Corrie - Gail lost her money right?

HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When Michael mentioned Gail selling her house to David it seem to peak Gavin's interest, but am I right in thinking she lost it all to Lewis and Audrey helped David and Kylie or am I thinking of someone else?

Comments

• sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are right.....Gail lost the house to pay her debt over Lewis and Audrey raised enough money for David and Kylie to buy it..they have a mortgage....probably Gail hasn't told Michael the truth ?
  • AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunny day wrote: »
    You are right.....Gail lost the house to pay her debt over Lewis and Audrey raised enough money for David and Kylie to buy it..they have a mortgage....probably Gail hasn't told Michael the truth ?

Michael suggested he and Gail have not discussed that so I presume he just doesn't know the full facts.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,177
    Forum Member
    I missed some of tonight's Corrie but yes, that is correct. Gail took out a second mortgage to finance her new life in Italy with Lewis. When he stole all the money she didn't have enough money to make the repayments so needed to sell. Audrey was so angty that she refused to bail Gail out but was wiling to give David and Kylie some money so they could afford to buy it. So, Gail is their lodger with no savings.

Either they've forgotten about all of that or it is going to be a plot point when Gavin discovers that neither Gail or Michael have a pot to ++++ in re financial assets. All the money is elsewhere in the family.
  • dj-domdj-dom Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Lewis conned her out of forty grand, and she was forced to sell the house to pay off the mortgage she took out. The house was definitely valued at double that at least (can't remember the exact figure) so Gail actually has plenty of money in the bank - the proceeds from the sale less £40k.
    Forum Member
    dj-dom wrote: »
    Lewis conned her out of forty grand, and she was forced to sell the house to pay off the mortgage she took out. The house was definitely valued at double that at least (can't remember the exact figure) so Gail actually has plenty of money in the bank - the proceeds from the sale less £40k.

She might not. Was the first mortgage paid off in full? I doubt it as she hadn't been there 25 years when it happened. I think Brian's life insurance paid for the deposit, but she hasn't had any significant windfalls since then. In fact didn't she try and pay some of the people Richard ripped off back?

I thought she said she couldn't afford to live elsewhere or pay David and Kylie more rent after she became their lodger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didnt a mortgage b4 that, she almost lost the house through the Richard Hillman scam & Audrey sorted it out by buying it back for her.
    Forum Member
    ericos wrote: »
    She didnt a mortgage b4 that, she almost lost the house through the Richard Hillman scam & Audrey sorted it out by buying it back for her.

Did she pay if off in full or just make up any arrears?
    Forum Member
    Where has all of Audrey's money come from? I thought there was some difficulty with Alf's estate - he hadn't kept up to date with life insurance policies (something to do with him dying early on New Years Day and policies expiring on NEW years Eve) so whilst the house was paid for, there wasn't a nest egg as she'd assumed which meant she had to keep working at the salon for day to day expenses.

Please tell me i didn't imagine all of that!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she paid it off & iirc Alfs will was sorted out, it was some daft storyline about his insurance running out at midnight Dec 31st & nobody could say for sure if he had died before of after the stroke of 12 because he was just sat in chair sleeping (with the party going on around him:) )
    Forum Member
    ericos wrote: »
    I think she paid it off & iirc Alfs will was sorted out, it was some daft storyline about his insurance running out at midnight Dec 31st & nobody could say for sure if he had died before of after the stroke of 12 because he was just sat in chair sleeping (with the party going on around him:) )

Oh right okay, i couldn't remember the details. At least i didn't imagine it!

Also, thinking about it, who did Alma leave her money to? Was that Audrey?
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    When did Audrey 'buy' the saloon back from David ?
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    AuntieSoap wrote: »
    Michael suggested he and Gail have not discussed that so I presume he just doesn't know the full facts.

It certainly looks like the son s getting the impression they're a wealthy family, however wrong that impression may be
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    When did Audrey 'buy' the saloon back from David ?

The actual "gifting" process was never explained in detail in the first place, and I think she just "reversed" it.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think she lost it "all" but she took a loan out for Lewis who fleeced her so she had to sell the house to pay it back. I imagine she had something left?
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,132
    Forum Member
    AuntieSoap wrote: »
    It must be that because Gail definitely lost all the money in her bricks and mortar when she was involved with Lewis.
    By the way, at one time it was speculated that Lewis could return........ any news on that?
    It's ok saying that he robbed various female characters, but all the females on Corries were just blind to Lewis's antics and I am sure that in time he would be accepted by them again (and again).