Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    If only time travel was real you could take a VCR back to 1963 and record stuff then zip to the present and make a ton of cash.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Scripts from The Savages have come to light, as well as some rare production photographs which will be published in Doctor Who Magazine.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    If only time travel was real you could take a VCR back to 1963 and record stuff then zip to the present and make a ton of cash.
    You would have a bit of a problem recording a 1963 VHF TV transmission on a VCR with only a UHF tuner in it, and TV sets didn't have video outputs in those days, although actually the VCR, although designed for 625 lines, would record the 405 line signal fine, as the frame rate on the two standards is the same!
    :)
    Actually the time travel bit would be the main problem!
    :D
    Forum Member
    Scripts from The Savages have come to light, as well as some rare production photographs which will be published in Doctor Who Magazine.

Wonder if these came from Morris help.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh! More on The Savages! I love The Savages. It pains me that it always comes really really low down on polls and surveys. The soundtrack CD is excellent and the chance to see more pics is very exciting.

Is there a report on the pics/scripts being discovered, anywhere? I haven't seen anything.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What would you have plugged a VCR into? Good luck connecting it to a 1960s TV :p
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    What would you have plugged a VCR into? Good luck connecting it to a 1960s TV :p

Take a modern flipping telly with you then. >:(

;-)
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Oooh! More on The Savages! I love The Savages. It pains me that it always comes really really low down on polls and surveys. The soundtrack CD is excellent and the chance to see more pics is very exciting.

Is there a report on the pics/scripts being discovered, anywhere? I haven't seen anything.

The Doctor Who missing episodes group on Facebook reported:
    Toby Hadoke has just posted the following interesting missing episode photo and script info: "Thanks to the very kind Kay Patrick I now have four rehearsal scripts for The Savages and two pictures of her from it which have never been published before. Obviously these will be shared as soon as possible via the fine folk at Doctor Who Magazine, once I've obtained Kay's permission (she just left me a message saying that they - which had been left in my other half's dressing room - were mine to keep, which I wasn't sure about!). I'm a lucky boy!"
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info! Kay Patrick must have ben clearing out her attic. She's great value: I had some correspondence to and fro with her a couple of years back.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »

A 1960s TV will accept a VCR (from the aerial/RF output on the back of the VCR) so long as it's one of those dual-standard 625-line and 405-line ones that were introduced in about 1963 ready for BBC2's launch in 64.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using time travel to restore lost culture may have some merit. Although much of the art lost in the bombing of Dresden, for example, would be higher up the list.

Expecting to make a "ton of cash" from lost episodes of Doctor Who is the most rubbish time travel money-making scheme ever. For a start, the BBC isn't able to pay you any more than nominal expenses for the return their own property. They own the content, regardless of whether it's stored on old reels of film or on some sort of recording medium you took back in time.

That's exactly why we have all these rumours and conspiracy theories about actual episode hunters and collectors (as opposed to made-up time travellers) demanding huge sums of money from the BBC and not getting anywhere.
  • OnemilescarfOnemilescarf Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    be more pacific - SSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!! You are giving them ideas!!!!!
  • pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Using time travel to restore lost culture may have some merit. Although much of the art lost in the bombing of Dresden, for example, would be higher up the list.
    If that person had been successful we would already have found out about it.
  • Jedi_KnightJedi_Knight Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a TV programme called The Cosmos: A Beginners Guide. In one of the episodes, Adam said that the TV signals of the 60's were somehow beamed into space.

This could be wrong, it's been a long time since I've seen the episode.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    There was a TV programme called The Cosmos: A Beginners Guide. In one of the episodes, Adam said that the TV signals of the 60's were somehow beamed into space.

This could be wrong, it's been a long time since I've seen the episode.

Yes, that's right. Somewhere out there at over 45 light years are all the missing episodes and other broadcasts. As illustrated in the opening to the film Contact - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwhQB3TKXA

If we ever invent warp drive we'll be able to go out there & rerecord them. Or some friendly aliens might bring/retransmit them back to us.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    The biggest hurdle of course is the invention of an FTL drive, but the signal to noise ratio at that distance or greater would be problem too! It'd be a very weak signal.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this proof time travel will never be possible? In the far off future if time travel was possible I would go back in time to record 60s doctor who and drop the tapes off in 2016 on my way back.
    Forum Member
    Rumour has it we might get Power of the Daleks this year.

I think its supposed to be around the time it originally aired.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this really a rumour? If so, from where?

It'd be lovely if this was to happen, but I've heard nothing and seen no rumours, but hey, I'll join you in wishing that it might happen - if we all wish hard enough perhaps it'll come true!
  • Sam_Gee1Sam_Gee1 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you serious?? That is the one story i want found.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loose cannon are supposed to be working on a new better version of power of the daleks but no idea when it will be released. Maybe it is on hold as there has been rumours that it has been found for quite a while now.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Is this really a rumour? If so, from where?

The fiftieth anniversary of the original Power of the Daleks broadcast is apparently the next notable entry on the list of dates when missing episodes are likely to appear out of thin air.

Except they won't.

It's just the usual stirrers trying to get some attention, same as ever.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fiftieth anniversary of the original Power of the Daleks broadcast is apparently the next notable entry on the list of dates when missing episodes are likely to appear out of thin air.

Except they won't.

It's just the usual stirrers trying to get some attention, same as ever.

Yeah, seems like a random 50th thing with no real basis in reality, sadly.

Having recently seen the recons for this and a few other stories, it's close to the top of me wish list. Probably top actually! The way Troughton settles into the role over the episodes is a joy and it's a blinking marvellous story....
  • pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Is this proof time travel will never be possible? In the far off future if time travel was possible I would go back in time to record 60s doctor who and drop the tapes off in 2016 on my way back.
    We would already know if you succeeded. We wouldn't currently have missing episodes.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you could travel back in time you could nick the original mastertapes.