9150T timeshift issues.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
Forum Member
I've done some searching, but forgive me if I've not searched carefully enough. I've seen buffer issues with all versions of the Humax but none quite like this one

(2nd Humax - first developed a hardware fault at 2 years 1 month old :-( )

Sometimes when we got to use the buffer to pause or rewind what we are currently watching (maybe to record the buffer, other times just to rewatch something due to a distraction) there is a chunk missing between the last moment we watched and around half an hour back. I find this difficult to reproduce at will. It seems like we need to have a scheduled recording start sometime after the current channel has been selected.

Needless to say the HDD is about 80% full, so a re-format is a bit of a radical option, particularly if it isn't going to fix the issue, but my reading of this forum is that buffer issues are normally fixed by this.

If a reformat is the only hope, other than sending the box back and losing all the programs anyway, then as a supplementary question - (has downloading the TS files to a laptop got any more reliable/faster? I've still got some software for burning DVDs from Humax files.) Strike that, I've just remembered the 9150 doesn't have a USB socket, so I guess the only answer is to dub to the DVD recorder?

Any thoughts very welcome :)

Comments

• nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Depends if you're willing/competent to open the 9150 and take its HDD and connect to a PC.
    The PC will require a SATA interface. Either onboard, or via a USB/SATA adapter.
    There are utilities written (for the PVR9200 HDD but apparently suitable for the 9150/9300 too) to transfer recorded programmes to the PC, and to repair disk errors. One of the features is a repair of the timeslip buffer area (IIRC this requires that the reserved 8GB/5% of HDD space be free).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Thanks

I'd be happy to have a go at that if it didn't invalidate the warranty, but I'm guessing there are seals to break. I did so after my 9200 died, and put a new hdd in, but it didn't solve the problem. It's still got over a year to run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    For the record, it turned out there was little on the disk that needed to be kept.

So if anyone experences the same buffer issue, reformating the hard disk solves the problem :)