Options

Dr Who to end after the thirteenth doctor

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    It would be a bit of an advantage in any kind of war, isn't it...

"Oh, you want to go to war with us do you, well our soldiers don't die, they just change bodies....ha HA!"

Now that you think about it...you have to wonder HOW these people lost the Time War! :p

It's cause they didn't have David Tennant back then OBVIOUSLY. ;)
    I think it's entirely possible, no, likely that Dr Who will end before it dies an agonising slow and painfull death(lets hope the creators have the good sense to let it be so!) They may already be gearing toward a spin off. Like 'Joey'. JENNY:THE DOCTORS DAUGHTER!
    Remember the days when we thought Friends would go on forever..sorry... remember the days when we were right effin terrified that Friends would go on forever? :-O
  • Options
    RobWolfRobWolf Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Someone very famous once said something to the effect that 'in order for story to have any meaning, it has to have an ending'. I don't remember the actual quote or who said it (help anyone?), but the 12 regenerations rule has been established. It should be followed; the Master coming back was not outside the bounds of possibility, but I think we NEED to see the Doctor die. I mean properly die. They should kill him off, leave the sshow to rest for a couple of years, and then find a clever way of bringing him back.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobWolf wrote: »
    Someone very famous once said something to the effect that 'in order for story to have any meaning, it has to have an ending'. I don't remember the actual quote or who said it (help anyone?), but the 12 regenerations rule has been established. It should be followed; the Master coming back was not outside the bounds of possibility, but I think we NEED to see the Doctor die. I mean properly die. They should kill him off, leave the sshow to rest for a couple of years, and then find a clever way of bringing him back.

What would be the point of such an ending if it isn't permanent? Bringing the Doctor back to life after a definite death scene would be a massive, massive cop-out. If handled by different writers - because the author(s) of the finale may well have moved on after a couple of years - it would seem like an insult to those who worked on the previous conclusion and those who invested their time watching it.

Even if it was handled well, it would still invite comparison with the tacky Dallas shower scene. Why the heck would you ever want to see the programme do this to itself? What "meaning" would it add?:confused:

The only other option would be a total reboot, which would reduce Doctor Who to level of all those Marvel/DC characters who are constantly being reset to "classic mode" whenever the fanboys don't like a major change. I really don't want to see a "new universe" created every time the writers want to clean out their own mess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    i think the consensus is all bets are off
  • Options
    FoonachaFoonacha Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the death of the Timelords in the Dr Who universe, their whole 13 regenerations rule most likely went the way of the Dinosaurs, along with the Eye Of Harmony. The old Multiverse no longer exists, so the rules have also changed to accomodate this.
    The Dr will probably be resigned to "True Death" at the end of his 13th incarnation-only to unexpectedly regenerate into a 14th...with the surprise to himself at this development being examined during the following seasons.
  • Options
    Connie BeachampConnie Beachamp Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    I have always wondered if the President of the Time Lords had given The Doctor the job of destroying Gallifrey, The Time Lords along with the Daleks if it looked as if The Daleks were going to succeed in taking over Gallifrey. Further from this she also gave The Doctor unlimited regenerations so that he could carry on protecting The Earth.

your not steven moffat are you:eek: very good take on the re-gen problem,
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    your not steven moffat are you:eek: very good take on the re-gen problem,

No I am not Steven Moffat. Just a 45 year old Sci-Fi fan with an overactive imagination. :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know when they first mentioned that the Doctor only has thirteen regenerations? Was it during Trial of a Time Lord? Interesting to think that nobody must have imagined that they would have to deal with the problem - another seven Doctors must have seemed like well over 25 years away!

I wonder if they ever envisioned back in 1966 that their rather clever little idea would cause such a rumpus fifty years later.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know when they first mentioned that the Doctor only has thirteen regenerations? Was it during Trial of a Time Lord? Interesting to think that nobody must have imagined that they would have to deal with the problem - another seven Doctors must have seemed like well over 25 years away!

I wonder if they ever envisioned back in 1966 that their rather clever little idea would cause such a rumpus fifty years later.

12 Regenerations, 13 incarnations and It was in "The Deadly Assassin" when it was first mentioned so they had 9 more Doctors to go through before having to deal with the problem.