Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
    It were done quickly

Apparently...
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know :o I have been skipping over it for a week and its still here. So I thought "Oh bugger if you can't beat them.." etc and clicked to see what it was all about.

Thirty eight :o 38 blessed pages. It rivals the spoiler thread. I feel like demanding a summary at the top of each new page. :D

Now do I read the 38 pages or is life too short? :D

If you read post 904, the only thing you will have missed by skipping the preceding 903 is some comments about the twitter rants of the delusional egotistical spouse of one of the principals in this saga.

From p38 on it becomes quite entertaining, indeed I am quite proud to have started a thread that has evolved into literary surrealism!
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This story has added a whole new level of enjoyment to watching Steve and Ola dance :D
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the Steve and Ola situation as Shakespeare, I see it a circa 1985 American mainstream comedy movie.

A several-years-older-than-he-claims-to-be dancer, played by Bill Pullman, gets sacked from a popular television entertainment show over his diva-ish backstage antics. His younger, more attractive, wife, played by Daryl Hannah, continues on the show. He pretends to be supportive but struggles with his wife being the breadwinner and conspires with a seedy gossip columnist, played by Lloyd Bridges, to scupper her career.

The entertainment show is a dance competition involving unlikely members of the public and Daryl Hannah is partnered with a bear-wrangler from Yellowstone who has never worn shoes before, played by Tom Selleck. It's hate at first sight but they are an unlikely hit with the public. Cue much comedy as Bill Pullman struggles to live as a house-husband, cue much comedy as Tom Selleck has to do airy-fairy stuff like ballet lessons, cue much comedy as Daryl Hannah has to go camping without a hairdryer. But Tom Selleck not only falls in love with dance, he falls in love with Daryl. Then one day, during a photo-shoot at a zoo, a leopard escapes as Daryl poses in its enclosure. Bill Pullman can't save her because he is just a wimpy dancer but Tom Selleck leaps to the rescue. Daryl realises all she wants in life is to be married to a real man like Tom and they run off to live in a log cabin in Wyoming. Hooray! Cue a song by The Pointer Sisters to end the movie.

I would SO watch that movie.

Mainly because - Tom Selleck. *sigh*
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL Russian Vine - grows a foot between blinks!

Can it grow an ankle between shows? :(
  • BadWigeonBadWigeon Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A fully functional non-fused one, then we are eyes on the prize!
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadWigeon wrote: »
    A fully functional non-fused one, then we are eyes on the prize!

:D:D
    The Russian Vine Salamander probably can
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    If you read post 904, the only thing you will have missed by skipping the preceding 903 is some comments about the twitter rants of the delusional egotistical spouse of one of the principals in this saga.

From p38 on it becomes quite entertaining, indeed I am quite proud to have started a thread that has evolved into literary surrealism!

Thank you

I realised my curiosity is burning now having clicked the thread so I was resigned to reading the whole bally lot. :o>:(:confused:blush:

Your Brodie's notes version may have saved me some angst. :D
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobbla wrote: »
    In VTs Ola has always appeared too harsh in the training room, haranguing her partners to a level that makes me uncomfortable. Its the main reason i've never particularly liked her or warmed to her.

This story though is bizarre. Her partners, including Steve, have never shown the slightest indication that it bothers them and while i don't like it i've always assumed its more a 'her bark is worse than her bite' kind of thing.

Someone is out to get either Ola or Steve and that story is not pretty!!

A lot of Ola's partners have been sportsmen or former sportsmen though who are probably used to 'tough love' and being pushed to the limits and would probably have no problems with that. Part of the job of the pro is know what suits your celeb down to training technique. It is concievable that Ola has got used to training in a certain way that doesn't suit Steve or that she's not a happy bunny generally because hubbie got the sack.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dander wrote: »
    I don't know whether to believe or not believe this.

I had noticed that he seems very flat in personality on things like ITT and stuff, and you never hear him saying that he's loving the experience like you do with Judy and Alison. He seems quite different from the man one is used to seeing on Deadly in that sort of life and enthusiasm respect. I had kind of interpreted that as he wasn't particularly enjoying himself because this is just not his kind of thing and that perhaps he'd assumed he would be voted out reasonably soon and he wasn't expecting to still be here after this many weeks - and that he was secretly hoping to be in that dance-off each week!

But I can see if the relationship with Ola isn't good, that would also explain his demeanour a lot.

Certainly I agree with the people that say the tone of article and comments that assume a man is a wimp for being bullied - and that a small woman is automatically innocent - are certainly very wrong and that kind of prejudice is very unhelpful to general life, regardless of the facts of this particular case.

Also, having had experience of bullying at work procedures, remember in real life tackling a problem with a third party mediation can actually be the most sensible and successful way to deal with problems. That doesn't make it a formal accusation of bullying. Often this kind of thing happens when a person doesn't realise the detrimental effect their manner has on another person, and for the other person to raise it directly with them can actually have a worse result than taking a less personal approach. Think marriage guidance. I would interpret the mention of a "chaperone" as being very much that type of thing.

Can I just re-assure you that as someone who doesn't have time to watch ITT these days and had no knowledge of Steve prior to SCD that he is still coming across as a lovely guy with a great personality at least to me (and the fact that people are still voting for him despite this story proves I'm not unique) - just thought that as an obvious Steve fan you might want to know that.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    A lot of Ola's partners have been sportsmen or former sportsmen though who are probably used to 'tough love' and being pushed to the limits and would probably have no problems with that. Part of the job of the pro is know what suits your celeb down to training technique. It is concievable that Ola has got used to training in a certain way that doesn't suit Steve or that she's not a happy bunny generally because hubbie got the sack.

A certain kind of woman can say anything to a bloke and he'll lap it up. One of my tango teachers has a reputation for being blunt; but because she is even better looking than Flavia she can say anything (with a smile) to me. I wouldn't and don't stand for others male or female saying similar things.

I have not come across blunt / rude male tango teachers but I have come across two blunt / rude female teachers - excluding the very beautiful one mentioned who has licence to say anything. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    Julius Caesar is more appropriate for James " Infamy, infamy they've all got it in for me " :)

Excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvs4bOMv5Xw
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member

Even if you detest puns and/or Carry On films, that will never, EVER, stop being funny.
  • strictlyliciousstrictlylicious Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you detest puns and/or Carry On films, that will never, EVER, stop being funny.

How very very true Dippy. Fun now as the Carry Ons seem to be getting a new lease of life on many of the cable channels etc. Such a tonic if you've had a bad day ;-);-)
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    Bill Pullman has a small cameo role as an internet troll who abuses Mark and tries to organise online armies to sabotage all the contestants but gets sued for defamation by Brad Pitt and ends the film destitute. Meryl Streep played Toss Weekly who bravely hides her inability to read an autocue by startling people into catatonia with her costume choices. (Meryl's Wig wins best supporting actress)

Genius. She will now have no other name in this house.

For ever.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Coming up to 1000 posts and still none the wiser about the alleged happening.
    Mountain out of a moleshill me thinks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »

Planned press campaign by Strictly, Steve and the Jordans and the Mail got suckered into churning it.

Now there's the follow-up happy ever after sweetness and light kiss and make-up press release copy and pasted verbatim by The Mirror.

Pretty effective I would say in terms of generating column inches, Twitter noise and pages on DS - and viewers, votes and ratings. And ratings success is all that matters for Strictly.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention increased sales of tin foil for millinery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    katmobile wrote: »

If you have seen any of Steve's programmes, especially the ones for grown-ups, it is clear that he is someone who lives to push his limits. He is a sportsman as he does martial arts and outdoors/extreme sports. The issue isn't whether Ola is pushing him too hard, it's whether or not she talks to him like dirt and makes him feel she is unapproachable.
    Forum Member
    Are we all going be watching them carefully on ITT tonight? We must remember that when they appeared on ITT last week this issue had already occurred and, maybe, journalists were already involved. I thought Ola looked exhausted last week.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have seen any of Steve's programmes, especially the ones for grown-ups, it is clear that he is someone who lives to push his limits. He is a sportsman as he does martial arts and outdoors/extreme sports. The issue isn't whether Ola is pushing him too hard, it's whether or not she talks to him like dirt and makes him feel she is unapproachable.

I dunno. I guess in his world, with his team, and with his stupid stoicism, if he says 'This is going to hurt', people will say 'Don't do it Steve'. And then he'll go ahead and do it. He's prob less used to it going like this:

SB: This is going to hurt
    OJ: Again... Do it again... Etc

It's a different world and dancers may not realise the other-world limits. Bottom line is it's taken 6 years and 13 operations to get through that injury. Steve's own people at the NHU are going to understand and know what it is and protect him (sometimes from himself). The SCD team is less knowledgeable, probably, rather than less sympathetic.

I'm hoping.

When you add in the knowledge everything should be fine again. I'm hoping.

If that is indeed the issue
    If there was an issue
    :p
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »

If it hadn't been for James Jordan sticking his fat arsed oar in it would have been done and dusted in a page and 24 hours. He's such a tosspot, he made it far worse for Ola. I wonder how many more Twatter hissy fits he'll have before the end of the series?
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJ Spoony, Andrew Castle, Paul Daniels, Sid Owen.......and I'm ready to be corrected here but neither did I hear of these four leaping to her defence either. :p
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And his injury isn't a dancer's injury. :(

Question: Is it stoical or stupid to push himself/allow himself to be pushed to the pain barrier and beyond?
    Forum Member
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    DJ Spoony, Andrew Castle, Paul Daniels, Sid Owen.......and I'm ready to be corrected but neither did I hear of these four leaping to her defence either. :p

Andrew Castle asked Steve to direct message him on Twitter.