Local TV test transmission today

copiermancopierman Posts: 342
Forum Member
Local TV test signal today on ch51, showing as local tv test1 number 791 & local tv test 2 number 792.
Receiving at about 50% strength and 40% quality here in Worcester.:)

Comments

• copiermancopierman Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I am presuming this signal is from Sutton Coldfield
    Forum Member
    Signal strength is steady now at about 50% but quality is bouncing arround all over the place:confused:
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing coming through on Channel 51 from Wenvoe, even though I am about 25 miles away, I should get a signal when the tests do start. I live on top of a hill about half a mile from Blackwood, and use a group B, horizontally polarized outdoor aerial
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is London testing?
    Forum Member
    791 & 792 both sending out tone and Black screen with the message "Test Transmission" in white:)
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    copierman wrote: »
    791 & 792 both sending out tone and Black screen with the message "Test Transmission" in white:)
    So confirmation once again that local TV coverage is going to be better than expected, the extra robust transmission mode really helping.

The B'ham Local Mux of course being beamed SW from Sutton Coldfield towards Birmingham, and then on to you in Worcester. Sadly, it can't beam northeast as it would disrupt signals from both Derby and Nottingham transmitter sites!
  • Think TVThink TV Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »
    Is London testing?

No, no signal present on UHF channel 29 from Crystal Palace.
  • richjj1978richjj1978 Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    It is supposed to be on UHF 29 from my local transmitter at Brierley Hill. Not there yet though.

Then again, i seem to remember it had a licence issued for a local RSL back in the Analogue days which never made it to air. Here's hoping it makes it this time
  • jastvjastv Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Will the cb75 postcode area get local tv and as I am originally from London would like to know if London live will be on sat tv and internet
    Forum Member
    jastv wrote: »
    Will the cb75 postcode area get local tv and as I am originally from London would like to know if London live will be on sat tv and internet

The signal from Cambridge local TV will just graze the bottom of the CB7 5** postcode area. London Live will be on satellite, but only on Sky channel 117 in its core coverage area. We don't know which satellite it will appear on or which frequency for manual tuning purposes either via Sky other channels or for Freesat receivers, non-Freesat mode.
    Forum Member
    Think TV wrote: »

To note that the mux launch date for Birmingham is 30/01/2014. London mux launch date not until March (according to Ofcom documents).
    Forum Member
    Just had a check of UHF channel 51 here. Seems 51 from Derby relay stronger than usual (normally not enough to sustain a picture, just an occasional trace of a signal). Other UHF channels from the same relay not receivable. I don't know if its just the current conditions favouring a usable signal on 51 only from Derby, or if there's been a few tweaks in view of B'ham local mux launching. The Ofcom coverage map for the local mux showed a small 'splatter' in the direction of Derby.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think TV wrote: »

Thank you very much.
    Forum Member
    The antenna for local TV in London only went up the Crystal Palace mast just under two weeks ago. It'll be 2014 before you see tests in London.
  • dragon-itdragon-it Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    richjj1978 wrote: »
    It is supposed to be on UHF 29 from my local transmitter at Brierley Hill. Not there yet though.

Then again, i seem to remember it had a licence issued for a local RSL back in the Analogue days which never made it to air. Here's hoping it makes it this time

yeah wasn't it "black country tv" or something...

I suppose I'll have to stick a Sutton Coldfield aerial up aswell as the 1970's Brierley Hill one to see what the new muxes are like around here.

Steve
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    dragon-it wrote: »
    yeah wasn't it "black country tv" or something...

Yep. http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/uktv2.htm - bottom of the page is the most complete RSL data I'm aware of (although some of it seems "out of date" if you get my meaning)
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    So confirmation once again that local TV coverage is going to be better than expected, the extra robust transmission mode really helping.

The B'ham Local Mux of course being beamed SW from Sutton Coldfield towards Birmingham, and then on to you in Worcester. Sadly, it can't beam northeast as it would disrupt signals from both Derby and Nottingham transmitter sites!

Uktv site map for this local Tv service area shows the usual shadow over Worcestershire caused by the Lickey Hills on the South side of Birmingham.
    As slight off topic note....The Lickey Hills has always been a band site for transmitters but recently a DAB transmitter was installed on a Severn Trent water tower for one of the Birmingham multiplexes and although low power it puts the best signal out into Worcestershire down the M5 and beyond.
    Forum Member
    Anyone know why we have two test signals on this ch 51 multiplex one on LCN 791 and the other on LCN 792 ?:confused:
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know why we have two test signals on this ch 51 multiplex one on LCN 791 and the other on LCN 792 ?:confused:

The local muxes will carry more than just a single local service, there will also be other national syndicated channels
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's just my TV Card throwing a wobbley or not but it's recording what appeared to be an empty multiplex from Waltham about 15 minutes ago (and 30 minutes + 1 hour before that).
    PID Usage Chart
    0x000e (0.185%) *0/1 0x000e Unknown usage
    0x0015 (0.185%) *0/1 0x0015 Unknown usage
    0x001e (0.185%) *0/1 0x001e Unknown usage
    0x001f (0.185%) 0x001f Unknown usage
    0x0046 (0.185%) *0/1 0x0046 Unknown usage
    0x004f (0.185%) 0x004f Unknown usage
    0x0050 (0.185%) 0x0050 Unknown usage
    0x0051 (0.185%) 0x0051 Unknown usage
    0x0065 (0.185%) 0x0065 Unknown usage
    0x0087 (0.185%) *0/1 0x0087 Unknown usage
    0x008a (0.185%) *0/1 0x008a Unknown usage
    0x0094 (0.185%) 0x0094 Unknown usage
    0x009c (0.185%) 0x009c Unknown usage
    And loads more besides.
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    The local muxes will carry more than just a single local service, there will also be other national syndicated channels

Can you expand on this please:confused:
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Each local multiplex will carry three tv stations

1 local television station (on Freeview channel 8 in England)
    2 "national" services - these have yet to be announced but will be available on all multiplexes carrying local tv services.

For example if the 2 national services happened to be movies4men and Capital TV* anyone who gets a local station will also get those.

e,g, in Preston you'd get
    1. Your TV Preston and Blackpool;
    2. Movies4Men*
    3. Capital TV*

in Nottingham you'd get
    1. Notts TV
    2. Movies4Men*
    3. Capital TV*

in London you'd get
    1. London Live
    2. Movies4Men*
    3. Capital TV*

* Used for examples only - no idea what the actual services will be
    kev wrote: »
    Not sure if it's just my TV Card throwing a wobbley or not but it's recording what appeared to be an empty multiplex from Waltham about 15 minutes ago (and 30 minutes + 1 hour before that).

And loads more besides.

Hmm, there is something there - however only one of my tv cards can see it, none of my tv's can tune to it - however my Humax PVRT is showing 58% signal strength and 10% signal quality (vs 85% and 100% on the PSBs and 21% + 0% for where there is just background noise) ~ 45% strength was plenty high enough to decode pre-DSO COM5 and COM6 though
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In short, there is capacity on the local TV muxes to carry an additional 2 SD channels or 1 HD.

http://canismedia.co.uk/two-new-city-dtt-video-streams-deliver-access-to-10-million-dtt-home/
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a multiplex, therefore it can carry several video channels, the multiplex owner can therefore subsidise the cost of operating the multiplex, by carrying other material, which is very likely to be nationally syndicated tat, such as 'info-commercial' shopping channels etc.

Don't get too excited by what's coming on those :cool:
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    North East local TV will be interesting next year.