Virtually forgotten American sitcoms of the 70s & 80s

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What are the American sitcoms of this period that you loved, but are never/ seldom shown anymore on TV?

Mine are-

Kate and Allie-1984-89

Rhoda- 1974-78

Taxi- 1979-83

Comments

• Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love watching ALF in the late 80's. I don't think it's been shown on TV here for a long time.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think virtually forgotton is stretching it for very famous sitcoms such as Taxi and ALF, also Kate and Allie.

Rhoda possibly fits the bill more.

Taxi was on a satellite channel a few years ago.

There are plenty of famous or popular sitcoms that aren't on anymore though.
    If they're virtually forgotton it's probably because they weren't very good.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are the American sitcoms of this period that you loved, but are never/ seldom shown anymore on TV?

Mine are-

Kate and Allie-1984-89

Rhoda- 1974-78

Taxi- 1979-83

I wouldn't call any of them forgotten, not even virtually.

Taxi is on CBS Drama, and there are always calls for 'Kate and Allie' to be shown again.

Rhoda is fondly remembered by those of use over 40.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Yes I'd say if they are virtually forgotten it is only because they were not very good.

Head of the Class and Herman's Head, are two that might come close.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Mork and Mindy springs to mind with the late Robin Williams.

Soap
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think virtually forgotton is stretching it for very famous sitcoms such as Taxi and ALF, also Kate and Allie.

Rhoda possibly fits the bill more.

Taxi was on a satellite channel a few years ago.

There are plenty of famous or popular sitcoms that aren't on anymore though.

haha! ok fair point. Virtually forgotten by broadcasters then!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it has been shown on TV here since Sky 1 showed it on weekday afternoons back in 1993. I'd say that would count as virtually forgotten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love watching ALF in the late 80's. I don't think it's been shown on TV here for a long time.

I loved ALF! Wasn't it on Saturday evenings?

How about Perfect Strangers? used to like that as a child, but it is never on, at least, not in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved ALF! Wasn't it on Saturday evenings?

Saturday or Sunday on ITV I think. Sky 1 also showed some episodes on weekday afternoons.
    Forum Member
    tso wrote: »
    Of course Mork and Mindy springs to mind with the late Robin Williams.

Soap
    I don't think it has been shown on TV here since Sky 1 showed it on weekday afternoons back in 1993. I'd say that would count as virtually forgotten.
    Yes but there's two definitions here.
    Are the sitcoms virtually forgotten or just not been on tv for a while?

I imagine Mork & Mindy, Taxi etc are remembered by millions even if they've not been on tv for a while. People might nip on to youtube or other means to check out episodes every now and then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alf was very popular with kids I remember, loads of merchandise.

How about 'Laverne and Shirley'? I don't htink that has been shown on British TV for at least 30 yrs!!
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roseanne 1988 - 1997 springs to mind. Couldn't stand her but John Goodman was good. Also purely for trivia, Sarah Gilbert (who played Darlene one of the daughters) was half sister to Melissa Gilbert of Little House on the Prairie fame.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one or two might be from the 90's

It's Gary Shandlings Show - This is the theme to Gary's show, the opening theme...

Sledgehammer - David Rasche as a cop who talked to his gun. "trust me I know what I'm doing"

Dream On - comedy with Brian Benben as a book editor called Martin Tupper who is devorced from his wife Wendie Mallick.. The series was created by the same people that created Friends

Mary Tyler Moore Show - Set in a newsroom. The series had the spin offs lou Grant and Rhoda

Nearly Departed - Eric Idle as a ghost. Very Similarl to the UK series called So Haunt Me

WKRP - Comedy set in a radio station.

Welcome Back Kotter - An earlier version of Head of The Class

Nurses - Set in an American Hospital.David Rasche again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »

It's Gary Shandlings Show - This is the theme to Gary's show, the opening theme...

Sledgehammer - David Rasche as a cop who talked to his gun. "trust me I know what I'm doing"

Dream On - comedy with Brian Benben as a book editor called Martin Tupper who is devorced from his wife Wendie Mallick.. The series was created by the same people that created Friends

Mary Tyler Moore Show - Set in a newsroom. The series had the spin offs lou Grant and Rhoda

Nearly Departed - Eric Idle as a ghost. Very Similarl to the UK series called So Haunt Me

Wasn't 'Welcome back Kotter' where John travolta had his first big break?
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Odd Couple
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Roseanne 1988 - 1997 springs to mind. Couldn't stand her but John Goodman was good. Also purely for trivia, Sarah Gilbert (who played Darlene one of the daughters) was half sister to Melissa Gilbert of Little House on the Prairie fame.

Hardly forgotten. It's pretty much recognised as one of the finest sitcoms of it's era. Certainly in it's middle few seasons, when it was outstanding. Fell off a cliff at the end, mind.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree about Roseanne. It's widely discussed till this day. The series finale still divides opinion among critics and fans.

Mary tyler moore is continually ranked as one of the greatest sitcoms of all time so hardly forgotten.

227 is very much forgotten. It starred Marla Gibbs who played Florence from The Jeffersons. It ran for five seasons and made a star out of Regina King and Jackee Harry. Never seems to be a show that is spoken about today.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dream On was a fantastic show, very underrated... I think it never really caught on because the premise was hard to explain ("a guy who spent his childhood stuck in front of the TV experiences everything that happens to him in terms of clips from old TV shows"), whereas it was actually just a very funny sitcom, and didn't really need the gimmick... John Landis produced it, and it was on cable in the US, hence lots of boobies and a fair amount of bad language... it ran for 6 seasons, but I think that Channel 4 only showed the first 3, and only the first two seasons have ever been available on DVD, even in the US, so it would be a great pickup for a Netflix-type service...
    Forum Member
    Any fans of Catherine Bell won't forget Dream On in a hurry.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A programme called Small Wonder about a girl who looks human but is really a robot.I seem to remember it being shown on STV (Scottish Television) in the late 80's maybe on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Out Of This World.A girl called Evie who speaks to her father who is an alien through a device called the cube.Once again i remember STV in the mornings showing this early 90's during the school summer holidays.
    Forum Member
    I used to watch Out of this World. Famous for Burt Reynolds being the voice of the father.

Another Burt Reynolds one was Evening Shade with Marilu Henner.

On a similar theme is Coach with Craig T. Nelson. Both having an American Football connection.
  • AmaleeAmalee Posts: 71
    Forum Member

Mine are-

Kate and Allie-1984-89

Rhoda- 1974-78

Taxi- 1979-83
    I used to love Kate and Allie, I forgot that programme ever existed. Another I always looked forward to was Moonlighting which ran from 1985 to 1989 :D
    Forum Member

I was just about to mention Nurses. I wonder how many people do actually remember that one.

Sledgehammer was on of my favourites. Used to watch it all the time when it was on Paramount.

Infact I think it closed the station in the very early hours.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney Miller?

K
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best of the west
    LOVED that show
    only six episodes