Mains Socket safety covers for children (not advice)

KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
Forum Member
I'm not campaigning or anything, but I was just amazed at how something we take for granted as "safe" is quite the reverse.

http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/index.html
http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/html/photo_gallery.html

I suppose there'll be someone who disagrees ...

Comments

• A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Actually, thanks. I never knew that.

Interesting site also.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/assets/images/Model11N.jpg

We used to have those, and I can remember that as a child I couldn't get into them, but as I got older I still couldn't. I can also recall my dad breaking several trying to get into them.
    Irritating things
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting read, and fully accepted as true.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    As the ideal tool for pushing in the earth safety pin is a plug then perhaps what is needed is a plug safety cover rather than a socket safety cover ... whoops! is it too late to patent that idea? ;)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    As the ideal tool for pushing in the earth safety pin is a plug then perhaps what is needed is a plug safety cover rather than a socket safety cover ... whoops! is it too late to patent that idea? ;)
    Sadly for your bank balance i think someone has beaten you to that idea :D

Nearly every electrical appliance I have bought recently has had a mains plug fitted with a plastic cover over the pins.

Took me a while to work out why I needed a hammer to get the damn plugs into the sockets and even then no leccy flowed to power the appliance :confused::eek::D
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I suppose there'll be someone who disagrees ...

I'm a chartered electrical engineer and a member if the Institution of Electrical Engineers, and I can tell you that there is concern within the institution about these covers. Basically, for anyone who hasn't followed the link, electrical sockets have built in safety shutters so live and neutral are covered until you insert a plug - the earth pin on the plug is slightly longer and pushes the shutters aside first, exposing live and neutral so the other two pins can go in. These so called 'safety' covers that you can buy, if inserted upside down so that only the earth pin goes in, push the shutters aside leaving the live and neutral dangerously exposed. If you have any in the house and you've got kids about, chuck them out (the 'safety' covers, not the kids)!
  • noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    All things about build quality aside, much of the photo gallery seems to go on about the dangers of inserting the covers upside down... are there really that many people out there who do that, even accidentally?
    Forum Member
    I guess the majority of under-fives would give it a go, which is the whole point.
  • noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I guess the majority of under-fives would give it a go, which is the whole point.

What use the earth pin of the cover to open the slats on the live/neutral? Wouldn't exactly have thought that would be prevalent. Suppose it's a play-off of just how easily removed the cover is (which will depend on the age and capabilities of the child) and/or how easily available the covers are to little hands if not in use in sockets.
    Forum Member
    They can be easily prised off with the use of normal kitchen knife. Do not underestimate the curiosity and resourcefulness of the young child. It is what they are genetically programmed to be at that age.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks OP. The only socket accessible to granddaughter had a Mothercare plug cover which has just been binned with daughters permission.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on a minute, the covers I have seen have 3 pins Earth, Neutral and Live. If you turned it upside down the Live and Nuetral pins would stop you from plugging it in. You would need to break the live and neutral pins off in order to plug it in as shown in ops picture.

Am I missing something here?
    Forum Member
    A surface mounted socket box gives plenty of room for the live and neutral pins to go over the edge.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A surface mounted socket box gives plenty of room for the live and neutral pins to go over the edge.

Yeah, I had a look at some of the other ones in the gallery and they can be forced in upside down. Its not something that I ever really tried doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had loads of the "Mercury Telecraft" looknig ones when my brother and sister were babies. My main recollection was that my mom, dad and me always struggled to get the damn things out of the sockets at the best of times.

Pretty dangerous if you left one lying around though by the looks of it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    noelfirl wrote: »
    All things about build quality aside, much of the photo gallery seems to go on about the dangers of inserting the covers upside down... are there really that many people out there who do that, even accidentally?

No the theory is that a child could prize a safety cover off and then try to put it in upside down themselves.
  • SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never used plug covers, door locks or loo seat catches or any of those daft things when my two were little. I found teaching them the word NO was more appropriate than putting obstacles in their way, children are resourceful creatures.

The only safety devices we used in the home were a stairgate, and a playpen - could never see the point of anything else!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind the ones in upside down, the ones correctly installed which leave the edge live are more worrying.
    Sadperson wrote: »
    Never used plug covers, door locks or loo seat catches or any of those daft things when my two were little. I found teaching them the word NO was more appropriate than putting obstacles in their way, children are resourceful creatures.

The only safety devices we used in the home were a stairgate, and a playpen - could never see the point of anything else!

I wholeheartedly agree with this. In looking at the industry that has sprung up around baby proofing your house, it is such a money grabbing exercise when for years and years many many people were able to raise children without an epidemic of disaster.

Of course there are always accidents in the home, but prevention by education is a much better thing as, what happens when children are in other people's homes which don't have all these gadgets?

But I guess the point is that someone who isn't bright enough to know how a socket works, probably isn't bright enough to be able to work out how to keep their child safe from other "hazards" in the home.

In "baby proofing" we will have a stair gate, and safety corners on the glass tables in the living room. Cupboard locks, door stoppers, safety covers are just a rip off. I also saw hob guards??? For goodness sakes, if you can't keep your child safe in the kitchen when you are cooking, keep them out of the kitchen!!
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, the covers I have seen have 3 pins Earth, Neutral and Live. If you turned it upside down the Live and Nuetral pins would stop you from plugging it in. You would need to break the live and neutral pins off in order to plug it in as shown in ops picture.

Am I missing something here?

Yes.

You are assuming an idealised arrangement of socket and cover.

It's perfectly possible to expose the live mains to little fingers with these devices.

Get rid of them is the best advice to the safety concious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Webitt wrote: »
    No the theory is that a child could prize a safety cover off and then try to put it in upside down themselves.

Just like playing pegs and holes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I never knew about this before.. thanks for the thread. So is it just best to leave the sockets free?
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    I never knew about this before.. thanks for the thread. So is it just best to leave the sockets free?

Yes.

These sockets were very carefully designed to prevent accidents.

Providing devices with 'pins' that are exactly the correct size to defeat the the safety mechanism is just daft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never used them, had 3 children and only ever used stairgates (top and bottom) and a fire guard as we had an open fire.

I also used baby walkers :eek::eek: and never once had any kind of accident with them.

Like another poster said, teaching them the word NO is better than letting them do as they please and having to put as many devices in their way as possible.
  • TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who has looked after kids for over 20yrs I have always hated these covers some families did use them others didnt.
    What bugged me most was when I started childminding from home the regulations state you MUST use them........ I tried to argue my point was told no they must be used at all times to safeguard the children in my care!!!!!
    Used to make sure they were in on inspection days lol.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should have sockets where the internal shutter can be locked in place.

Any after-market device is inevitably going to have some kind of compromise.

edit: Though, ironically, a two-pin cover would be safer than a three-pin cover.