2015: 40 Years of Jaws. Will the film ever be re-made?

Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,224
Forum Member
Next year marks 40 Years since the release of Jaws - as film companies do decide to re-make most movies around the anniversary dates, do you think Jaws will ever be remade? Or is it a classic that should be left well alone?

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why remake it? Would you like giant robots or drippy teen vampires with that?:)
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Jaws 19 will be out next year?
  • SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I don't have a huge problem with remakes. A lot are pointless but they don't ever "ruin" the original. I don't see what a remake would add. Sure, you could make the shark look more realistic, but more of the bets things in Jaws were the character interactions and the suspense. Neither would be instantly improved with a remake.

It will probably happen one day, but it's fine for the moment!
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    This film needs left alone for all reasons, casting, creditability, still enjoyable to watch over and over. This film is ground in history it would be be like trying to remake E,T
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,193
    Forum Member
    No. Perhaps after Spielberg is dead and can't stop it. But not while he is alive.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see an action remake where Jaws is pissed about the humans slaughtering all the sharks so it goes out on a revenge rampage. Could you imagine Jaws off the coast of China attacking the fishing trawlers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    I would like to see an action remake where Jaws is pissed about the humans slaughtering all the sharks so it goes out on a revenge rampage. Could you imagine Jaws off the coast of China attacking the fishing trawlers.

Nurse! He's out of bed again!
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member

Already exists. Jaws IV The Revenge.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Already exists. Jaws IV The Revenge.

How dare you mention that rubbish ! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaws 4? I know not what movie you speak of. No movie named Jaws 4 was ever made.
    The franchise stopped at Jaws 2. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Nurse! He's out of bed again!

So I'm guessing that's a no then? I'll go pitch my idea to the Syfy channel. They will eat it up.

(Yes pun intended) :)
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    SuperTed_ wrote: »
    I don't see what a remake would add. Sure, you could make the shark look more realistic, but more of the bets things in Jaws were the character interactions and the suspense.

Agreed. The suspense in Jaws is mostly built by actually NOT seeing the shark. Mostly because of technology and budget constraints, but looking back, it was the way to ratchet up the tension. The shark simply bumping the boat from beneath the water, or only seen via the yellow floating barrels it is harpooned to. It is those techniques that worked the best.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaws, weary of persecution by Brody, heads inland for a vacation. Reaching his accomodation tired and dusty, he decides to take a shower. Unfortunately, his holiday destination of choice is..............THE BATES MOTEL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I'm guessing that's a no then? I'll go pitch my idea to the Syfy channel. They will eat it up.

(Yes pun intended) :)

More than likely if it's made in Bulgaria and Dean Cain agrees to be in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaws 4? I know not what movie you speak of. No movie named Jaws 4 was ever made.
    The franchise stopped at Jaws 2. :)

I still have the glasses from Jaws 3D.:cool:
  • Dextor_MorganDextor_Morgan Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaws has so much movie history associated to it a remake would never be a success. After the likes of Sharknado (or Shitnado to give it it's real name) Jaws looks safe for years to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    I still have the glasses from Jaws 3D.:cool:

Such a cinematic masterpiece. It has one of the truly great special effects scenes in it that would make James Cameron and Michael Bay cry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0mhAFldIY
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This film demonized sharks, hundreds of millions were killed in the decades after the film. Even the author of the book was upset about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    This film demonized sharks, hundreds of millions were killed in the decades after the film. Even the author of the book was upset about it.

I think that has more to do with homeopathic penis pills in Asia than it does for any movie.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    I'd sure like a remake, if only to annoy all the twerps that think it's somehow blasphemous. That should really give both their brain cells a work out as they grind together in impotent rage. Heh heh heh.

Regards

Mark
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »

Yes, sharks are cuddly ickle fishes who wouldn't harm a fly. Then that Steven Spielberg came along with his slanderous misrepresentation.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Jaws 19 will be out next year?

Damn. You beat me to it...
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the remake kevin spacey will play the shark ........