Options

A Clear Out on the Cobbles...

Comments

• Options
    Dan4Dan4 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually come to think of it there is a lot of dead wood on the street!! :)
    I can't think of anyone that really shines. On EE you have icons like Kat, Carol, Stacey, Ronnie and Sharon (When the writers get her right) The only person that comes close is Tina in my opinion and she's soon to be off!! :o
    Nothing really happens on the Street anymore. There are so many characters that have been on the street for years that don't do anything!!

I'd axe:
    Chesney (Cute when he was little with Schmeichel but really what's the point?)
    Tyrone (Yawn, one story line in ten years shouldn't mean he should stay.)
    Sean (Shudder) :o
    Maria Yawn. (Hasn't had a decent story line since Liam died.)
    Lloyd's daughter (Can't even remember her name.)
    Kevin (Can't he just stay in Germany or wherever he is.)
    Gary&Izzy (Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
    Anna's foster daughter (Really like Anna though.)
    Sally's boyfriend ?

I'd keep:
    (Only just)
      Give
    Michelle something to do apart from just complaining.
      Lloyd, just because he gives Steve something to do.
        Kirk, only because he's funny alongside Beth.
          Dev because years of wooden acting is not yet enough!! ;-)
            Fiz Just because she is Fiz and I like her friendship with Carla.

I love:
            Eileen.
            Norris.
            Mary.
            Carla.

I'd like to see Adam return with Ken when he comes back from Canada.
            Also Sarah-Louise to return for a guest stint and to come face to face with Todd.

I would of loved to have seen Gloria stay. She had the potential to be a classic character. I really liked Stella too. Corrie doesn't always get it right...
          • Options
            ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
            Forum Member
            Is it just me or when u get to the 5 year mark on corrie u get a job for life , seriously how many long term character have the show actually axed in the 21st century I can only think of Ashley and curly
          • Options
            JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
            Forum Member
            For the chop:

Tracey and Rob - they get back together, their business is in trouble, they cook the books and they both go down for fraud.

Ken Barlow (if he comes back) - has a heart attack and snuffs it.

Jenna - realises she used to be an educated, skilled career woman and wonders what the hell she is doing wasting her life in a crummy back street cafe. Gets a job somewhere else and buggers off without much fanfare.

Tyrone and Fiz - Ty develops a gambling habit, loses a wedge and, under pressure, slaps the annoying Fiz because she is droning on at him in her baby voice. They decide to sell his share of the business to the returning Kevin and piss off somewhere else.

Kirk - goes missing. Eventually transpires he was lead astray by some rich old woman and now lives as her fella somewhere in deepest, darkest Wales.

Todd Grimshaw - his Mum realises he is a **** after he breaks up Maria and Marcus, sends him packing.

Marcus - goes back to London with Todd, both develop raging piles.
          • Options
            M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
            Forum Member
            DEV

Why is he still there?

Ken, Maria, Michelle, Izzy, should also get the heave ho
            also a new Amy would not be a bad thing, can she not follow in her mothers footsteps and go upstairs for four years to play her cassettes and come back down a changed woman.
          • Options
            Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
            Forum Member
            ✭✭✭
            Can I also add that given the recent move too a bigger set , I would move in a few new characters - known as the "Singletons" - five characters who will shake up Weatherfield. They are single, sexy, and twenty something.

India Jaraposa arrives too try and find work after failing her Uni degree course. She hits it off with Khalid, and He decides she is the one for him... weeks down the line and we learn she has a colourful past and that she was in prison after killing someone. As her secrets spill out will she let Khalid close to her?

Lucas Walker drives into the street in a flash motor, and catches the eye of Tracey Luv... but Deirde thinks he reminds her of someone.... He soon decides too buy a flat in Victoria Court and after a few weeks we learn He is the son of Billy Walker (Who will return too visit him, and we see they don't get on that well)..Ken is riled when he finds out who Lucas is, and can't resist having a go when Billy turns up at The Rovers and still seems too have the Walker charm...

Leila Croft is a hairdresser who arrives at Audreys after meeting David at a hairdressing show in Leeds. She is soon planning on opening a tanning salon with Kylie much to Audreys horror... Leila is loud, brash and has killer heels!!

Nathan Young is a doctor who is sent too work at the surgery and soon catches the eye of Todd, Gail tries too put him off , telling him about all his past issues. Nathan buys one of the houses on Maudsley street and introduces Gail too his disabled thirteen year old son, Harley. Nathan tries too tame Todd but realises He is getting in too deep, and can't see Harley hurt again as his ex got very close to them both and uped and left.

Scott Gregory is a police man and married too the job, He arrives too arrest a resident and ends up living next door to the Brittons. He soon is faced with turmoil after he shoots a suspect in a raid and has too deal with the fallout. Gary becomes mates with him, and they share stories of there past's. Scott takes Steph out on a date but things fall flat when He tells her he is a virgin. She soon lets slip too Katie and soon half the street knows.
          • Options
            vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            The Street is crap at the moment - I just turn it off.
          • Options
            Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
            Forum Member
            ✭✭✭
            vaslav37 wrote: »
            The Street is crap at the moment - I just turn it off.

best thing about tonights double bill was the new lad, Luke is it? Steph's brother...:D
          • Options
            Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
            Forum Member
            ✭✭✭✭
            Rick_Poppa wrote: »
            best thing about tonights double bill was the new lad, Luke is it? Steph's brother...:D

Can't remember him at all. What an impression he made lol!
          • Options
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            Granada need to sack Stuart Blackburn and his team of incompetent writers.

They need to bring somebody in who is not afraid to shake things up...there is far too much deadwood in Corrie at the moment.
          • Options
            rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
            Forum Member
            ✭✭✭
            Some of the stuff posted in here actually kinda makes me glad Stuart Blackburn's in charge at the moment, even if it's atrocious! :D

If I was to take over tomorrow, the things on my 'To Do' list would probably be...
            For me, the first thing I'd do is not axe anybody. Instead I'd do what I think I'd be expected to do and come up with character driven stories for the characters. Any already running storylines would be continued and played out, apart from those that were massively out of character and shouldn't have happened in the first place, in which case I'd find a way to end them in the most character driven way possible rather than brushing them under the rug. And give them consequences - if a character's been acting out of character, acknowledge it. Don't take the viewers for fools and rewrite their personality overnight and expect to get away with it. In regards to axing, if storylines introduced for characters weren't working six months down the line or so, and ideas were struggling to develop for them, that'd only be the time I'd consider axing a character. To me, if you can't come up with decent storylines for the characters and start off your tenure by wielding the axe before you've even given them a chance, you don't deserve the job.

I'd also put the kibosh on any returning or new characters to the street as well, again mainly at least for the first six months. To mind, there's not a single storyline running in the programme at the moment that would warrant a return from any past character and the only way I'd consider bringing anyone back would be if there was a practical and realistic reason for it, so even considering Karen McDonald or any of the Baldwins at the moment would be out of the question and potentially do more harm than good. I'd also choose not to introduce any new long-running characters for the time being as well as I'd want to concentrate on developing and trying to perfect the current lot before introducing newbies for the sake of it.

No doubt this will sound incredibly boring to some people, but to me if some thought was given long-term to a character's development instead of plot-driven guff then the Street would be in a far better place at the moment. Personally i think even an absolute stinker of a storyline can work as long as it's given to the right character and they're developed enough for you to buy into it. And I think it's lazy to sack off a character purely because they haven't had a decent storyline in years - it's your job to give them a decent one!
          • Options
            cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
            Forum Member
            ✭✭✭
            After last weeks episodes I think Lloyd could face the axe. Ive always seen hin as just Steves mate anyway but after the Peter stuff its clear Steve doesnt need Lloyd
          • Options
            Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
            Forum Member
            ✭✭✭
            Trouble with Corrie is that they keep bringing in new characters which is good but instread of axing the dead wood that are now totally exhausted they renew their contracts over and over again.

More stale than Devs bread are:

Dev himself - absolutely preposterous character that should have gone years ago. Now we are supposed to believe this middle aged porker runs a gym!

Rita sullivan - has been turned into a horrible old bag that clonks around the Kabin lording it when she is only an employee there now. Now she has been done for drunk driving, time to retire her.

Mary - I know some find this character amusing but she creeps me out and I feel has had her day and doesnt seem to fit in any longer.

Michelle Connor - how this shouty dreadful arm folder keeps getting her contract renewed over and ove again is beyond me. Should never have come back after the Kieran business. Holds back the Steve character and is just a shouty shrew.

Maria - wooden and pointless these days

Eileen - sour faced and bitter and exhausted.

Tracy - dreadful character played by a dreadful actres
          • Options
            CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            I'd get rid of loads!

I'd place Michelle with Rob, Michelle's character needs significant improvements.
            I would love to see Norris get it on with Rita or Mary.
            When Peter leaves (via prison obviously) I hope he gives his shares in underworld to Simon leaving Leanne in control of them.

My axing's would be:-
            Kevin - leave
            Maddie - leave
            Sophie - leave
            Tracey - death
            Jenna - leave
            Sean - death
            Todd - leave
            Dev - leave
            Maria - leave
            Fizz - leave
            Tyrone - leave
          • Options
            bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            Sean, Fiz, Faye, Maddeh, Sophie, Tim, Chesney and his girlfriend (dont remember her name), Tracy, Miss Hell, Katy, Gary.
          • Options
            sconescone Posts: 14,850
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            Sorry but if a fire ripped through the Windass house it would have to take the fishwife Anna and the devil child Faye with it, those are the rules :p
          • Options
            DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
            Forum Member
            Trouble with Corrie is that they keep bringing in new characters which is good but instread of axing the dead wood that are now totally exhausted they renew their contracts over and over again.
            That's a good point, Maria. They're stuck in a cycle. No-one leaves unless they choose to. Old characters become redundant, but get a free pass each and every year; new characters then become stale, until another batch of characters are brought in. Repeat and rinse.

The whole show needs revitalising and modernising in a way they are reluctant to do.

I think the 6 months cooling period is a good idea. It's not healthy to axe characters from the moment you take over. You may just be able to turn them around and revitalise them. Having said that, I would initially have a list that would contain all the characters I feel are on the bubble of being stale and redundant, who are dead wood, who need fixing. If nothing can be done with them during those 6 months, and if their storylines get weaker, or they no longer have a purpose, then I'd get rid of them.

On the list:
            Anna
            Owen
            Izzy
            Faye
            Kevin
            Maddie
            Tim
            Fiz
            Tyrone
            Chesney
            Sinead
            Sean
            Maria
            Julie
            Mary
            Michelle
            Dev
            Jenna

There are some characters who I think need major fixing, but still could be viable:
            Todd
            Gary
            Sophie
            Rita
            Deirdre
            Tracey
            Katy
          • Options
            Forum Member
            ✭✭

More stale than Devs bread are:

Dev himself - absolutely preposterous character that should have gone years ago. Now we are supposed to believe this middle aged porker runs a gym!

Rita sullivan - has been turned into a horrible old bag that clonks around the Kabin lording it when she is only an employee there now. Now she has been done for drunk driving, time to retire her.

Mary - I know some find this character amusing but she creeps me out and I feel has had her day and doesnt seem to fit in any longer.

Michelle Connor - how this shouty dreadful arm folder keeps getting her contract renewed over and ove again is beyond me. Should never have come back after the Kieran business. Holds back the Steve character and is just a shouty shrew.

Maria - wooden and pointless these days

Eileen - sour faced and bitter and exhausted.

Tracy - dreadful character played by a dreadful actres

Mary is brilliant.
          • Options
            2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
            Forum Member
            Mary is brilliant.

I agree, I love Mary I like Dev too he has had some great scenes in the last couple of years,he is capable of making me feel so sorry for him( his wifes murder) then he makes me giggle so much with his strange noises when he is happy :D

I like Eileen too, she should always be miserable and alone, its what she deserves after treating men the way she does.
          • Options
            avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            Some of the stuff posted in here actually kinda makes me glad Stuart Blackburn's in charge at the moment, even if it's atrocious! :D

If I was to take over tomorrow, the things on my 'To Do' list would probably be...
            For me, the first thing I'd do is not axe anybody. Instead I'd do what I think I'd be expected to do and come up with character driven stories for the characters. Any already running storylines would be continued and played out, apart from those that were massively out of character and shouldn't have happened in the first place, in which case I'd find a way to end them in the most character driven way possible rather than brushing them under the rug. And give them consequences - if a character's been acting out of character, acknowledge it. Don't take the viewers for fools and rewrite their personality overnight and expect to get away with it. In regards to axing, if storylines introduced for characters weren't working six months down the line or so, and ideas were struggling to develop for them, that'd only be the time I'd consider axing a character. To me, if you can't come up with decent storylines for the characters and start off your tenure by wielding the axe before you've even given them a chance, you don't deserve the job.

I'd also put the kibosh on any returning or new characters to the street as well, again mainly at least for the first six months. To mind, there's not a single storyline running in the programme at the moment that would warrant a return from any past character and the only way I'd consider bringing anyone back would be if there was a practical and realistic reason for it, so even considering Karen McDonald or any of the Baldwins at the moment would be out of the question and potentially do more harm than good. I'd also choose not to introduce any new long-running characters for the time being as well as I'd want to concentrate on developing and trying to perfect the current lot before introducing newbies for the sake of it.

No doubt this will sound incredibly boring to some people, but to me if some thought was given long-term to a character's development instead of plot-driven guff then the Street would be in a far better place at the moment. Personally i think even an absolute stinker of a storyline can work as long as it's given to the right character and they're developed enough for you to buy into it. And I think it's lazy to sack off a character purely because they haven't had a decent storyline in years - it's your job to give them a decent one!

Excellent post.:)
          • Options
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            If you were the EP of Corrie, what would you do?

The show needs freshening up in my opinion and has become a bit stale, the show still has some deadwood that needs to go.

My Plan if I was the EP.

I am not sure if Liz's return has been successful at the Rovers- I would keep her there but she needs another strong female to bounce off so I would axe Kym Lomas as Michelle and bring back Suranne Jones as Karen. Karen would rekindle her romance with ex husband Steve but Tracy Barlow who is Amy's (Steve's daughter) Mother will be far from happy, cue a new Karen/Tracy feud.

Audrey decides to sell the Saloon and when David fails to raise the money to buy it an old face returns to the Cobbles- Claudia Colby played by Rula Lenska and she is joined by her son Daniel.

Axe the deadwood-

Maria and Kirk decide to move to Cyprus.

A Fire rips through the Webster and Windass Household killing both Tim and Gary, Sally and Kevin reunite.

Dev sells up his business and his home and moves away with his two children

Khalid and his Father and Son move into Dev's old house.

A new GP who moves into Victoria Court and himself and Todd become an item.

Julie moves into the Grimshaw household after Eileen and Sean leave, Jason and Eva live there.

Roy and Mary will begin a slow burning romance but Roy soon realises that Hayley is irreplaceable and they agree just to be friends.

Jenna also leaves for a new life in Leeds.

just some ideas for starters...

What do people think?
          • Options
            attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            What do people think?

It seems like a good idea but to be honest soaps try anything to boost ratings from New Characters to Fires/Disasters etc. & sometimes it doesn't work. New Characters/Disasters are temporary fixes, once the sl is over or the family have settled down then it's back to how it was before. For a new family or any kind of disaster is played out there needs to be good consistent writing & a back story (eg as to why the family have moved there, eg witness protection, new life, up social status etc).
          • Options
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            Now that we have met Sharif & Yasmeen I can't imagine them living in Dev's!
          • Options
            sconescone Posts: 14,850
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            Someone mentioned taxpayers money, I thought this show was on ITV, it's not Eastenders. Does ITV play it's actors/actresses money out of the TV licence pot too?
          • Options
            GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
            Forum Member
            ✭✭✭
            I'd get rid of the Windass's/Armstrong's as I'm sick to death of them and their endless problems, along with Sean, Dev, Sophie, Maddie, Michelle and Mary, I could cope with the rest if those mentioned got the axe.

On the plus side both Jenna and Katy have been axed :)
          • Options
            Forum Member
            ✭✭
            GracieL wrote: »
            I'd get rid of the Windass's/Armstrong's as I'm sick to death of them and their endless problems, along with Sean, Dev, Sophie, Maddie, Michelle and Mary, I could cope with the rest if those mentioned got the axe.

On the plus side both Jenna and Katy have been axed :)

Mary should not be axed- she is fab..