How to record pc screen?

O-JO-J Posts: 18,807
Forum Member
✭✭
Camstudio is bloody useless, it never worked on any of my Laptops,

is there a much better one which is free?

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand. What's wrong with simply using the PrtScrn button? That's what it's for.
    If you mean something to paste it into, then Faststone Image viewer is quite a good free program www.faststone.org/
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I don't understand. What's wrong with simply using the PrtScrn button? That's what it's for.
    If you mean something to paste it into, then Faststone Image viewer is quite a good free program www.faststone.org/
    I doubt that is what the OP is talking about. Camstudio records what you are doing on the computer, so that you can produce a AV demonstration of how to use some bit of software for example. Bit more than just taking static screen shots.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used Wink which worked well for me in producing a tutorial. It's freeware.
  • rocketronnie75rocketronnie75 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    another simple way of doing it is if you have a dvd recorder.

Hook your laptop up to your tv and record from your dvd recorder.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Ashampoo Snap
    https://www.ashampoo.com/uk/gbp/pin/0824/Multimedia_Software/Ashampoo-Snap-6

Is pretty good. it has a nice interface and a range of export options. it's £12.99 and comes with a free trial.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another simple way of doing it is if you have a dvd recorder.

Hook your laptop up to your tv and record from your dvd recorder.

How? not as simple as that, you need the pc source into the dvd recorder but i have never managed it since i got rid of my old tv card that had the red, white & yellow connectors on it, only got a hdmi connection now but even putting hdmi pc to dvd recorder i can't get the picture on the tv screen.

It was also easier if your pc or laptop had an S-video port then connect that way then just add audio cables.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    How? not as simple as that, you need the pc source into the dvd recorder but i have never managed it since i got rid of my old tv card that had the red, white & yellow connectors on it, only got a hdmi connection now but even putting hdmi pc to dvd recorder i can't get the picture on the tv screen.
    The reason why HDMI between PC and recorder doesn't work is because both HDMI sockets are OUTPUTs. You would need an INPUT on the recorder. Which is about as common as unicorn droppings. And it is not to be advised connecting two outputs together as HDMI outputs carry a 5V DC signal. So doing that connects both 5V sources together, which could end in tears.

There is a chance that you could record from the TV if the TV can feed whatever is being displayed on screen back down a SCART lead to the recorder. But not all TVs can do this. Many will only feed the signal from the built in tuner down the SCART lead. It is not guaranteed though that the TV can feed what is coming down a VGA/DVI/HDMI connection back out of the SCART socket.
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »

It was also easier if your pc or laptop had an S-video port then connect that way then just add audio cables.

if you have the full drivers and suite installed for your graphics card you would need to go in to your display settings. typically the various out puts are not naturally going to mirror the main display, but are treated as separate displays. so you have to tell it what to do.

You may also need to drop the res.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it has a nice interface and a range of export options. it's £12.99 and comes with a free trial.
    I think the OP was looking for something free. Why would you pay for something when the freeware alternative does the job adequately (it did for me, anyway)?
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I think the OP was looking for something free. Why would you pay for something when the freeware alternative does the job adequately (it did for me, anyway)?

Camstudio that the OP is trying to use is video capture.

Wink is, i believe image capture?

The debate over free v paid is not quite as simple as that. or nobody would use windows.
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this would work for what you want... Problem Step Recorder built into versions of 7. Type PSR into the 'run' box.

I guess it can be used not only to record problems.
    Forum Member
    fletchem wrote: »
    Not sure if this would work for what you want... Problem Step Recorder built into versions of 7. Type PSR into the 'run' box.

I guess it can be used not only to record problems.

Well i never knew that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Well i never knew that.
    According to the help, it doesn't display any text you type. Interesting find, though.

Wink records things going on in the focussed window, including slow-mo typing in any edit box on a form (remember the old teleprinter on Final Score?). You can then go back and annotate what's happening with pointy boxes like speech bubbles.

At least that's what I remember - it's a long time since I used it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Camstudio is bloody useless, it never worked on any of my Laptops,

is there a much better one which is free?

If you want to copy\print a screen shot, simply click windows help file..type: How to xxxx, and you will see a box with the options apear...simples
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    If you want to copy\print a screen shot, simply click windows help file..type: How to xxxx, and you will see a box with the options apear...simples
    I think we already established it wasn't about screen shots. However, it would help if the OP came back to tell us exactly what he was looking for. Pointless us carrying on guessing.
  • JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Debut Video Capture is quite good. It's free for non-commercial use although you'll get nagged to register for the full Pro version

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jing looked quite good when a colleague demoed it to me...

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I think we already established it wasn't about screen shots. However, it would help if the OP came back to tell us exactly what he was looking for. Pointless us carrying on guessing.

Hi everyone, Thanks for posting,
    Sorry for the late reply, I actually forgot I made this post, but kept getting DeJa Vu that I started a thread, but couldn't think of what!

Anyway, I am in need of a screen recorder that record the whole screen, I want to create YouTube tutorials for others to watch!
    The recorder should capture me doing day to day tasks on the computer, showing my mouse cursor etc etc,

I know about Jing, but that too does not work for me!

btw I know about screen shots aswell but thats not what I am looking for!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    You may want to try Screenr . It is web-based screen recorder, so you do not need to install anything onto your computer.

It can record videos in high definition and will let you share videos you have created with YouTube, Twitter, Facebook etc.
  • Simrat_HaryanaSimrat_Haryana Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    If you just want a simple screen capture, why not use the Snipping Tool which is a feature in Windows Vista and Windows 7? (I'm not sure if it exists in Windows 8, as I don't have Windows 8).