Options

Peter Young's Soul Cellar - 35th anniversary

SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Five years ago I started a thread to congratulate Peter Young on the 30th anniversary of his soul cellar. It hardly seems possible that the 35th is now upon us. Still on Jazz FM as it was in 2009 - and that's an achievement in itself given the changes there in recent times - and showing no sign of stopping. The anniversary show is tomorrow (Saturday 23rd August) from 2 till 6. I'm sure many will wish to join me in congratulating PY on his survival and maintaining a high standard week after week despite the present state of music radio.

Hopefully I'll still be here in August 2019 to start a thread marking the cellar's 40th birthday. I'm sure Peter will still be there doing it. :D

Comments

• Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm allergic to most presenters, but PY is required listening.

His music knowledge and irrepressible enthusiasm is amazing.
  • Options
    baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PY show is still relevant and such an enjoyable listen...
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    For those unable to catch it live, http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/dar/exactlater.asp?search=Jazz%20FM
    Set for 1255GMT and record for 255 mins in duration.
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Young is one of my radio hero's, I have been listening to his soul shows for well over 30 years, He must be one of the best music radio presenters ever!!!
  • Options
    RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably August 1979 was when he started it on Capital?

Westwood used to be on after the Soul Cellar when he'd just been recruited from the pirates. "The brother PY".
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably August 1979 was when he started it on Capital?

Westwood used to be on after the Soul Cellar when he'd just been recruited from the pirates. "The brother PY".

I started listening in 1981 ish i think? A friend of mine who lived in London would record the show on to cassette for me and post them up to the midlands, I wished i had kept them but times were a bit tight so i would listen to the show and post them back for him to use again!!!
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Did PY go to Radio Mercury for a while before returning to Capital FM as it had become?
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PY a legend in his own headphones. he is just a natural talent, so funny and knows his stuff, I remember him on Night Flight and the Capital Countdown way before the cellar was on the air, shame he's not on daily.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Did PY go to Radio Mercury for a while before returning to Capital FM as it had become?

Yes he did, from launch in Oct 1984 for about a year.

Yes, the Soul Cellar did start on Capital, Aug Bank Holiday 1979, I can remember it .

His knowledge of music is massive, anyone recall him as team captain on early 80s Sunday lunchtime quiz YAHNY ? (You Ain't Heard Nothing Yet) . I think Phil Swern was the other team captain ?
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    A very good presenter. Heard a couple of his JFM programmes earlier this year. Did he do the lates or overnights on Capital prior to 1979? I feel he alternated with Tony Myatt and Mike Allen at times but am hazy on those time slots.
  • Options
    Francis HFrancis H Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    PY also presented drivetime on Capital for a couple of years in the eighties, a great listen. Then Kid Jensen took over and it all became highly formatted and rather sterile. Interesting that the Kid seems to have virtually disappeared from the airwaves, while PY is still going strong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francis H wrote: »
    PY also presented drivetime on Capital for a couple of years in the eighties, a great listen. Then Kid Jensen took over and it all became highly formatted and rather sterile. Interesting that the Kid seems to have virtually disappeared from the airwaves, while PY is still going strong.

The "Kid" is on The Wireless presenting Jensen's Dimensions for the younger readers that was the name of a show he presented on Radio Luxembourg in the early 70s from 01.00. PY was also teamed up with Gary Crowley for a midweek show on Capital rather strange mix I felt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    The "Kid" is on The Wireless presenting Jensen's Dimensions for the younger readers that was the name of a show he presented on Radio Luxembourg in the early 70s from 01.00. PY was also teamed up with Gary Crowley for a midweek show on Capital rather strange mix I felt

A very strange combination.

I don't remember it and can't imagine it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very strange combination.

I don't remember it and can't imagine it. :)

they went through a phase in the eighties where there were "alternative " music shows on from 8.30-10.30 followed by John Sachs late show. I think that was the show that paired Mick and Pat.

PY also did a stint on BBC London
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    they went through a phase in the eighties where there were "alternative " music shows on from 8.30-10.30 followed by John Sachs late show. I think that was the show that paired Mick and Pat.

PY also did a stint on BBC London

I don't remember him on BBC London either! :D PY was Capital 70s to me - and I was a very regular listener to GC in the late 1980s on BBC Radio in London. Both he and the NME had a big influence on who I saw live at that time.

I guess as a fan of soul (along with many other things) in the 1970s and then much more for indie and guitar bands (along with many other things!) in the late 1980s, I went to whoever was playing what I wanted to listen to on the radio. Certainly by the mid-late 1980s soul was very (too) commercial and I must have drifted from PY at that point.
  • Options
    Francis HFrancis H Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    I don't remember him on BBC London either! :D PY was Capital 70s to me - and I was a very regular listener to GC in the late 1980s on BBC Radio in London. Both he and the NME had a big influence on who I saw live at that time.

I guess as a fan of soul (along with many other things) in the 1970s and then much more for indie and guitar bands (along with many other things!) in the late 1980s, I went to whoever was playing what I wanted to listen to on the radio. Certainly by the mid-late 1980s soul was very (too) commercial and I must have drifted from PY at that point.

Gary Crowley and PY only ever teamed up for bank holidays on Capital. It was never a regular show. Very entertaining, as it gave them both the opportunity to depart from the music they were known for playing. The very notion that PY was ever "commercial" is laughable. Exactly the opposite was the case. He still plays a lot of great music that you just don't hear anywhere else. I also remember a show where PY was teamed with David Rodigan which was also good Rodigan chose the soul and PY the reggae. They obviously liked each other and it worked well.