Autoglass-What`s happened to Gavin?

shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone seen the new advert? What`s happened to Gavin? It`s not the same without the Brummie accent.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen the new advert? What`s happened to Gavin? It`s not the same without the Brummie accent.

He still does the radio ads. If you're missing him tune into Kerrang! radio on 105.2FM and he'll pop up every 3 songs or so.:rolleyes:

My eldest son and his mates (aged 12 which will explain) are currently going through a phase of saying "Hi, I'm Gavin from Autoglass and I'm here to fill your crack". Cue lots of giggling. Unfortunately #2 son (8) picked up on it and we've had to tell him to stop saying it!:o
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In France they have the exact (Gavin) ad but with a French bloke. Don't know if his accent is a midlands equivalent though :)
  • Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    In France they have the exact (Gavin) ad but with a French bloke. Don't know if his accent is a midlands equivalent though :)

There's an american one too, and the guy's name is also Gavin. Odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also a German one, I noticed it on German telly in Fuerteventura. He looks like a film star! Apart from that, it's identical, even down to the jingle at the end.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm from the West Midlands and although I can't say I've overly paid attention to TV commercials recently, I'm pretty sure the Autoglass adverts with Gavin are still running in what was the Central region.

I checked out the advert with Steve in it on YouTube and it's not one I've seen before - I guess they may have stuck with the Gavin advert in the old Central (news desk west) area as it particularly sits well here. Also, I've heard the Autoglass radio advert with Gavin on talkSPORT and Gold over the past few days.

Personally, I've always liked how the Autoglass advert is not afraid to use someone with a Brummie accent as the main spokesperson for their product. I find that Midlands accents tend to be quite rare in national broadcasting and moreso in advertising. The only other advert from recent years that I can recall using a Midland accent (in a straight rather than "comedy" manner) is this Ocean Finance ad which had radio presenter Ian Danter doing the voiceover.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also a German one, I noticed it on German telly in Fuerteventura. He looks like a film star! Apart from that, it's identical, even down to the jingle at the end.

Ah but is his name Gavin?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He still does the radio ads. If you're missing him tune into Kerrang! radio on 105.2FM and he'll pop up every 3 songs or so.:rolleyes:

My eldest son and his mates (aged 12 which will explain) are currently going through a phase of saying "Hi, I'm Gavin from Autoglass and I'm here to fill your crack". Cue lots of giggling. Unfortunately #2 son (8) picked up on it and we've had to tell him to stop saying it!:o

Spoilsport! I'm in my 40s and have a (supposedly) responsible job in the media but my colleagues and I continue to snigger about Gavin's "special resin". One is never too old to be childish.

I miss Gavin. Steve is but a poor imposter...
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Oh I must be particularly dull, I never saw/thought of a comedy spin on it, very good.

Now how did you explain the 'wrongness' of the 'crack' joke to the 8 year old, did the said 8 year old actually get the joke or simply repeat it?
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    Ah but is his name Gavin?
    Maybe it's Gavino.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin should not have been surprised at being replaced, after all that's what Autoglass do.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Gavin should not have been surprised at being replaced, after all that's what Autoglass do.

Guess he was beyond repair:)
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me three ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I must be particularly dull, I never saw/thought of a comedy spin on it, very good.

Now how did you explain the 'wrongness' of the 'crack' joke to the 8 year old, did the said 8 year old actually get the joke or simply repeat it?

I think you have to be of a certain age (ie 12) to have thought of that particular joke.:rolleyes:

The 8 year old was just told that it's not something he should really be saying. Bless him, he's a good lad and does as he's told without too many awkward questions. And yes, he was just repeating what he'd heard his big brother saying (who has also been asked to stop saying it now, especially around his little bro :eek:).
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The 8 year old was just told that it's not something he should really be saying. Bless him, he's a good lad and does as he's told without too many awkward questions. And yes, he was just repeating what he'd heard his big brother saying (who has also been asked to stop saying it now, especially around his little bro :eek:).

Is laughter really infectious or is it just people trying to conform, be one of the group.
    Kids are good value for this sort of thing
    'what are you laughing at?'
    blank stare 'ummm?'
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my daughter gets the giggles I end up the same. She's got a funny little giggle!
  • phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in Ireland we had Luke from Autoglass way before you guys got Gavin

I miss Luke :cry:
  • Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Here in Latvia, it's still Gavin, with the same accent! However, the car is replaced by a horse called Oleg, and Gavin is repairing Oleg's cracked hoofs.
  • shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Launch Fan wrote: »
    Here in Latvia, it's still Gavin, with the same accent! However, the car is replaced by a horse called Oleg, and Gavin is repairing Oleg's cracked hoofs.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • SlaneSlane Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phasers wrote: »
    in Ireland we had Luke from Autoglass way before you guys got Gavin

I miss Luke :cry:

Was that Luke with the strong Dublin accent? Very refreshing to hear it in an ad.
  • phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slane wrote: »
    Was that Luke with the strong Dublin accent? Very refreshing to hear it in an ad.
    Yep that was him!

"If you're fully comp it's usually free" :cry::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin was quite easy on the eye...
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    He's still in the radio ads on LBC (London).