Options

Kingsman: The Secret Service

treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really like the look of this film. It looks like a good concept.

I hope that the quality of the movie is as good as the trailer.

Kingsman

Comments

• Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew Vaughn's a mixed bag for me. I loved Kick-Ass but I thought Layer Cake and X-Men First Class were kinda dull. I'll see it for Samuel L Jackson and Michael Caine.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew Vaughn's a mixed bag for me. I loved Kick-Ass but I thought Layer Cake and X-Men First Class were kinda dull. I'll see it for Samuel L Jackson and Michael Caine.

I hadn't noticed the director and now with further investigation I see that Jonathan Ross's wife once again, does the screenplay.

Not that that's a bad thing. Hopefully he will interview her one day :)

Fingers crossed, it's as good as it looks.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed the director and now with further investigation I see that Jonathan Ross's wife once again, does the screenplay.

Not that that's a bad thing. Hopefully he will interview her one day :)

Fingers crossed, it's as good as it looks.

Oh yeah, loved the trailer. Though I didn't know Jonathan Ross' wife did this screenplay and for Kick-Ass, wow :o
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Christ alive, that looks wretched.

Wanted with a Hollywoodised 'yoof'. Yeah, cheers.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Pity to read that Kingsman: The Secret Service has been moved back to the 13th February 2015
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Pity to read that Kingsman: The Secret Service has been moved back to the 13th February 2015

One of the Empire writers said he'd seen the first 20 minutes or so and it looked very good, so it might not be quality reasons that have pushed it back...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I read that as well but from what I read that the delay is to market the film and finish some special effects.The move will also put the film up against 50 Shades Of Grey so they think it will do well as a male antidote to that film!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really disappointed this has been pushed back to 2015.

The trailer looks fantastic and this was one of my most anticipated movies of 2014. Although what's more disturbing is it's being dumped in February. That certainly doesn't bode well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Really disappointed this has been pushed back to 2015.

The trailer looks fantastic and this was one of my most anticipated movies of 2014. Although what's more disturbing is it's being dumped in February. That certainly doesn't bode well.

January is where it would be dumped if Fox thought it was shit. February is the big new month for non-blockbuster films that aren't awards contenders. My guess is Matthew Vaughn wants more time, and Fox want to increase awareness, so it's a mutually beneficial thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guess is Matthew Vaughn wants more time, and Fox want to increase awareness, so it's a mutually beneficial thing.

It's all a guess really! No one knows a thing.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah, loved the trailer. Though I didn't know Jonathan Ross' wife did this screenplay and for Kick-Ass, wow :o

Jane Goldman.

Come on, she deserves better respect than being known as 'Jonathan Ross's wife'. :D Here's her other scripts so far:

The Debt
    X-Men: First Class
    The Woman in Black
    Stardust
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also scissored at the request of the bbfc this week, along with Taken 3.
    bbfc wrote:
    This film was originally seen for advice in an unfinished version. The company was informed the film was likely to be classified 18, but that their requested 15 could be achieved by making some reductions in scenes of violence. When the finished version was submitted for formal classification, reductions had been made and the film was passed 15.

Special extended edition 18 cert blu-ray in the offing no doubt.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will flop hard.

The recent trailers have kind of dulled, the minimal curiosity I had about this film.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    This will flop hard.

Not a chance. This comment reminds me of the thread predicting Guardians of the Galaxy would flop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not a chance. This comment reminds me of the thread predicting Guardians of the Galaxy would flop.

I don't know, Guardians of the Galaxy was a PG-13, Kingsman is unlikely to be, if it got an 18 uncut...

And Guardians had the added advantage of having an inbuilt fanbase. Millar and Gibbons have fanbases, but not on that level...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't the previous poster say that it was passed by the BBFC as a 15 not a 18?

Im really looking forward to watching this film but I think the trailers have not shown how violent this film is going to be!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been getting fantastic reviews over in the States where it's already been screened at various events, etc. The reviews have ALL mentioned the film is extremely violent, so they've probably seen the uncut version. Such a shame we're going to get the censored version just so it can get a 15 certificate for the kids! So f*cking annoying!

Matthew Vaughn has once again knocked it out of the park. Colin Firth is also great in this.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic. I'am basing this on the studio's lack of faith in the project, the move to Jan/Feb and the desperate scattergun approach, to promotional material. They've given too much away, to generate interest.

On top of that, it's 15 Certificate (American 'R' rating) alienates their money-maker crowd. This is a child's film. I can't see older people being interested.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't trying to be antagonistic. I'am basing this on the studio's lack of faith in the project, the move to Jan/Feb and the desperate scattergun approach, to promotional material. They've given too much away, to generate interest.

On top of that, it's 15 Certificate (American 'R' rating) alienates their money-maker crowd. This is a child's film. I can't see older people being interested.

No problem, I didn't see it as being antagonistic.

I'm basing my opinion on pre-release tracking which is looking very healthy, along with mainly positive reviews, and by all accounts it was made on quite a low budget, so I don't think there'll be much difficulty turning a profit on this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Moving to January is low faith, February is the new place to put non-blockbusters that aren't likely to win Oscars. I think a move to February might indicate the studio has more faith in the film.

There have been 18s that have been cut down to PG-13 (notably Taken), but I very much doubt this will be one of those.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Difficult to say how it'll fare really. Opening the same weekend as 50 Shades looks like counter-programming from Fox, and as always that could go either way. But I imagine Fox will be more invested in Taken 3, which opens a month earlier, as well as pushing whatever Award interests they have (if any). The awards themselves will doubtlessly be getting as much media space as possible too.

On paper, it's perhaps got its work cut out. It all depends if audiences really want the sort of flippant violent action it looks like its trading on. But you never know - it could prove a surprise, and maybe do a 'Lucy'.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose one problem they'll have with this is that people might possibly not bother with the cinema release in the hope that the uncut 18 rated version will be released on disc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see Kingsman The Secret Service as a child's film like previous poster has stated as its aimed at the same adult audience that went to see Kick Ass which was also a 15

Im really looking forward to seeing it but it's a pity that we won't see the uncut version in the cinema
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    I don't see Kingsman The Secret Service as a child's film like previous poster has stated as its aimed at the same adult audience that went to see Kick Ass which was also a 15

Im really looking forward to seeing it but it's a pity that we won't see the uncut version in the cinema

I did think the "child's film" comment was rather strange also. I certainly agree with you that it's probably in the same bracket as something like Kick Ass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe "child's film" is going too far.

But the whole aspect of "yeah, yeah, violence! yeah, yeah, cool!" that films like this seem to possess does come over as somewhat adolescent. To some of us anyway.