Oasis vs The Beatles vs Michael Jackson vs Elvis

Comments

• VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Beatles
    All the superlatives that have ever been heaped upon this Liverpool combo are imho thoroughly deserved, although I don't like the way some music critics dismiss their early recordings as bubblegum pop. Yes, I suppose some of the early stuff was bubblegum pop, but it was superior bubblegum pop.

2. Elvis Presley
    His fifties stuff is for me some of the greatest music ever made. What he recorded later is anything but.

3. Oasis
    Like their first two albums. Yes, the Beatles were obviously a big influence, but calling them a Beatles tribute band is I think a little unfair. Oasis were/are a very good band, but not a great one.

4. Er, sorry, Michael who?
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of any of them but, if I have to choose, it would be The Beatles.

Never got the appeal of Elvis and wonder if you had to be there really.

Never, ever got the Jackon hype and i was there for that. He had 2 decent albums and that was it imo. The Jackons late 70's music was far superior to his 80's stuff for me and he stuck in the 80's for the rest of his career and didn't move on.

Oasis - decent sing along band but hardly original
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In terms of popularity in the UK, you would have to include Cliff Richard rather than Oasis.....I kid you not;)
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Including Oasis among the greats ? It's like asking which of these has historically been the best football team..Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United..or Accrington Stanley ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for "WTF are Oasis doing there????" :)

Hard to choose between The Beatles and Elvis, love them both but I'm more likely to listen to The Beatles as a personal preference so they'd have to be first on that reason alone.

As for MJ, never liked him or his music, but he was certainly an entertainer and hugely famous for decades around the world (even MJ outclasses Oasis!)

My list then would have to be

The Beatles
    Elvis
    MJ
    and a few hundred or thousand places down - Oasis
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sassernach wrote: »
    It is unfair to compare these as they were from different eras.
    The Beatles help set the path for Oasis and bands like them.
    Elvis probably would not have been so big but for Jerry lee Lewis marrying his teenage cousin.
    Michael Jackson again another type of music. As they were all famous and their music is still played I cannot see that we can say any are lacking.

I have my own favourite musicians but I cannot pull down one artist at the cost of another. We should appreciate the artists and their talents.

:)

While agreeing with your conclusion, I have to take issue about your Elvis claim. The Jerry Lee Lewis scandal happened in May 1958. By that time Elvis had been the biggest act in the world for over 2 years.

I think we mostly agree that Oasis are heavily derived from The Beatles and would rate below them. Elvis & Michael Jackson took their inspiration mainly from Rhythm & Blues acts but both these acts made what was at the time a mainly black form of music acceptable to a wider audience.

I'd have to go with:

Elvis
    The Beatles
    Michael Jackson
    Oasis
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Personal preference:
    1st. The Beatles
    Joint 4th. Michael Jackson, Elvis, Oasis

Most influential:
    Joint 1st. Elvis/Beatles
    3rd. Michael Jackson
    Distant 4th. Oasis

Overall importance and general impact to the music industry:
    1st. The Beatles
    2nd. Elvis
    3rd. Michael Jackson
    Distant 4th. Oasis
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    look

The Beatles
    Elvis

seminal influences in music

maybe you can add the Beach Boys, and maybe you need a R&B man also - not sure who - some say Chuck Berry, although he wasnt as prolific hitwise.

Oasis and MJ don't fit this.

shhh youll get all the rabid mj fans correcting you and telling you how mj was pop music! :D
    The argument is very daft, you act like the beatles had NO inspirations at all... like they created all the music in the world as a pedestal to ALL other groups.

the beatles certainly did have influences and they were very open about that... but they did popularise the 'pop group' format which every other pop/rock group have copied ever since.
    mbos wrote: »
    The Beatles are over-rated. But they influenced music so much more than anyone has or ever will.

eh?.... thats a huge contradiction there buddy!
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Not a fan of any of them but, if I have to choose, it would be The Beatles.

Never got the appeal of Elvis and wonder if you had to be there really.

Never, ever got the Jackon hype and i was there for that. He had 2 decent albums and that was it imo. The Jackons late 70's music was far superior to his 80's stuff for me and he stuck in the 80's for the rest of his career and didn't move on.

Oasis - decent sing along band but hardly original

i dont like elvis on a personal level, but i think his early work was pretty groundbreaking, and thats where his best stuff is and why he became so big.
    Most influential:
    Joint 1st. Elvis/Beatles
    3rd. Michael Jackson
    Distant 4th. Oasis

Overall importance and general impact to the music industry:
    1st. The Beatles
    2nd. Elvis
    3rd. Michael Jackson
    Distant 4th. Oasis

i have to agree with this.... :)
  • saxman25osaxman25o Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who gets most airplay on radio these days? and who ,that has written thier own songs ,might still be heard in 40 years from now ?
    I would guess THE BEATLES :D
  • hullaballoohullaballoo Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    MJ and no one will ever change my mind. The others don't even compare. Although I do like The Beatles.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think the odd one out on the list is Elvis though as he was a performer and not a song-writer. To me this makes it difficult to compare him to the others, like comparing Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Pavarotti.
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beatles :D
    No one is in the same league :D
    Elvis is next my late mother loved him.

I do not care for Oasis or Jackson personally.
  • masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    Elvis didn't write a single song and ripped his music and style from black musicians.
    And you can't compare bands to solo musicians
    Forum Member
    Vabosity wrote: »
    1. The Beatles
    All the superlatives that have ever been heaped upon this Liverpool combo are imho thoroughly deserved, although I don't like the way some music critics dismiss their early recordings as bubblegum pop. Yes, I suppose some of the early stuff was bubblegum pop, but it was superior bubblegum pop.

2. Elvis Presley
    His fifties stuff is for me some of the greatest music ever made. What he recorded later is anything but.

3. Oasis
    Like their first two albums. Yes, the Beatles were obviously a big influence, but calling them a Beatles tribute band is I think a little unfair. Oasis were/are a very good band, but not a great one.

4. Er, sorry, Michael who?

You can tell this person is white
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    masterquan wrote: »
    You can tell this person is white

Yes, I am white, but then so are the overwhelming majority of forum members. So my colour means that I do not appreciate black music? What nonsense! I love lots of black artists, mainly vintage ones like Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Big Joe Turner, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Muddy Waters, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Otis Redding and tons of others from the genres of blues, jazz, soul, gospel and rhythm 'n' blues. Jacko imho was not fit to lick those other artists' boots, and Elvis's early covers of black material was imho usually better than the original versions.
    Forum Member
    Vabosity wrote: »
    Yes, I am white, but then so are the overwhelming majority of forum members. So my colour means that I do not appreciate black music? What nonsense! I love lots of black artists, mainly vintage ones like Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Muddy Waters, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Otis Redding and tons of others from the genres of blues, jazz, soul, gospel and rhythm 'n' blues.. Jacko inho was not fit to lick those other artists boots.

Urgh. I'm not bothered. Obviously you're wrong and ignorant, I made an observation. People don't like the same things and have bad biased opinions.
    Some of those musicians you mention were friends, big influences worked with and greatly respected him. Their stlye and recognition Elvis pinched from
    It's always funny when someone insults michael jackson's artistry and praises Elvis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh. I'm not bothered. Obviously you're wrong and ignorant, I made an observation. People don't like the same things and have bad biased opinions.
    Some of those musicians you mention were friends, big influences worked with and greatly respected him. Their stlye and recognition Elvis pinched from
    It's always funny when someone insults michael jackson's artistry and praises Elvis.

Michael Jackson is not my cup of tea and early Elvis is. It's the other way round with you. Let's agree to disagree. Have a nice day. :)
  • Blue MeanieBlue Meanie Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    The Beatles changed the world.

Music, fashion, thinking. They were both of the time and ahead of their time. A Zeitgeist. There is a joy and an innocence to the music; depth and frivolity; charm and passion. The sheer breath of what they did is untouchable. And they resonate still.

Elvis for impact but he was over as a force when the beat groups arrived, and he went off into the army. Iconic, fabulous singer across genres,

Michael Jackson.mmn... some great songs. Great pop music to dance to... I prefer Motown,

Oasis a great rock band with attitude, more successful than the more interesting musically Blur.

The Beatles though are a class on their own.
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oasis- Love all the b sides and early albums to death. Lots of good tracks later on too.

It seems like it's a crime to say you love Oasis nowadays. :(
    Hayden wrote: »

If you wanted an infinitely more talented equivalent I would suggest The Stone Roses.

One album which isn't even that good. Ian Brown's waifer thin voice ruins it.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    1) The Beatles- Almost every song is fantastic, and two great vocalists.
    2) Elvis Presley- Patchy material but a fabulous singer and performer.
    3) Oasis- Nice songwriting, sometimes come off as a Beatles tribute act.
    4) Michael Jackson- Entirely over-rated.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you made a stupid comment, hardly an observation, and when it was proven to be inaccurate (your thinly disguised hint that the poster might be racist) you make another! how tf you can call him 'wrong' and 'ignorant' when you were comprehensively proven wrong is quite shocking... (or is your 'ignorant' accusation a nod to jacko?...lol

the quietness of jacko fans here is deafening... together they reassure one abnother that jacko is THE only thing in music, that he changed everything, and that the world either agrees or is 'ignorant'... yet here his popularity is less then that beatles tribute act (oasis). i guess they dont like the truth.
  • hullaballoohullaballoo Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    you made a stupid comment, hardly an observation, and when it was proven to be inaccurate (your thinly disguised hint that the poster might be racist) you make another! how tf you can call him 'wrong' and 'ignorant' when you were comprehensively proven wrong is quite shocking... (or is your 'ignorant' accusation a nod to jacko?...lol

the quietness of jacko fans here is deafening... together they reassure one abnother that jacko is THE only thing in music, that he changed everything, and that the world either agrees or is 'ignorant'... yet here his popularity is less then that beatles tribute act (oasis). i guess they dont like the truth.

Or maybe some people are grown up enough to accept that different people like different things.
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this Mohamed Al Fayed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised by all the Oasis hate going on here. If this list is just personal preference then:

1. The Beatles -Really, the other 3 don't come close imo. I enjoy Michael Jackson & Elvis but, again, not even close to the Beatles. All 3 heavily influenced music, and Elvis & MJ are great artists, don't get me wrong... just harsh to include them in the same list as The Beatles.

2. Oasis - I'm not saying Oasis are better than MJ & Elvis just that I prefer them. Great songwriting, and one of the biggest bands of my generation. A band that will definitely be remembered in 50-60 years time as an all-time great imo.

3. Michael Jackson

4. Elvis

Btw, why these 4 choices? You could have included artists like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen, Stevie Wonder, etc... just curious.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    julomu wrote: »
    Btw, why these 4 choices? You could have included artists like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen, Stevie Wonder, etc... just curious.

I may be wrong, but I would hazard a guess that Elvis was chosen to represent the fifties, The Beatles the sixties, Michael Jackson, as a member of the Jackson Five the seventies and as a solo artist the eighties, and Oasis the nineties. There's nobody to represent the noughties or the teens, but perhaps the OP doesn't like 21st Century music.