An example of X Factor declining influence - Jahmene Douglas

2»

Comments

• priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never rated him, found him to be very screechy.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    wise-up wrote: »
    Thats not really shoving religion down our throats, he is just saying he has different morals, people who are not religious may feel the same. Also, he was obviously asked about it, its not like he showed up at reveal uninvited and stared preaching.

Ah an apologist. :rolleyes:

Twist it any way you want, people don't want his brand of cult mentioned at all, leave alone silly little comments where he thinks he is superior to right thinking people with sod all to back his nonsense up.

Wake up! Britain is moving away from such nonsense and that is why he has had to find a home in America's religious strongholds.
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the religious nutter in the USA will lap him up.

He is staying in his own cult.

That because people in the real world don't want religion forced down their throats.

Still religion in America is a wonderful way to make millions.
    Ah an apologist. :rolleyes:

Twist it any way you want, people don't want his brand of cult mentioned at all, leave alone silly little comments where he thinks he is superior to right thinking people with sod all to back his nonsense up.

Wake up! Britain is moving away from such nonsense and that is why he has had to find a home in America's religious strongholds.

From reading your posts, It seems it is not jahmene that you have a problem with but religion.I am not religious but I do not get why people have such a problem with people being religious. How does it affect you if someone else wants to believe in some invisible man in the sky if it helps them cope with life? It would be like getting wound up by children believing in santa or the tooth fairy and trying to get them to stop talking about it or stop santa being used as a christmas symbol. I think it is a good thing Jahmene has found something to believe him to help him deal with the horrible childhood he had. If he had not had his faith, he may have went off the rails and ended up in jail himself, which people would complain about as they would have had to pay taxes to contribute to jailing him. I know myself I would rather have a polite man who occasionally mentioned God than someone who cannot cope with his issues and took them out on others.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    wise-up wrote: »
    From reading your posts, It seems it is not jahmene that you have a problem with but religion.I am not religious but I do not get why people have such a problem with people being religious. How does it affect you if someone else wants to believe in some invisible man in the sky if it helps them cope with life? It would be like getting wound up by children believing in santa or the tooth fairy and trying to get them to stop talking about it or stop santa being used as a christmas symbol. I think it is a good thing Jahmene has found something to believe him to help him deal with the horrible childhood he had. If he had not had his faith, he may have went off the rails and ended up in jail himself, which people would complain about as they would have had to pay taxes to contribute to jailing him. I know myself I would rather have a polite man who occasionally mentioned God than someone who cannot cope with his issues and took them out on others.

Anyway back to the subject matter instead of him sticking his religion down people throats and off peddling his wears to the religiously afflicted of America.

Are you able to comment on that instead of blaming everyone else? :rolleyes:
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway back to the subject matter instead of him sticking his religion down people throats and off peddling his wears to the religiously afflicted of America.

Are you able to comment on that instead of blaming everyone else? :rolleyes:
    Don't understand what you mean by BIB but regarding the subject manner, I agree he has not done that well sales wise but I agree with others that he isn't a complete failure as he is making a living from music which is a better position than he was before. I disagree that his low sales proves xfactor has no influence anymore as he did not perform on the show when he released his music. If he performed and still did not get a boost then I would agree the show has lost its impact.
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are being a bit harsh on Jahmene. I don't think he shoved religion down people's throats at all

In terms of his music, he signed with RCA (the Easyjet/Ryanair of music labels). His budget would have been small. He released a covers album that would have cost a minimal amount to make. It got to number one, albeit with low sales, but at least he can say that he's had a number one album. He wouldn't have to sell much to break even anyway. He also had minimal airplay and in terms of albums he sold more in two weeks than Union J have managed in the same period, but they had support from Capital.

His gospel genre also doesn't sell well here, but it does in the US, where he's signed a record contract, so good luck to him. Plus his vocals have improved greatly from X Factor. He has much greater vocal control.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I'm not attempting to criticise Jahmene as I like him, but despite getting to number 1 his sales were extremely low - if he'd released last week, for example, he'd have struggled to make the top 5. Someone posted this list of debut album first week sales on another thread:

Shane Ward - 22,452 (debut at No 15)
    Joe McElderry - 39,405 (debut No 3)
    Matt Cardle - 70k (debut No 2)
    Rebecca Ferguson - 128k (debut at No3 )
    One Direction - 138k (debut at No2 )
    Marcus Collins - 24,343 (debut at No 7)
    Little Mix - 53k (debut at No 3 )
    Union J- 17,331 (debut at No 6)
    Jahmene Douglas - 18,904 (debut at No 1)

I think the Shayne Ward one is incorrect, and we now have James's to add to this of about 63,000, but the one most comparable is Union J: very similar sales to Jahmene but they only got to number 6 because they released in a much tougher week. And like Union J's album, Jahmene's then pretty much free-fell out of the top 20.

Releasing an album full of covers might have been an easy short-term option, but long-term it won't have earned him any respect as an emerging new talent. I also found the video to his first single cynical and exploitative, but maybe that's just me. I think he'll regret agreeing to that in the long term.

Lots of artists go to America to record. Sometimes it amounts to something and sometimes it doesn't. But I am pleased to hear he's co-writing, that's a step in the right direction. :)

Please don't take my criticism as a criticism of Jahmene. It's RCA I have the issue with. They do not have their signed artists' best interests at heart.

I think the first JLS album sold 229k in it's first week or thereabouts - they beat Robbie to the No 1 spot :D

Does anyone know Leona and Alexandra's first week sales?
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona 375k
    Alexandra 132k
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange thread ,
    He is doing well for himself . Debut number 1 album
    Currently recording his second album .
    He will end up in America as they are really excited about him over there

Err. Who in America is? His record label might be but he's an unknown quantity in America. Perhaps he should conquer here first before America.
  • plankenheimerplankenheimer Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Err. Who in America is? His record label might be but he's an unknown quantity in America. Perhaps he should conquer here first before America.

Everyone he has worked with so far at Rca inspiration .
    They have big hopes for him .

Why does he have to conquer uk 1st ?
    Surely you go to where you are appreciated most .
    Cher lloyd has
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone he has worked with so far at Rca inspiration .
    They have big hopes for him .

Why does he have to conquer uk 1st ?
    Surely you go to where you are appreciated most .
    Cher lloyd has

Cher Lloyd has not conquered America. She's had 1 hit single there. The album and singles have all bombed since then.
  • plankenheimerplankenheimer Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Cher Lloyd has not conquered America. She's had 1 hit single there. The album and singles have all bombed since then.

Ok bad example then .
    My point still stands though .
    You don't have to conquer uk to then conquer the states