Jenna Coleman won't tell if she's leaving Doctor Who

Comments

• doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    It's the way it should be. One of the more annoying things of watching this show is that something like this is often in the papers and on this forum weeks or months before it's ever on screen, so this time Im glad no one is telling. This way even the biggest spoiler hounds won't find out and when she does leave it will actually be a surprise for everyone in the episode.

She may even leave at the end of this season and no one would have a clue
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter if she leaves - there's millions more of her out there :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the way it should be. One of the more annoying things of watching this show is that something like this is often in the papers and on this forum weeks or months before it's ever on screen, so this time Im glad no one is telling. This way even the biggest spoiler hounds won't find out and when she does leave it will actually be a surprise for everyone in the episode.

She may even leave at the end of this season and no one would have a clue

Agreed. Hard enough to invest in disposable characters as it is without a deadline.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for her. I am glad to see that some people can still keep a secret. :)

Knowing what is going to happen before it happens is overrated; just ask a cyclops. :)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I'm not at all invested in Clara which is a shame because I think she could have been great. I think she peaked too early (Asylum of the Daleks was her best episode, for me at least).

But the 'impossible girl' story plus her paper-thin background story just doesn't give me nearly enough to care about. So, sadly, I hope the rumour is true.

This does remind me of the stories that appeared about half way through season 3 that Freema Agyeman was being written out. Poor old Freema wasn't allowed to say a thing! I remember her appearing on the couch with Richard and Judy and admitting she just wasn't allowed to say.
  • jay82jay82 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Never really liked her as character not as good as others before her and not sure if I am not liking Peter because of her or him :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    The surprise at Christmas:
    Doctor and Clara both get killed. Clara dies, Doctor regenerates into her likeness.
    Thus, Clara's gone but Coleman stays.

I'm trolling, of course. They wouldn't throw Capaldi away that soon. :p
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really hope she stays, she has been brilliant so far this series:)
    Forum Member
    I'm not totally blown away with the character they're writing for her but Jenna is doing a good job of it - (and she's the best looking lass on TV at the moment)
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter if she leaves - there's millions more of her out there :)

Where ?? I wanna meet them !

:)
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely right.

Where's the fun in watch in watching a show when you already know what's going to happen?

I'd rather it be blissfully unaware and if she stays great, I like her. If she leaves. Look forward to the new assistant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like her so hopes she stays - hope they mindf*ck the media, and say "yeah shes leaving" then she stays for another 2 years :D
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not totally blown away with the character they're writing for her but Jenna is doing a good job of it - (and she's the best looking lass on TV at the moment)

er.... Karen Gillan was in Touch of Cloth only recently:)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I don't mind if Jenna leaves, as long as they wring lots of good character exploration out of her before she goes, which they seem to be doing plenty of so far.

That's not to say I don't like the character, I think she makes an absolutely spot-on foil for the current Doctor, but there's no point stretching that out if there's nothing left to say.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but there's no point stretching that out if there's nothing left to say.

I love you man. You sound just like my ex-wife with that line. :)
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »

Well, if you were discussing the women you spent all your time travelling with, she might have had a point!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Given the fact that even BBC3 news last night talked about whether or not Jenna might be leaving, I actually am thinking that she will leave at Christmas.
    Forum Member
    Since 2005, the departure of a companion has been treated as being almost as significant as the departure of a Doctor - probably more so in certain sectors of the press cos they get to show us lots of photos of the pretty girl who'll replace her.

That sort of publicity is worth its weight in gold and it's hard to imagine Moffat and the beeb not taking full advantage of it.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since 2005, the departure of a companion has been treated as being almost as significant as the departure of a Doctor - probably more so in certain sectors of the press cos they get to show us lots of photos of the pretty girl who'll replace her.

That sort of publicity is worth its weight in gold and it's hard to imagine Moffat and the beeb not taking full advantage of it.

I presume they won't be filming Series 9 till January at the earliest so if they are replacing Jenna they could probably get away with not announcing the new companion till after Christmas (though the replacement would likely be cast before Christmas).

So unless photo's/video's from the filming of the Christmas Special give the game away we could actually end up watching the Christmas Special not knowing if it's Jenna's last episode or not.
    Forum Member

But perhaps that's exactly what they are doing?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where ?? I wanna meet them !

:)

Blackpool. ;-):)
    Theophile wrote: »

Is this the Peri one?

(Sorry, I'm not really obsessed with your love life, honest).

Ahem....on topic - I hope I don't find out that Clara is leaving before she goes. It would be wonderful to be totally taken by surprise for once. Probably a vain hope, though.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Given the fact that even BBC3 news last night talked about whether or not Jenna might be leaving, I actually am thinking that she will leave at Christmas.

There's another possibility. She could leave at the end of this series, leaving the Christmas special open for a "guest companion," - as they often seem to like them at Christmas - and then a new companion for series 9.

Although one thing I wished they'd do (which they sometimes did in the classic show) is have a bit of "companion overlap." ie. new companion joins before the old one leaves. Maybe just across one episode or across a few episodes. But have a bit of overlap so it feels like less of a switch from old to new.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    There's another possibility. She could leave at the end of this series, leaving the Christmas special open for a "guest companion," - as they often seem to like them at Christmas - and then a new companion for series 9.

Although one thing I wished they'd do (which they sometimes did in the classic show) is have a bit of "companion overlap." ie. new companion joins before the old one leaves. Maybe just across one episode or across a few episodes. But have a bit of overlap so it feels like less of a switch from old to new.

Jenna says she's filming until October and given that they're filming the Xmas special for the next 4 weeks...
    Also there's rumours that she was on set today and that they're filming in Clara's childhood house.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    I presume they won't be filming Series 9 till January at the earliest
    That was confirmed by Jenna in the current issue of Radio Times.
  • DavidusDavidus Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    teeswolf wrote: »
    er.... Karen Gillan was in Touch of Cloth only recently:)

Touching Cloth you say??? Sorry, this hearing aid is playing up a bit :p