Most underated and overrated Beatles tracks

13»

Comments

• Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    Just to help you identify it Golden Slumbers is part of a medley at the end of what was side 2 of the Abbey Road LP. Best not to seperate it from its eventual setting.

Thanks for that. :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a real shame that, on a discussion board of all places (:o), somebody can't simply state a not-so-popular opinion without being insulted for it. This place gets more and more immature with each passing day.

Funny, I feel the same towards those who combust into flames at the very site of an opinion that goes against their own.
    You're confusing the posting of a not-so-popular opinion with trolling.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Before making your mind up about Beatles tracks, it's well worth reading Ian Macdonald's Revolution In The Head, which will open up your mind to the way the songs were conceived and provide invaluable insights. It provides detailed insider information on every single song they ever recorded (including many you might not even have heard of) and you may well change your mind after reading it.
    www.amazon.com/Revolution-Head-Beatles-Records-Sixties/dp/1556527330

Love this book. I read it over and over again for years then found the updated 3rd version
    which had loads more in it. :) I am planning to get the Tune In book but am wary as it seems
    like a major task. Revolution in the Head is great because you can skip about looking up
    specific songs as you fancy.
    Torch81 wrote: »
    That also actually might be 55 by tomorrow as I just heard an otherwise unknown to me track called 'Golden Slumbers' I think(?).

As mentioned by others this is part of the Abbey Road medley although for years it was my
    favourite song so I would say can be listened to in isolation (at least along with Carry That Weight).
    That said it works best in context which is the case for many of their songs. I would suggest
    listening to some of the albums (especially later ones) in full. That way you might get something
    out of some songs you wouldn't by listening to individual songs, The Abbey Road medley
    and certain parts of the White Album are especially notable for this. If you are not a big fan
    you probably won't get as much out of it (which is fine btw ;-):D) but you never know.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underrated - Tomorrow Never Knows
    Overrated - Ob La Di Ob La Da
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Underrated - Tomorrow Never Knows
    Overrated -Ob La Di Ob La Da
    I don't think Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da was ever rated

Even John himself apparently loathed the song
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da was pure McCartney musical fluff.. John had no hand in writing it., and would never have been associated with it despite the Lennon/McCartney tag..

As far as being overrated is concerned, the pop group Marmalade had a top 10 hit with it in the late 60s and it was constantly played on the radio ad nauseam, so I think it well qualifies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    As mentioned by others this is part of the Abbey Road medley although for years it was my favourite song so I would say can be listened to in isolation (at least along with Carry That Weight).
    That said it works best in context which is the case for many of their songs. I would suggest listening to some of the albums (especially later ones) in full. That way you might get something out of some songs you wouldn't by listening to individual songs, The Abbey Road medley and certain parts of the White Album are especially notable for this. If you are not a big fan you probably won't get as much out of it (which is fine btw ;-):D) but you never know.

Thanks for your input on this. I've occasionally discovered what has eventually become some of my favourite music via recommendations of others so...I made a visit to my local library earlier, which generally has an excellent CD section. I think they had every single Beatles CD possible except..... Abbey Road. :( But that probably just means its checked out elsewhere at present so I'll try again next week. I did pick up the White Album though, which aside from a few obvious tracks I don't know at all, so will load that onto the ipod and take a listen.

I also got McCartney's 'Band On The Run' album as someone else I was discussing all this with highly recommended it.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your input on this. I've occasionally discovered what has eventually become some of my favourite music via recommendations of others so...I made a visit to my local library earlier, which generally has an excellent CD section. I think they had every single Beatles CD possible except..... Abbey Road. :( But that probably just means its checked out elsewhere at present so I'll try again next week. I did pick up the White Album though, which aside from a few obvious tracks I don't know at all, so will load that onto the ipod and take a listen.

I also got McCartney's 'Band On The Run' album as someone else I was discussing all this with highly recommended it.

Band on the Run is the only McCartney album I listen to with any regularity. There's some good tracks on other albums but let down by the heap of dross along with them IMO.
  • Options
    catsaregreycatsaregrey Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underated - She said She said
    Overrated - Hey Jude
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    Band on the Run is the only McCartney album I listen to with any regularity. There's some good tracks on other albums but let down by the heap of dross along with them IMO.

That somewhat echoes other opinions I've heard. I listened to "Band On The Run" whilst out walking earlier. On first hearing, loved it, that one's definitely a 'keeper'.

I also listened to "The White Album" but I'm going to reserve judgement on that for the time being as my initial thoughts were that it's an album you probably need to hear a good few times before offering up any relevant thoughts on it.
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    overrated - Help.
    Underrated - Here comes the sun.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also listened to "The White Album" but I'm going to reserve judgement on that for the time being as my initial thoughts were that it's an album you probably need to hear a good few times before offering up any relevant thoughts on it.
    Just take in George Martin's opinion that it would have made a very good single album.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    That somewhat echoes other opinions I've heard. I listened to "Band On The Run" whilst out walking earlier. On first hearing, loved it, that one's definitely a 'keeper'.

The White Album does sag at points with a few tracks that are unusually weak. It also ends
    badly with Revolution 9 more of interest historically than an easy listen while Good Night is
    in Lennon's own rather understated words "possibly over lush". :D Incidentally he wrote that
    one not McCartney as many assume. Personally I don't think it should have been one album
    but I do think they could have dropped a few (e.g. Piggies or Don't Pass Me By) and added
    other songs they had such as Hey Bulldog or kept back The Inner Light for it.

I would say Side 3 is the strongest as I think all songs on that side are great. Sides 1 and 2
    I think start and end well but sag in the middle. There are some very clever moves in terms
    of album structure when you consider how the songs were written. E.g. Martha My Dear
    flows into I'm So Tired as if this was always planned but I don't believe it was. Apparently
    Martin, Lennon, and McCartney spent a full 24 hour session putting the track listing together. :o
    Presumably with a few other things to tidy it up but still a mammoth effort.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle is a quality track, so underrated