that's how bad the pain was

It was basically like someone was using a pneumatic drill on my skull, my whole head was vibrating with pain all I could do was hold onto a door frame or something and stand there with my mouth open drooling. It was scary

If that's what people with migraines go through regularly they've got my deepest sympathies
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I'd say they are hereditary, my Mum has always suffered badly with them and I've started to as well.

My mum had them too but they stopped after the menopause and she never had one again. I'm not looking forward to the menopause, but there might be side benefits :)
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around 2 a month from age 9-31. Triptans made them bearable but since going on Lamictal 3 years ago I have not had a single one. Game changer.