Will Sky ever stop issuing expensive viewing cards?

2»

Comments

• PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if the magnetic strip was removed from European cards and US ATM's/equipment can't use the chip how would you use an ATM in the US and/or pay for anything by card whilst there on holiday, for example? Or am I missing something?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    So if the magnetic strip was removed from European cards and US ATM's/equipment can't use the chip how would you use an ATM in the US and/or pay for anything by card whilst there on holiday, for example? Or am I missing something?

Simple solution and a lot safer - get and use a limited use prepaid card. Why should Europe and most of the rest of the world suffer "skimmers" because the US can't get its act together. China has already eliminated magnetic strips from cards and their use in ATMs.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    The only problem was UK banks decided to go with a cheaper option when they rolled out chip and pin cards because the data that is passed between the card and terminal isn't encrypted. A fact highlighted several years ago by a scam involving modified terminals that copied the data to an external device.

I understand that the banks have since issued cards that do not operate in that way.
    PhilH36 wrote: »

This is becoming less of a problem - the US is slowly and painfully moving into the 21st century. Their banks issue chip cards now, and retailers are being forced into upgrading through Visa and Mastercard dictating that they are liable for fraud that could have been prevented using the chip (in typically American fashion, some companies are still labouring under the idea that it's better and cheaper to risk fraud and pay out when it happens, than to upgrade)