Doctor Who Spoilers & Information (Part 3)

Comments

• ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filming starts in July, apparently.

Perhaps they were going to film earlier, but had to make allowances for Pearl Mackie. Guess it will be airing in the late Spring next year.

I wonder what Peter Capaldi has been doing with all this time off?
  • OnemilescarfOnemilescarf Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    *crickets*
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat is writing the first episode and the final three.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,311
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Moffat is writing the first episode and the final three.
    Hopefully that means a lot of fresh new writers in between.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully that means a lot of fresh new writers in between.

You mean like the highly anticipated sequel to Mark Gatiss' magnum opus, Sleep No More?
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    You mean like the highly anticipated sequel to Mark Gatiss' magnum opus, Sleep No More?

The lowest AI of season 9 (although only slightly below Heaven Sent). So hopefully we won't be revisiting that one!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? Do you not rate Heaven Sent as much as some of us, Mullet? ;-)
    Forum Member
    What? Do you not rate Heaven Sent as much as some of us, Mullet? ;-)

**awkward** :)
  • Paul_MountPaul_Mount Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Moffat dismisses pearl 'from the 80's' rumours and confirms that she is in fact from tthe present day (sigh, yet again).

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/steven-moffat-reveals-pearl-mackie-to-debut-in-2017-her-name-and-when-s-she-s-from/

One thing that leaves me feeling dubious about pearl in the article is this part where Moffat says:

“Bill is someone who asks the questions that nobody has asked for 53 years.

… irreverence and cheek to ask all the questions you’re not supposed to ask on Doctor Who. ‘How different is it having two hearts? Is one a back-up? Do you have very, very high blood pressure?’”

Because that, to me, just makes her sound like yet another smarmy Moffat female who talks in soundbites and quips.

Seriously, at this stage of the game, do you really expect him to reinvent his own wheel? The man can't write any other way. Hey, Moffat, there's a reason no-one has asked those questions in fifty-three years - they're stupid, irrelevent questions. But I supposed they'll fill up a few pages of script to avoid you actually coming up with any decent stories. The sooner this one-trick pony clown is off the show the better although I fear the damage to Dr Who's long-term future has been done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    **awkward** :)

Ha. Nah...it's not. Whatever floats yer boat. Or sinks it. Or leaves it run aground. Or dashed on the rocks. Or floating aimlessly miles away from dry la...I have no idea what I'm going on about.
  • kjwillykjwilly Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Paul_Mount wrote: »
    Seriously, at this stage of the game, do you really expect him to reinvent his own wheel? The man can't write any other way. .

There are many complaints that could be put against Moff, but sticking to the same thing is NOT one of them.

Like them as episodes or not - Heaven Sent, as one example, is very different from his other stories in the last series. Last series he tried 2 parters, previously stand alone, etc. further back Blink is like no other Who story. Fine if you don't like him but don't raise the tired old "all the same" myth
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjwilly wrote: »
    There are many complaints that could be put against Moff, but sticking to the same thing is NOT one of them.

Like them as episodes or not - Heaven Sent, as one example, is very different from his other stories in the last series. Last series he tried 2 parters, previously stand alone, etc. further back Blink is like no other Who story. Fine if you don't like him but don't raise the tired old "all the same" myth

I agree, I do enjoy Moffat's ability to change things up the way he can instead of getting too formulaic and repetitive.

I've never understood the complaints about Moffat's female characters all being the same. Sure, they have similarities... I wouldn't expect any different. RTD's characters are all flirtatious and bouncy, Joss Whedon's are all snappy and sarcastic, George R.R. Martin's are all gloomy but authorative. When you set a tone for what you're writing, your characters do tend to fall under that tone and thus share certain traits; Moffat is no different as far as I'm aware.

Clara was more intelligent and outward with her emotions, but impulsive and reckless. Amy was more reserved and distrusting, but also more optimistic and still a child at heart. River was more commanding and, much like the Doctor, often off in her own world, rarely speaking out so much about how she was feeling and what she struggled with, but masking herself underneath a clownish persona.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Gomez apparently confirmed she is in the new season at a convention over the weekend.
    Forum Member
    kjwilly wrote: »

I agree with you on this point. I think Moffat has changed direction and style a number of times over his five seasons.

I think, to be honest, that this is not always been about him making a positive choice to mix things up but more as a response to critical feedback.

The 'too complicated' complaints about season 6 led to a much simpler 'story of the week' format for season 7. I think the changes to 12th Doctor's persona by season 9 was a response to audience feedback on how he behaved in season 8. The same, I think, about the many changes to Clara's character too (and dropping all mention of the 'Impossible Girl' stuff). .

I would be very surprised of we got a repeat of the style from season 9 in season 10. I'm not expecting any more 'Heaven Sent' type episodes because I don't think the audience more generally responded to it in a positive way (second lowest AI of season 9).

From the Christmas special with River and the short mini-episode with Bill, I'm expecting something lighter, more fun and much warmer too. I think continuing with what we had last year would just drive away even more viewers. And I do think Moffat is aware of that.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Michelle Gomez apparently confirmed she is in the new season at a convention over the weekend.

Makes sense for Missy to return I think.
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Makes sense for Missy to return I think.

I love Missy.

Best. Master. Ever. :)
  • OnemilescarfOnemilescarf Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I do like the chummy, boy's club vibe that Delgado and Pertwee give off.

Peter Pratt : Mehhh.

Anthony Ainley: Very Roger Moore to Delgado's Sean Connery. Only his personality saved it from complete face-palm.

John Simm: Nahhh.

I really regret that we only got 5 minutes of Derek Jacobi as the Master.

Between Moffat and Michelle, we really do have little taste of what it would be like to be a psychopath who was hundreds of years old, and to suddenly find that your best school chum was slumming it with aliens who should still be in diapers. Bravo!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the chummy, boy's club vibe that Delgado and Pertwee give off.

Peter Pratt : Mehhh.

Anthony Ainley: Very Roger Moore to Delgado's Sean Connery. Only his personality saved it from complete face-palm.

John Simm: Nahhh.

I really regret that we only got 5 minutes of Derek Jacobi as the Master.

Between Moffat and Michelle, we really do have little taste of what it would be like to be a psychopath who was hundreds of years old, and to suddenly find that your best school chum was slumming it with aliens who should still be in diapers. Bravo!

That was criminal, that was. I found Jacobi far more sinister and intimidating than John Simm's campy and over-the-top Joker impersonation.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    That was criminal, that was. I found Jacobi far more sinister and intimidating than John Simm's campy and over-the-top Joker impersonation.

Given the time hopping nature of doctor who, theres no reason Jacobi couldnt appear again as the master from a point before he used the chameleon arch, in fact it could be capaldi's Doctor that wiped the masters memory in the first place and left him at the end of the universe for tennants version to find, Missy may even give him a hand.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Given the time hopping nature of doctor who, theres no reason Jacobi couldnt appear again as the master from a point before he used the chameleon arch, in fact it could be capaldi's Doctor that wiped the masters memory in the first place and left him at the end of the universe for tennants version to find, Missy may even give him a hand.:D

That would be great, I imagine Jacobi's Master would play brilliantly against Capaldi's Doctor.

Although I'm still holding out for Charles Dance or David Suchet to play him too.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be fascinating to see a pre-Delgado version of the Master.

There are twelve Masters before his incarnation, one we saw as a child and eleven that we've never seen at all.

Who's to say that Missy was the first female incarnation of the Master? What was the character doing prior to his thirteenth life?

I know some people think of the Monk and the War Chief as earlier versions of the character, but I personally don't.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Given the time hopping nature of doctor who, theres no reason Jacobi couldnt appear again as the master from a point before he used the chameleon arch

Yes there is. He was under the influence of the Chameleon Arch from being a child right through to the end of that regeneration.

Unless they were false memories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is. He was under the influence of the Chameleon Arch from being a child right through to the end of that regeneration.

Unless they were false memories.

But if he were to break free of the influence of the Chameleon Arch, only to be put under it again, he wouldn't even remember it ever happening just like how he didn't remember his prior life as the Master, would he? I think, I'm not too quick on the RTD lore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of lines could do it. Maybe the Timelords used his original form for some reason to 'create' Yana and the first incarnation of The Master looked like Derek Jacobi! Can't see it happening, but it's so great that we had him in the show anyway.

Interesting to see in the latest DWM that the Gattis/Roberts/Hickman 'pitch' for new Who in the early noughties had a certain Sir Derek as their 'template' for The Doctor. Not a bad choice, that!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat confirming, that, in some alternative universe, the Marquis De Carabas would have made a fine 11th Doctor.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/06/02/moffat-black-doctor-was-considered-for-doctor-who/