Has X - Factor lost the X -Factor?

Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Before anyone bites my head off, this was a show that everyone talked about till Wednesday and you get excited over a John Lewis ad etc..
Now, I have not even really watched it and I feel "meh" over it. Is anyone the same?

Comments

• RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said a hundred and one times and I'll say it again. Lack of talent.

If you put any of this bunch in Alexandra's or Matt's years, they wouldn't even make it to live shows. Apart from maybe Andrea.

Simon was arrogant enough to think that him and Cheryl returning would be enough to get the show back on top. He was wrong. What he needs is a star
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »

If you put any of this bunch in Alexandra's or Matt's years, they wouldn't even make it to live shows. Apart from maybe Andrea.

Simon was arrogant enough to think that him and Cheryl returning would be enough to get the show back on top. He was wrong. What he needs is a star

He seems to think a lot of the focus should be on the judges and not the acts. And I completely agree about the talent comment. It has been lacking for years.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's pretty clear by now that the show will never produce a star. The closest is 1D with Olly Murs and Little Mix running behind. The success pattern of the show is big blast off followed by discrete fall back to earth even for the once high profile Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke.

The show has always simply been about the judges!
  • mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it used to be a talent show where one or two people had some talent. Now it's all about the headlines and the money making with manufactured groups. As soon as that started the show started to go downhill. We weren't going to watch this year but I've seen the outrage on Facebook over Louis' scripted messing about and we caught the end of the results show. I am gobsmacked over how bad both those sing offs were. Exceptional girly sheep vs boy band containing cut price Harry Styles and a bloke in a skirt. Absolute shocker.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think its had the X factor since about 2010, the judges aren't great, the talent is abysmal and it's a fix. It's a real shame as the X Factor use to be brilliant but Simon has ruined it by making it all about the publicity and £££.
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's getting pretty boring now.

How many more times do we have to see Stevie type contestants singing exactly the same lame songs, getting through every week and finishing 5th or 6th. It wasn't funny the first time with Chico let alone 10 years later.

The public vote for the same type of acts every year...
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not about the talent. It's not about the judges. Something can only last so long before it starts loosing it's impact.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the way they film it at Wembley instead of a TV studio. It just seems less personal than it used to.
  • redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lack of true outstanding talent is what is disappointing. In past series you had several 'big acts' but now it is like watching a talent show at the local pub, good but not enough to warrant prime time on Saturday night tv
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Simon was arrogant enough to think that him and Cheryl returning would be enough to get the show back on top. He was wrong.

What he needs is a star

This - ^^ but they won't find one in this tired format.

Last decent year, IMO, was when Alexandra won it.
  • pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously?All this year's overs bar Stevi are better than 2010s and Daniel (and possibly Rachel)from 2008,Only The Young and Sterio Kicks are way better than the girlbands from 2008 and Diva Fever,FYD,Belle Aime and arguably 1D (vocally anyway), All this year's boys are better than Eoghan Quigg,Nicolo Festa,Scott bruton and Paul and Andrea are definitely better than Austin and Paije (Jack and Jake could be arguably too) The only category that doesn't match up to those years are the girls but this series is still definitely in the top 5 talent wise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    It's pretty clear by now that the show will never produce a star. The closest is 1D with Olly Murs and Little Mix running behind.

How exactly do you define a 'star' if 1D doesn't qualify? To quote a point I made last night, 1D is "a band who has a worth of £25 million, had their first 3 albums debut at Number 1, one of which was the biggest selling album of 2013."

They've also broken records.

They are stars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    This - ^^ but they won't find one in this tired format.

Last decent year, IMO, was when Alexandra won it.

I agree. Was that when JLS came second too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redcherry wrote: »
    I agree. Was that when JLS came second too

Yes.

Diana Vickers as well.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the way they film it at Wembley instead of a TV studio. It just seems less personal than it used to.

Do you mean the final or the other shows too? Because I'm pretty sure all but the final is still filmed at Fountain Studios where it's been filmed since series... one? Definitely since series three.

I really enjoyed last night's show.

Both Series 5 and Series 7 was extremely varied - in terms of talent series 7 had Nicolo, Diva Fever, Storm Lee, Belle Amie, F.Y.D, possibly John Adeleye and Treyc Cohen.... they'd all struggle to get through this year. Series 5 had Scott Bruton, Eoghan Quigg, Daniel Evans, Girl Band and Bad Lashes, all who wouldn't have got through now. The Girls were stronger in Series 5.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There some truly dreadful acts in both of those years, rose tinted spectacles at work methinks....;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Do you mean the final or the other shows too? Because I'm pretty sure all but the final is still filmed at Fountain Studios where it's been filmed since series... one? Definitely since series three.

I really enjoyed last night's show.

Both Series 5 and Series 7 was extremely varied - in terms of talent series 7 had Nicolo, Diva Fever, Storm Lee, Belle Amie, F.Y.D, possibly John Adeleye and Treyc Cohen.... they'd all struggle to get through this year. Series 5 had Scott Bruton, Eoghan Quigg, Daniel Evans, Girl Band and Bad Lashes, all who wouldn't have got through now. The Girls were stronger in Series 5.

I stand corrected. When Chloe Jasmine said she'd glammed up Wembley I thought they were at Wembley Stadium. However, it still seems larger and more echoey than it used to. Maybe they film in a larger studio?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected. When Chloe Jasmine said she'd glammed up Wembley I thought they were at Wembley Stadium. However, it still seems larger and more echoey than it used to. Maybe they film in a larger studio?

Was Boot Camp at Wembley this year? :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't deny there were always some dross acts each year but the best ones were excellent back in the day, now it's mainly dross with the best ones being average.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't deny there were always some dross acts each year but the best ones were excellent back in the day, now it's mainly dross with the best ones being average.

Back in the day is an interesting one though - WHAT day? I guess Series 5 and 7 and a handful of strong acts but beyond that... there's been the odd one here and there but generally the talent level hasn't really been above 'decent'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Boot Camp at Wembley this year? :blush:

I don't know. Apparently it's filmed at Fountain Studios in Wembley, not Wembley Stadium. I thought when Little Mix won it was filmed at Wembley Stadium, but I could be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the day is an interesting one though - WHAT day? I guess Series 5 and 7 and a handful of strong acts but beyond that... there's been the odd one here and there but generally the talent level hasn't really been above 'decent'.

As I said, IMO, last decent year was Alexandra Burke, I really looked forward to XF - then the next year, started going downhill for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. My fav winner ever was Shayne Ward whose year also included Andy Abraham, Journey South and Brenda. Imo, Shayne's song in the final 'Over the Rainbow' was the best version I've ever heard
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redcherry wrote: »
    I agree. My fav winner ever was Shayne Ward whose year also included Andy Abraham, Journey South and Brenda. Imo, Shayne's song in the final 'Over the Rainbow' was the best version I've ever heard

Yes, that was a great series. The first three series had some great talent, I also liked Maria, Ben, Rowetta and Tabby. The sad thing is I don't think any of those people would get anywhere near the lives now.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old cliché of the talent pool running dry is probably true now. We have The Voice and singers going on BGT etc. Also you have these new singers coming on the scene like Sam Smith and John Newman who have come up without the help of these kind of talent shows and it is almost like a badge of honour to say they have done it without the hype.