Options

Downloading the new software

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
Forum Member
Help, I'm a pretty ok computer guy but I can't make any sense of the Humax downloading instructions copied below. The download tool ( _ WDN40AK+) is only about 800k and what prog does it run on?? Where does the .zip come in? How do you execute it? Any info welcomed!!!

S/W downloading
WDN4OAK+.zip
Channel editing
Winzip http://www.winzip.com
Others
Download Instruction
Software Update from PC

You can connect your product to the PC directly and update your software by transferring the new software from the PC. Follow these steps to download new software from PC to this product.

1. Download the new software file equivalent for this product model from our website.

Download">(Support>Download)
2. Download and install the download tool _ WDN40AK+

3. Connect your PC to this product with an RS-232C serial cable.
4. Execute the installed download tool and follow the instruction provided.
5. Power On/Off to start operating.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digiman100 wrote: »
    Help, I'm a pretty ok computer guy but I can't make any sense of the Humax downloading instructions copied below. The download tool ( _ WDN40AK+) is only about 800k and what prog does it run on?? Where does the .zip come in? How do you execute it? Any info welcomed!!!

S/W downloading
    WDN4OAK+.zip
    Channel editing
    Winzip http://www.winzip.com
    Others
    Download Instruction
    Software Update from PC

You can connect your product to the PC directly and update your software by transferring the new software from the PC. Follow these steps to download new software from PC to this product.

1. Download the new software file equivalent for this product model from our website.

Download">(Support>Download)
    2. Download and install the download tool _ WDN40AK+

3. Connect your PC to this product with an RS-232C serial cable.
    4. Execute the installed download tool and follow the instruction provided.
    5. Power On/Off to start operating.

The zip is a compressed file containg all the files you need. FRom XP on open the zip file using Explore and copy all the files to a normal folder. One of the files extracted will be an executable .exe file
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiman100 wrote: »
    Help, I'm a pretty ok computer guy but I can't make any sense of the Humax downloading instructions copied below.
    You might want to try my replacement for wdn4oak, flash9200 which is designed to be easier to use see http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might want to try my replacement for wdn4oak, flash9200 which is designed to be easier to use see http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.html

I can vouch for how much better this program is to use over wdn40ak+ as I used it today to update a 9150 for a friend!

He looked a little concerned when the PC said that it was transferring to a 9200 but everything worked just fine!

I also re-programed my 9200 with .21 using flash9200 the other day to see if that would alleviate any of the unresponsiveness but it was just the same after!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a disaster for me when I've just tried it. I went to Maplin Electronics to buy a USB to RS232 adaptor and a null modem cable. The guy in the shop asked what I was trying to do, so I explained, and he said I wouldn't need the null modem cable, and instead I should get a small gender changer plug to go into the end of the adaptor (basically a small lump of metal with a female RS232 plug on each side) as this would do just as well, would be cheaper, and he said it was what everyone else doing the same as me went for. So I paid my £17 for the two bits, brought them home, and connected everything together... and the upgrade application couldn't see the Humax 9300. Fantastic. So I've now got to go out again to buy a null modem cable and hope that this works. Woohoo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nasalhair wrote: »
    Bit of a disaster for me when I've just tried it. I went to Maplin Electronics to buy a USB to RS232 adaptor and a null modem cable. The guy in the shop asked what I was trying to do, so I explained, and he said I wouldn't need the null modem cable, and instead I should get a small gender changer plug to go into the end of the adaptor (basically a small lump of metal with a female RS232 plug on each side) as this would do just as well, would be cheaper, and he said it was what everyone else doing the same as me went for. So I paid my £17 for the two bits, brought them home, and connected everything together... and the upgrade application couldn't see the Humax 9300. Fantastic. So I've now got to go out again to buy a null modem cable and hope that this works. Woohoo.

The guy in the shop evidently does NOT know what he is talking about!;)

A gender changer does not do the same job as a NULL modem cable as the connections are not straight through.

I would promptly take the gender changer back and ask for a refund as you were mis sold it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Can I upgrade my PVR using a Mac?
    Terry.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy in the shop evidently does NOT know what he is talking about!;)

A gender changer does not do the same job as a NULL modem cable as the connections are not straight through.

I would promptly take the gender changer back and ask for a refund as you were mis sold it!
    Quite right.

I have a Null Modem plug in the same form factor as the gender changers Maplin sell. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Maplin sell those plugs so no chance of a straight swap.

You can however get on from CPC for example...

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/ab-9803/9-way-null-modem-adaptor-db9pm/dp/CS12763

That is what you should have been given. Though if you never ever need to use the serial cable in straight through mode it would be easier to use a null modem cable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Get yourself 2 nine way female D-types from Maplin and wire it up with 3 lengths of cable. See Humax webite for 9200T and select 'download instructions'. It gives you connections there.