Rap music, yeah!

AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Nah not really.

Just like to ask if anyone knows when the substitute for music commonly known as (C)rap music will ever die?
Also why is it still here when it's now anything but fresh and who actually buys it?

And if you are someone who likes it then what is it you find rewarding about listening to it?

Comments

• AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    Nah not really.

Just like to ask if anyone knows when the substitute for music commonly known as (C)rap music will ever die?
    Also why is it still here when it's now anything but fresh and who actually buys it?

And if you are someone who likes it then what is it you find rewarding about listening to it?

It depends. I like some rapping, but not when it has constant overkill swearing. Take these lyrics from a Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne song:
    She got a n**** at home
    And one on the side
    Best friend is a dyke, they ****ed around a few times
    Her and her mamma alike, so all they do is fight
    I tell her, "Make me some money," she tell me, "Make me a wife."
    I tell that "Bitch, you crazy.
    **** wrong with you?"
    And excuse my French, but I'm a long kisser
    And then she try to tell me I'm the only one that's hittin'
    And I say, "What about them n*****?"
    She say, "What about them n*****?"
    You right, what you doing tonight?
    Put on something tight
    Don't judge me, I get life
    She love me like a brother
    But **** me like a husband
    P*ssy like a oven
    Too hot to put my tongue in
    All I had to do is rub it
    The genie out the bottle
    Pussy so wet, I'ma need goggles
    She tell me that it's mine
    I tell her, "Stop lying."
    Mine and who else?
    She say, "Worry 'bout yourself,
    Lil Tune."

Overkill.

(And mods, don't ban me for posting this, I'm using it as an example of swearing in raps.)
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »
    It depends. I like some rapping, but not when it has constant overkill swearing. Take these lyrics from a Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne song:

Overkill.

(And mods, don't ban me for posting this, I'm using it as an example of swearing in raps.)

It's not just a case of overkill, it just foul with zero redeeming qualities, designed to make you feel what? Shocked?Titillated?Nauseas? It's like someone whacking your head against a brick wall repeatedly. Eventually you're going to get numb and lose the will to live.

It's so sad to live in a country that had such a wonderful and emotional musical legacy that can move your soul to be reduced to listening to the crudest, inarticulate rubbish some twonk could ever invent.

Imagine listening to that crap after listening to Mary Hopkin or the Stone Roses or Enya or the Jesus and Mary Chain or anything you like.
    How would you honestly rate it then?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way I can listen to rap music, other than Kelly Rowland's "Dilemma," as that is quite musical (and I like Kelly Rowland).
    Most if it for me sounds much the same.

There's nothing new about it, it's been around for years.

Here's a modern version of a 65 year-old old tune with a "rap" vocal.
    This I do like. It's a vocal version of a saxaphone solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWxriapsDes
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the popular rap acts have become a parody, always on about bitches, hoes, big asses, guns, money. But when rap is used in protest about social issues it still is quite powerful, just a shame people do't seem to want that stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way I can listen to rap music, other than Kelly Rowland's "Dilemma," as that is quite musical (and I like Kelly Rowland).
    Most if it for me sounds much the same.

There's nothing new about it, it's been around for years.

Here's a modern version of a 65 year-old old tune with a "rap" vocal.
    This I do like. It's a vocal version of a saxaphone solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWxriapsDes

See what you mean about the 'rap' vocal except that the girl is actually signing. With a perfectly lovely voice too.

That piece is not exactly my cup of tea but i enjoyed it anyhow and it goes to prove the point the music should be a human pleasure to be savoured and not rammed in your face like someone's ass with a gun pointing out of it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See what you mean about the 'rap' vocal except that the girl is actually singing. With a perfectly lovely voice too.

That piece is not exactly my cup of tea but i enjoyed it anyhow and it goes to prove the point the music should be a human pleasure to be savoured and not rammed in your face like someone's ass with a gun pointing out of it

Of course she is singing, it's more like "Scat" singing, but with a written lyric.
    It's written around the chords of "I'm in the Mood For Love," but not the refrain.

it's because many rap artists can't sing you get what you get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    the popular rap acts have become a parody, always on about bitches, hoes, big asses, guns, money. But when rap is used in protest about social issues it still is quite powerful, just a shame people do't seem towant that stuff

I'm remember Public Enemy and Tupac and some other rap that had a message but those days are long gone. I remember when they had intelligent, sharp meaningful and funny as **** lyrics, one of which I was going to fondly narrate before I remembered that even quoting the n word is off limits to the likes of me. Of course the rappers are welcomed to use it to death.

The music industry will never promote any positive, uplifting or truly rebellious music anymore.
    And it's got to be largely down to the consumer who sucks up all the hoes, butts and guns etc garbage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course she is singing, it's more like "Scat" singing, but with a written lyric.
    It's written around the chords of "I'm in the Mood For Love," but not the refrain.

Doh, rap artists that can't sing, I am shocked!!! Lol

Maybe they should try different occupations, like appearing in the Daily Mail slebs strip cartoon every day. oh what a minute....

Like that girl's voice but it will get better as she matures.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always disliked rap and the worst thing ever was when it started to appear in metal with nu-metal and rap-metal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doh, rap artists that can't sing, I am shocked!!! Lol

Maybe they should try different occupations, like appearing in the Daily Mail slebs strip cartoon every day. oh what a minute....

Like that girl's voice but it will get better as she matures.

She's Spanish, twenty and plays trumpet, alto and soprano sax to a professional standard.

She has a wide vocal range.

This her at eighteen, vocals and trumpet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSCaGOvbPL4

On alto sax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LYINPAqZn0
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rap music, yeah! Nah not really.

That little tirade isn't really the way to open up any serious conversation about Hip Hop. It's more likely to make anyone who does appreciate Hip Hop hostile. Why would they waste their time attempting to defend an entire music genre for the entertainment of someone who wants to rubbish it? There are already Hip Hop threads on here for those who care.
    [..]one of which I was going to fondly narrate before I remembered that even quoting the n word is off limits to the likes of me. Of course the rappers are welcomed to use it to death.
    There are certainly many people in the black community who are opposed to the reclaiming and common use of the word in music.
    The music industry will never promote any positive, uplifting or truly rebellious music anymore.
    Which is hardly the fault of the artists who do make good Hip Hip.
    Plenty of Hip Hip could be considered to be in your face, confrontational and controversial, like other styles of music too. I wouldn't say that would be what makes it bad.
    There's no reason why an MC needs to be able to sing. Most singers can't rap. You don't have to play the piano to be a guitarist.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eminem has more talent in his pinky than anything Cheryl Cole has or will amount too

'Places flame retardant vest on'
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as recently post pubescent retards have cars, rap will exist for the little morons to blare out of the windows in public car parks to show people how hard they are.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah not really.

how strange... i was thinking the very same thing!

its been around over 30 years, and i dont get the appeal, outside its american/black roots.

personally, i hate it, i dont get it, it says nothing to me whatsoever.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love these "I don't get it so it's crap" threads :)

I like a lot of rap, always have. But i suspect i'd be out of place on this thread in that respect ..
  • Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    As long as it's got decent "music" behind it ala Red Hot Chili Peppers, rage against the machine etc, then I don't mind it.
    It's the idiots who rap over backing tracks and clapping beats I can't stand.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rap and mainstream 'hip hop' are filth that have polluted the minds of the young so over the past 20 years that it is a contributing factor to why swathes of today's youth are so ignorant, arrogant and swaggering. It is the thing I would second most like abolished from existence after flies and wasps.

Rap was fairly tolerable in the 70s and 80s, until Public Enemy rebranded it into a 'political' tool - ie, loads of swearing and aggression. I acknowledge that plenty will proclaim their particular 'brilliance', but it's not for me I'm afraid.

Here's Mae West rapping in the 70s in her 70s :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6HBqcoEyTg
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Rap and mainstream 'hip hop' are filth that have polluted the minds of the young so over the past 20 years that it is a contributing factor to why swathes of today's youth are so ignorant, arrogant and swaggering. It is the thing I would second most like abolished from existence after flies and wasps.

Rap was fairly tolerable in the 70s and 80s, until Public Enemy rebranded it into a 'political' tool - ie, loads of swearing and aggression. I acknowledge that plenty will proclaim their particular 'brilliance', but it's not for me I'm afraid.

Wow. Just wow.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Nah not really.

Why do I need to find it rewarding to listen to music? Also why do I need to justify that decision to you? You don't like rap music, don't listen to it.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rap is a technique that can be used in music, rather than a music form in itself.
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Eminem has more talent in his pinky than anything Cheryl Cole has or will amount too

'Places flame retardant vest on'

Nope, I agree with you as I'm sure quite a few people will as well.

However I fear I may be in the minority when I state that Will Smith is still one of my favourite rap artists.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't understand this point of view. i don't like classical music, so i don't listen to it. i wouldn't shame someone for enjoying it, i'd just leave them to it. grow up a bit and realise that people have different tastes in things.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Grandstanding like that makes me think you've probably listened to two rap records in your entire life :D
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    i don't understand this point of view. i don't like classical music, so i don't listen to it. i wouldn't shame someone for enjoying it, i'd just leave them to it. grow up a bit and realise that people have different tastes in things.

It's the lifeblood of the music snob - to criticise and complain about the genres they don't like and claim the genres they do like are "real" or "proper" music.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grandstanding like that makes me think you've probably listened to two rap records in your entire life :D

To be more accurate, I was a serial nerdy chart enthusiast in two periods, firstly from 1986 to 1992, and then 1996 to about 2005/6. And I did perceive a distinct, unpalatable change in the rap/hip-hop genre in those two periods, and from the dipping in and out since then I know has not only endured but been exacerbated. I know there's the argument that the mainstream doesn't reflect the 'true' scene, but I didn't claim to be basing my post on anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »

There's no reason why an MC needs to be able to sing. Most singers can't rap. You don't have to play the piano to be a guitarist.

This is true, but the end result could be as discordant to some, as is rap, if they can't.
    (Many can).