Genesis of the Weeping Angels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
My God those things are scary. I feel they are at their strongest when they are not the main focus of the story like the Daleks in Genesis. They were scarier in this i felt because they were almost a sideshow in the whole fracas about Amy and Rory. And the different ways they were used: the cherubs, and most especially the smiling angel. That shot alone I can quite confidently say is the scariest thing i have ever seen in both classic and new who. I do feel they are used better when they focus on base instincts like in Blink and not thinking logically. Thats what made the angel holding River's wrist and the angel in the graveyard even scarier. Just my thoughts :cool:

Comments

• ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see a battle between Angels and Daleks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    They were scarier when they were kept simple. I remember watching Blink when I was 15 and being absoutely terrified of them. Still am now, a bit. The premise was so simple - blink and your dead.

Whilst The Time of Angels/Flesh of Stone and The Angels Take Manhattan are immensely enjoyable episodes, I just don't get the same scare factor off them anymore. The fleshing out of their backstory and giving them additional features just took some of that scare factor out for me, and whilst I still think their dangerous enemies, they just don't have the same impact as they did in Blink. But that's just my opinion, my girlfriend for instance still thinks they're terrifying even now.

I just hope Moffat doesn't go down a similar route with The Silents, as I genuinely think they're the best enemies the Doctor's faced in years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »

Dalek Caan sighs, "more pest control..."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were scarier when they were kept simple. I remember watching Blink when I was 15 and being absoutely terrified of them. Still am now, a bit. The premise was so simple - blink and your dead.

Whilst The Time of Angels/Flesh of Stone and The Angels Take Manhattan are immensely enjoyable episodes, I just don't get the same scare factor off them anymore. The fleshing out of their backstory and giving them additional features just took some of that scare factor out for me, and whilst I still think their dangerous enemies, they just don't have the same impact as they did in Blink. But that's just my opinion, my girlfriend for instance still thinks they're terrifying even now.

I just hope Moffat doesn't go down a similar route with The Silents, as I genuinely think they're the best enemies the Doctor's faced in years.

The style of the stories has been different though. Blink was about as close to full-on horror story as Who has come since it's return in 2005 whereas Time of Angels / Flesh and Stone was much more of an action film. Angels take Manhattan was, obviously, more of a film noir crime drama tale and I think moved the Angels back into their comfort zone when it comes to being genuinely scary villains. My wife certainly isn't looking forward to the Blu-ray surround sound on the cherubs in the cellar scenes :D

The Silents, on t'other hand, can be a bit more versatile as they can, well, fight as well as look bleedin' creepy. With Amy and Rory now gone :cry::cry::cry: it'll be interesting to see if Moffat takes the chance to give them another run out with the new companion as she wouldn't already know the rules. That said what I wouldn't give to see Neil Gaiman do a Silent story...

All that being said, I hope Moffat keeps on coming up with new enemies for the Doctor because, frankly, his track record is just superb. Angels, Silents, Dalek Human Zombies, Gas Mask Zombies, the Clockwork Robots, the Vashta Narada.... more please!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I agree with the earlier post.

We do forget how many great villains the Moff has come up with.

This was a return to form for the Angels.

My only wish is for him to remove the scenes from the previous outing where we, the audience, saw the Angels move. That was a mistake IMHO.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    kofo_ wrote: »
    My God those things are scary
    Scared? Who's scared? Geronimo! :p
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still more scared of the Vashta Nerada myself . . . .
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the earlier post.

We do forget how many great villains the Moff has come up with.

This was a return to form for the Angels.

My only wish is for him to remove the scenes from the previous outing where we, the audience, saw the Angels move. That was a mistake IMHO.

The only reason we saw the angels move like that is because Amy was walking as if she could see but she had her eyes closed. This confused the angels defence mechanism so they could only move as stone it wasn't their true movement which we know is fast and they are not stone. That's how i see iit anyway :D
  • Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only reason we saw the angels move like that is because Amy was walking as if she could see but she had her eyes closed. This confused the angels defence mechanism so they could only move as stone it wasn't their true movement which we know is fast and they are not stone. That's how i see iit anyway :D

My thought exactly.

Gary
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    ukgnome wrote: »

"MY VISION IS IMPAIRED .. I CANNOT SEE!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's another thing to consider with that particular scene, specifically the way the angels move. It's long been established that the viewer quantum locks the angels as well as the characters. Except, of course, that we're not viewing a continuous image when we're watching TV, we're seeing a series of still images. The angels were moving in the gaps between frames... :D