Blowing the Fuse

2»

Comments

• ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't make any difference - the plug fuses are ONLY to 'protect' the mains lead - the units themselves are fused internally, they don't rely on the plug fuse.

But again, none of this has to do with the original problem - it couldn't cause it.
    Yep. It's just that the plug top fuses are the last fuse in line before the consumer unit (unless they are connected to mains extension sockets). So it makes you wonder where all that current is coming from?
  • pedro2000ukpedro2000uk Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has already been asked & answered..

@ Collin_1970

is another flat or house connected to the same sky dish?

is there a shared aerial system?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,502
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    Yep. It's just that the plug top fuses are the last fuse in line before the consumer unit (unless they are connected to mains extension sockets). So it makes you wonder where all that current is coming from?

That's the point - it's not going down the mains lead - he already mentioned that it still occurred with the Sky box unplugged from the mains. But for it to happen via the mains lead would require an extremely serious (and highly implausible!) 'fault' to occur in the Sky box - which could only really happen by deliberate sabotage (or perhaps a pretty direct lightning strike?).

To blow the fuse in this way requires a short between live and neutral, or live and earth (which is joined to neutral) - and there should be nothing 'live' anywhere connected, nor should anything normally be earthed (almost all AV gear is double-insulated, so no earth). There's no problem in providing an earth - and this could occur via one single item that is class I (three core mains lead), as some older TV's were.

But even if an item is earthed, then it still requires a live 'somewhere' :D

My 'guess' would be a three core item with an incorrectly wired mains plug, connecting the earth wire to the live pin making every thing connected to it live - this could also occur with an incorrectly wired mains socket (but it's less likely, and requires a three core item plugged in to it).
  • colin_1970colin_1970 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    An electrician called yesterday and he says that the house needs re wiring. He said the 15 amp fuse that is blowijng all the time he cannot repair. The landlord fair play has given him the go ahead to rewire and he will start the work next week. Thank You all for all your valkuable comments and advice
  • Hooded ClawHooded Claw Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good (and proper) outcome :)
    Forum Member
    Yes, good result - however, I'd still like to know what was causing the problem :D
  • pedro2000ukpedro2000uk Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, good result - however, I'd still like to know what was causing the problem :D

So would I

and what if it didn't cure it - :D

sounds like it needs doing so even if it didn't cure it, it's still a good outcome

it's going to get messy though
  • colin_1970colin_1970 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I will certainly answer your queries next week when the electrician returns. Im not all clued up with electrics but he put this tester on the fuse box and on some cables and he was getting 0.00 results which apparently means it was down to bare wires in places. I will ask him to explain properly next week. The electrician does not believe that the lnb alone would have blown that fuse. He said he couldnt replace that fuse so 1 of my rooms downstairs has no electric running into it this week but at least things are heading in the right direction
    Forum Member
    colin_1970 wrote: »
    The electrician does not believe that the lnb alone would have blown that fuse. He said he couldnt replace that fuse so 1 of my rooms downstairs has no electric running into it this week but at least things are heading in the right direction

He was quite right - if the wiring isn't safe he HAS to disconnect it.

As for the LNB, they aren't isolated - so it doesn't matter which output you use as they are all connected together (the earth side of them) - it's a single unit, not 8 different ones.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    None. Plug tops (lids) do not have fuses, they are in the plugs.
    Are you also known as westfield6 on the IET forums?

http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=34745