How Smart have you made your current TV?

scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This thread has been influenced by a thread below.
How smart have you enabled your tv to become? Im not talking about buying a new smart tv, but oldish ones with added boxes including how you have plugged it all up to become smarter.

Old Panasonic CRT TX-28DK2 connected to;
Virgin box - scart (rear)
DVD player - scart (rear)
Free sat - RCA (on front of tv)
HP dc7700, Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz E6300 , Windows 7, 80gb hard drive, 4 gb ram, 1gb graphics card - connected with Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard + 2 sets of phillips ambilight kits. 10mb internet. Connected to the TV by S-video at front of tv
The sound from all of the equipment runs into a denon surround amp kef Qs at the front and canon surrounds at the rear, bass guitar amp being used as the sub..

Only problem is when you want to switch between freesat and the PC you have to take one out and plug the other one in..
Other then that old to smart.

Your turn?

Comments

• BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a LG 47" 3D TV with LG smart Blu ray, no idea (or care) what the model numbers are.

The blu ray is also 5.1 surround sound, it also has USB input so I have played several films through that and it gives good surround from a avi file. Not much available on the smart front though, does iplayer and youtube the rest is a bunch of pay movie channels.

Thinking about getting an Android MK808 dual core plug in stick.
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a WD TV Live connected to my TV so, as well as streaming 'stuff' from the PC, I can use YouTube and BBC's Iplayer.

Anything else I'd use the lappy or the desktop.
  • vincebenvinceben Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    In addition to the built in freeview, I have sky+ hd (iPlayer, ITV player demand5 etc), Sony BDP S370 bluray (full Demand5, BBCiPlayer, Youtube, crackle, lovefilm, Muzu etc), Nintendo Wii, (BBC iPlayer, Netflix UK, USA and Canada), Roku (BBC iPlayer, Netflix UK, crackle, CNET, revision3, ustv now, etc, etc) MK802 mark2 android mini pc,and full multi satellite system all connected to Phillips 42" plasma.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. I'm not convinced you're doing this right. Plugging lots of stuff into your TV isn't difficult. Plugging one device into your TV than fulfils all your requirements, now that I'd be interested in hearing about.

I've got an HP Pavillion HTPC plugged into my LG42" LED and in conjunction with a NAS that pretty much covers everything I need.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dadioflex wrote: »
    Hmm. I'm not convinced you're doing this right. Plugging lots of stuff into your TV isn't difficult. Plugging one device into your TV than fulfils all your requirements, now that I'd be interested in hearing about.

I've got an HP Pavillion HTPC plugged into my LG42" LED and in conjunction with a NAS that pretty much covers everything I need.

oK then ... what Dadioflex says..then the topic has sort of changed.. not completely.. but yeah...

But with an old crt and a very limited budget and everything bought as you have seen it at random or ebay or where cash converters has got the price completely wrong...fits into the equation..as not everyone has the money top just get one system.. but i understand your point
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview tvs in two rooms. Each has a Fetch tv pvr attached for freeview hd and pvr capablitiies. The two fetch boxes are paired so recordings can be watched in either room. Idiosyncratic little boxes, but somebody has to love them..

Each tv also has a Revo PC attached to it for internet stuff and general PC use. The Revo attached to the main tv has a blu ray drive and we get 5.1 sound via optical lead through our old dvd player.

That's all we need really. I'd sometimes quite like to have Sky, but there's usually too much to watch on Freeview to warrant having pay tv. Lovefilm subscription for blu rays and occasional streaming. Napster subscription for music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do have a Emprex ME1 500gb network hard drive but unfortunately the router does not seem to like it and show it up on the network, even though the device has an IP address..may have to reset the router etc. then ic an have easy access to all of my adultswim cartoons instead of it just being plugged into my tv and transferring them from pc to the emprex by a usb stick..
    Forum Member
    dadioflex wrote: »

If there was one single device that covered all then that would be perfect, but there isn't. What I want on my tv would be different to what you might want.
    The Sony Bluray and Sky he gave me most of what I wanted from a smart tv. When the Roku was launched it offered a huge additional amount of content for under £50 so the Roku is used mainly for my online viewing. The Wii is for games and the easily switching of various Netflix regions. The MK802 android stick is more of a hobby. I only just bought it as I could not beleive you could get an android pc running ICS with 1gb ram and 4gb storage for less then £40. I did buy ir remote/keyboard for additional £20. It works very well and still trying out various apps. The mk802 is good to turn tv into smart tv on its own but as you can see all boxes were aquired at different times hence why all connected together. I am a gadget fan and for me, the more the better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinceben wrote: »
    If there was one single device that covered all then that would be perfect, but there isn't. What I want on my tv would be different to what you might want.
    The Sony Bluray and Sky he gave me most of what I wanted from a smart tv. When the Roku was launched it offered a huge additional amount of content for under £50 so the Roku is used mainly for my online viewing. The Wii is for games and the easily switching of various Netflix regions. The MK802 android stick is more of a hobby. I only just bought it as I could not beleive you could get an android pc running ICS with 1gb ram and 4gb storage for less then £40. I did buy ir remote/keyboard for additional £20. It works very well and still trying out various apps. The mk802 is good to turn tv into smart tv on its own but as you can see all boxes were aquired at different times hence why all connected together. I am a gadget fan and for me, the more the better.

how does the mk802 perform?
    can you surf and stream direct from the browser?
    Forum Member
    Still trying it out. Netflix works great and in he. I had to load an older version than what was on Google Play, but only took seconds. TV catchup seems ok, only flicked through channels and all seemed fine. Could not find app for 4od and havent tried any other catchup services yet as I already have them and didn't want to fill memmory. Browsing is fast, but haven't streamed direct from browser yet. Will try that next. social networking ok. Angry Birds Space works fast. It is powered by usb, but tv doesn't have usb so connected to my satellite receiver usb for power. It is only slightly larger than a usb stick so I have put it behind tv. I connected an extension usb lead and connected IR keyboard receiver dongle to it and that is all that can be seen. (like magic eye). As said, it is just a hobby so still playing. Definatley with the money.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    55" LG Full HD 3D Smart TV. Blu-Ray 3D 5.1 Surround Sound Home Cinema. Tivo Box.