A New Generation of Osman's - EastEnders

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,462
Forum Member
✭✭
EastEnders could bring in a new generation of Osman's now.

I don't think bringing back Ali or Sue would work but their son Ali must be in his late 20's now so bringing him in with a family could be good and it would also make the show ethnically more diverse- all the new characters this year have been White/British.

Ali could have a wife and a young child of his own now.

Comments

• Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders doesn't need diverse characters, it's a fictional TV soap not a documentary. They shouldn't bring in a character just becsause of their race (Dexter) they should bring them in because of their acting.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Eastenders doesn't need diverse characters, it's a fictional TV soap not a documentary. They shouldn't bring in a character just becsause of their race (Dexter) they should bring them in because of their acting.

I agree about Dexter but I like this idea.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been saying something along these lines for years. I mean, without the race thing, I just think it'd be fantastic to bring in a child character from the past all-grown up. I was thinking Ali Jr or even one of Mehmet's three (Mehmet and Guizin being forgotten gems of characters). There doesn't need to be some big hoo-haa about it, after all it's hardly a big return but rather giving a new character a familiar name and family ties.

Alternatively, we could have Sharmilla Kapoor join the group of young adults, being a friend of Johnny's at university. Arjun Kapoor maybe a new friend for Liam. I love this idea and it's never been done before to my knowledge, at least not in the British soaps.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not being funny, but I don't get why people constantly say 'eastenders needs to be more diverse' it's fine as it is, it has black characters and the masoods, so I don't get what the problem is? I think it should be on the character and acting aswell, I'm not being racist or anything by saying this, it's just my opinion, I enjoy characters in it now, despite their race, and I dislike characters, despite their race... Also, they are very diverse as the extras are also very diverse, they also play a lot of Asian music on the market too:)
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting too see a character connected to the past come back as a adult, as long as it's isn't about race.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Not being funny, but I don't get why people constantly say 'eastenders needs to be more diverse' it's fine as it is, it has black characters and the masoods, so I don't get what the problem is? I think it should be on the character and acting aswell, I'm not being racist or anything by saying this, it's just my opinion, I enjoy characters in it now, despite their race, and I dislike characters, despite their race... Also, they are very diverse as the extras are also very diverse, they also play a lot of Asian music on the market too:)

I disagree EastEnders is far too white considering it's meant to be set in one of the most ethnically diverse parts of the country.
  • SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Tosh isnt white and was introduced this year. Aleks isnt British and was introduced this year also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    Tosh isnt white and was introduced this year. Aleks isnt British and was introduced this year also.

They are the small minority.
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cindy is half Italian as well don't forget. EE has a decent range of diverse character races.

Hopefully Cindy's father will come in again at some point now that Mimi Keene is a full time regular cast member.
  • SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    They are the small minority.

Since 01/01/2014 weve had 9 characters introduced, Aleks and Tosh as ive explained arent both White and British, and we've had Donna who is Disabled.
    So you could say 1/3rd of the characters introduced are minorities in some way.
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since 01/01/2014 weve had 9 characters introduced, Aleks and Tosh as ive explained arent both White and British, and we've had Donna who is Disabled.
    So you could say 1/3rd of the characters introduced are minorities in some way.

Janet also returned as a regular character. At this moment the cast is probably the most diverse for several years.
  • R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    Eastenders has 4 black characters - Patrick, Denise, Kim, Dexter, 3 mixed race characters - Fatboy, Tosh, Cindy Jr (half-Italian), 2 disabled characters - Donna and Janet, 1 Latvian character - Aleks, 1 homosexual male - Johnny (2 when Ben Mitchell returns), 1 homosexual female - Tosh, 2 bisexual females - Tina and Sonia, 3 Muslim characters - Tamwar, Masood & Shabnam. think the show has quite a varied range of diversity to be honest. Yes, they are other races, disabilities, sexualities and other types of people that aren't on the show, but we can't have everybody.

Personally, I'd like to see some Chinese or Japanese characters in the show, a transgender character, a Romani-Gypsy family, a few characters aged between 25-35 and maybe a character who describes themselves as a bi-curious man.

Ultimately, some of the existing characters will have to leave before we have any more families or more characters arriving. For me, all the Masoods need to leave, also Jay and Abi and possibly a couple of others.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I disagree EastEnders is far too white considering it's meant to be set in one of the most ethnically diverse parts of the country.

isn't is set in a fictional place known as Walford? :p
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    I would like to see the old Arghee Bharjee premises bought by a Chinese, Turkish or even Thai family to run it as a restaurant/takeaway. It would be another setback to the Beale empire.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello Mr 'DTC should make EastEnders more ethnically diverse but axe Dexter and Kim'.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its defo time for a Chinese or just east Asian family in general.

Bringing in Ali Jr wouldn't be a bad thing though. Providing it was done in a way that didn't harm the legacy of Sue and Ali. Plus it would be good to find out what became of Sue after she was sectioned.
    Hello Mr 'DTC should make EastEnders more ethnically diverse but axe Dexter and Kim'.

Hehe that always makes me laugh too! :D
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Janet also returned as a regular character. At this moment the cast is probably the most diverse for several years.

I have to agree with this. Eastenders is the most diverse out of all the soaps aswell
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with this. Eastenders is the most diverse out of all the soaps aswell
    Sorcha :o I thought you left
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,220
    Forum Member

Yay you are back! Missed ya!
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Yay you are back! Missed ya!

:D:D Thanks Scrabbler!

It was good to have a little break from the madness :p
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,220
    Forum Member
    :D:D Thanks Scrabbler!

It was good to have a little break from the madness :p

It seems you brought the madness back with you, things have been really calm and then you return :D
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been saying something along these lines for years. I mean, without the race thing, I just think it'd be fantastic to bring in a child character from the past all-grown up.

It wasn't so great when Clare Bates returned as an adult.
  • I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    It wasn't so great when Clare Bates returned as an adult.

Clare Bates? Don't you mean Clare Devine?

That's who she was essentially. ;-)
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clare Bates? Don't you mean Clare Devine?

That's who she was essentially. ;-)

Very true ;-)
  • I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Very true ;-)

I'll never forget her Princess Leia seduction scenes. I had to avert my eyes!