Options

A Town Called Mercy Preview Round-Up

Comments

• Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I thought you were going to say Westworld. Love that film. Written by Micheal Crichton (who also wrote Jurassic Park, which is about Dinosaurs). One of the guest stars of Town Called Mercy used to play a character called John Crichton in Farscape.

I can't think of any Crichton connection with Asylum of the Daleks. As far as I know Crichton didn't write any films about mad pepperpots.

We finally cracked Moffat's next theme then:)
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    His novel Prey is all about nanobots!

Nice one SnoopyChicken.

Yes Lach - another one for the series 7 arc pile. :)
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I thought you were going to say Westworld. Love that film. Written by Micheal Crichton (who also wrote Jurassic Park, which is about Dinosaurs). One of the guest stars of Town Called Mercy used to play a character called John Crichton in Farscape.

I can't think of any Crichton connection with Asylum of the Daleks. As far as I know Crichton didn't write any films about mad pepperpots.

Ah but he did write The Terminal Man about human machine interfaces :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mercy had great coverage in this weeks Radio Times! The imagery looks very powerful indeed...glad DS uploaded them...AAH! so excited for this :D 4 more days to go!

Cannot believe we are halfway through series 7.1 already then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Webslark wrote: »
    Ah but he did write The Terminal Man about human machine interfaces :)

via Terminal...

Terminus.

*rubs bleary eyes and realises not Word Association thread*

Right, so Asylum was definitely Crichton's idea too. No doubt about it. Moffat's Crichtonisation agenda.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS' teasers

Addressing Soloman and Murray Gold's score (<- which is getting heaps of praise this episode).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've seen a preview of this episode, and it's my favourite of series 7 so far - and I've enjoyed the others. Real excitement and unpredictability, with a meaty moral problem for the Doctor. You can listen to my spoiler-free review on Impossible Podcasts, plus read some teasers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen a preview of this episode, and it's my favourite of series 7 so far - and I've enjoyed the others. Real excitement and unpredictability, with a meaty moral problem for the Doctor. You can listen to my spoiler-free review on Impossible Podcasts, plus read some teasers.

Haha, I had just finished listening to that not long ago. Glad to hear your thoughts, Caleb :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

Good clip, thanks! Though people surely can't say it isn't reminiscent of Terminator after that?
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like he's hunting them by their tattoos. Presumably this Jahler Hex (is that's his name) is the other bloke claiming to be the Doctor and he's the last one that the cyborg mentions. Also from the RT preview it looks like the egg agenda is back :eek:
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get why he is going "dark" this year. Last year he had a escape from the silence who still think he is "dead "and he got married. He shouldn't have any reason to be alone or miserable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He shouldn't have any reason to be alone or miserable.

The Doctor is quite possibly the loneliest and most miserable man in the Universe.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I just don't get why he is going "dark" this year. Last year he had a escape from the silence who still think he is "dead "and he got married. He shouldn't have any reason to be alone or miserable.

The Doctor's always had a dark element to his character, even in the Classic Series at times too.

Also, there seems to be a plot point to it as well as the trailers/clips for this episode seem to have Amy confronting his behaviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"That's what you said when you left your phone charger in HenryVIII's en-suite" :D And love the toothpick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Loved those clips thanks CD93. :D really excited for this episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't know whether it is so much about being miserable, at least not due to his circumstances. I think we have previously seen him go a little bit "off" when he travels alone too long. Or at least less forgiving and more harsh without human company. The first Doctor was a right git when we met him.

But I don't know what, if anything, is going to be happening or revealed this year.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, and anyway, I thought he spent every night with River, having adventures and such, so I don't know where the being alone comes from?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please excuse the unbridled enthusiasm: this looks awesome! No reservations - just fantastic!
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got the Christmas reference, what's the other one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the Christmas reference, what's the other one?

Dodgy light fitting :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another review (think it hasn't been posted - http://www.cultbox.co.uk/reviews/episodes/4761-doctor-who-a-town-called-mercy-spoiler-free-review

Rated 3/5 -
    Aesthetics aren't everything however and certainly not enough to keep the kids from getting fidgety. Against a dramatic backdrop there's a distinct lack of drama, and you may find it hard to keep your remote holstered. This isn't going to be anyone's favourite episode of Doctor Who by a long-shot and after two excellent episodes the underwhelming feeling that Mercy brings is exacerbated.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 1st clip is very good indeed. Great music, fine setting and funny jokes:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the cultbox review is the only 'average' one I have found. Could be wrong. But I'm still very optimistic. Every episode can't be running away from dinosaurs on a spaceship :)