Underrated Films

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which Films do you think are Underrated?

Comments

• Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Repetitive Questions - It's a little known indie film that, whilst obscure, is totally overrated by those who have seen it.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Repetitive Questions - It's a little known indie film that, whilst obscure, is totally overrated by those who have seen it.

LOL

But seriously... Batman Begins - the best comic book movie ever made. Yes, even better than The Dark Knight and the Avengers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I really like 2010 the sequel to the Arthur C Clarke based film 2001, I feel the science is believable.

But it doesn't get the acclaim of the original.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead.
    Out of Sight.
    Palookaville.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speed racer
    Telstar
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for the follow up to "The return of the man who never came back"
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Journey of Natty Gann
    Silent Running
    Enemy Mine
    DragonSlayer
    The Fog (Original)
    Repo Man
    The Last Stafighter
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Set-Up (1949) - a decent boxing film with an excellent sequence.
    I hope when it's remade, they will go with the original story, which features a black boxer (he's white in this film adaptation). Either way, it's worth watching if you're into boxing or editing. Or Robert Ryan, of course.

Who's Minding the Mint? (1967) - heist/caper + low-key comedy + a touch of surrealism. Jim 'father of Timothy' Hutton shows here why he was one of most liked actors during his time. RIP, Hutton.

Larceny, Inc. (1942) - Edward G. Robinson + low-key comedy = sublime.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shy People
    The Night Listener
    The Rose
    Chicago Cab
    The Shipping News
    Friends with Money
    Deep End
    The Girl from Petrovka
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the follow up to "The return of the man who never came back"

Yep. Even Final Destination 2 made me smile, but then I think they are up to about number 6 so what do I know?
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Ghost Town (Ricky Gervais). Vastly underrated rom com.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartlands with Michael Sheen

Outside Providence with Alec Baldwin, Amy Smart and Shaun Hatsowy
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Croods

This is one of the most beautiful heartwarming films I've ever seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to go for three more recent films that seem to be underrated or overlooked:

- Moon - Starring Sam Rockwell. Seems to be getting more exposure now thanks to Source Code by the same director, but this debut film for the director is better and Sam Rockwell himself is a massively underrated actor. The film uses old school movie making methods - such as models instead of CGI - and it has a great story and lead actor.

- Rush - Semi-fictional biopic about racing driver James Hunt. Easily the best film of last year IMO. The feel of the movie is very good, the re-enactments of the events are spot on, the casting, particularly the two leads, is perfect and the film has an amazing soundtrack and story. Even a non-racing fan could watch this and enjoy it IMO.

- Locke - Starring Tom Hardy. It got a limited release in the UK and those that have seen it (besides the critics) are slating it when in reality its a decent movie and massively underrated. At its core is a simple plot - yes, but the way its filmed is good and Tom Hardy's performance is immense, I can't picture another actor holding your attention for 90minutes whilst he drives.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to go for three more recent films that seem to be underrated or overlooked:

- Moon - Starring Sam Rockwell. Seems to be getting more exposure now thanks to Source Code by the same director, but this debut film for the director is better and Sam Rockwell himself is a massively underrated actor. The film uses old school movie making methods - such as models instead of CGI - and it has a great story and lead actor.

That film totally wrecked my head and I was sober when I watched it
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Seeing that it's October and i'm in horror movie mode:

The Changeling
    Stir Of Echoes
    Pandorum
    Black Christmas
    House
    Burnt Offerings
    Alice Sweet Alice
    Race With The Devil
    The Collector
    30 Days Of Night
    The Relic
    Daybreakers
    Stage Fright
    Outlander
    Frailty
    The Reaping
    Phantoms
    Slither
    Night Of The Creeps
    Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Out of Sight (1998)

My favourite film of 1998, so when I showed it to a group of who I thought were like minded friends and only half of them loved it I was more than surprised.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under-rated films are over-rated.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Seeing that it's October and i'm in horror movie mode:

30 Days Of Night
    Frailty
    Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch

I think a lot less people would be critical of Halloween 3: Season of the Witch had it been classed as a film in its own right instead of part of the Halloween franchise. A lot of the criticism is due to the absence of Michael Myers, but it's actually a great little film that deserves a lot more respect.

Frailty and 30 Days of Night are both brilliant.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I find the film "The 13th Warrior" to be very underrated.

To me, it was a highly atmospheric film with brilliant performances and an intriguing plot that alluded to many things, but didn't feel the need to shove any of them down your throat.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my favourite all time movie is 12 Angry Men but i don't think that is under rated. However, one film i love which i think is is - The Assassination of Richard Nixon with Sean Penn. Great film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jersey girl
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I find the film "The 13th Warrior" to be very underrated.

To me, it was a highly atmospheric film with brilliant performances and an intriguing plot that alluded to many things, but didn't feel the need to shove any of them down your throat.

I liked that film as well. Quite a few friends hated it, though. They made fun of the part where he learnt their language.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seance on a wet afternoon
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I thought superman returns was very much underrated, i watched every movie over the course of 2 days recently, and you know what, it wasnt at all bad, the music was amazing, and spacey and Routh captured their characters perfectly, the only mis step casting wise was Louis lane being too young.