Options

Any way of the following.

gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, picture there was an hour show and I am 15 mins into the next programme. I can, through the buffer rewind up to an hour and catch most of that previous programme.

This is fine, but I had hoped somehow if I rewound it enough I could force it into keeping (recording) what I had of the previous programme but when I did this it only recorded from the start of the current programme,if you see what I mean.

I know under MOST circumstances this is exactly what you'd want it to do..ie. record the current programme from the start, but was there some way I could have forced the complete buffer to store ???

sorry if this is confusing.

Comments

• Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Ok, picture there was an hour show and I am 15 mins into the next programme. I can, through the buffer rewind up to an hour and catch most of that previous programme.

This is fine, but I had hoped somehow if I rewound it enough I could force it into keeping (recording) what I had of the previous programme but when I did this it only recorded from the start of the current programme,if you see what I mean.

I know under MOST circumstances this is exactly what you'd want it to do..ie. record the current programme from the start, but was there some way I could have forced the complete buffer to store ???

sorry if this is confusing.

Its not that good. ;)

Maybe the programme to wanted to record is repeated or on Catch-Up?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,772
    Forum Member
    Yes. Sorry. Not a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, no problem. Didnt think there was but just thought maybe a trick I could've missed.
  • Options
    mikerrmikerr Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    You could actually do that on the old tivo by setting a manual recording with the start and end time in the past.

..but I don't think that menu even exists on the VM Tivo.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The manual recording option is at My Shows & Recordings/Manual Recording/Set Up Manual Recording.

It's really not hard to find. If you've managed to find My Shows, then Manual Recording is in the same menu a few options below it.
  • Options
    67896789 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always saves the whole buffer. The bookmark is placed at the start of the current programme so it plays from where you'd usually want, but you can wind back before it.

I can't believe the mighty Carl didn't know that ;)
  • Options
    dwarfofpoisondwarfofpoison Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    6789 wrote: »
    It always saves the whole buffer. The bookmark is placed at the start of the current programme so it plays from where you'd usually want, but you can wind back before it.

I think the initial post was referring to recording the buffer, whilst it is easy to rewind before the bookmark it's a little harder to record the whole buffer. I don't think "mighty" Carl has any trouble rewinding!

Recording it is another matter, mikerr and brangdon came up with the solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What makes you think I didn't? :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without me starting another thread. I've been annoyed a few times while trying to watch a recorded programme. Tivo twice has come up telling me it wants to change the channel of a tuner, with a yes, or no option. However, although its obviously wanting to record something, it doesnt actually tell me why or what. This is just a bit annoying. The progs were fine enough when they were set up, so why the heck is it asking me again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean you can't remember what you set it to record? :eek: ;)

Look in the "upcoming recordings" section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No,I can, but I'd have to stop what I was enjoying to go and sort out any problems.

Actually, I think I'm mistake. I think it did mention the programmes. What I'm wondering though. When these were set up (weeks back) as series links, it was fine with it,but now it feels the need to pop asking me if its ok to change a tuner.

I'm probably not explaining this too well.
    Its telling me say it wants to change a tuner to record "lost girl" but doesnt tell me if this means something else is suffering, and what that something is. I said yes, guess I might find the end of something missing now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm probably not explaining this too well.
    Hehe! I have that problem.

I think it only gives that message when it wants to record three things at once; and asks it just in case you want to keep the live buffer for some reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe! I have that problem.

I think it only gives that message when it wants to record three things at once; and asks it just in case you want to keep the live buffer for some reason.

ahh yes, this is it. It was definitly off to record 3 things.
    So thats generally why then. Its in case I want whatever that particular tuner had already in its buffer (equivalent of say V+s live tuner)

Guess I can manipulate that then if that the reason. Its doubtful I'd want to keep it but least I know its there then....ta
  • Options
    67896789 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the initial post was referring to recording the buffer
    So was I. Press record during a live programme, and it saves all the buffer, plus the remainder of the current programme. It places the bookmark at the start of the current programme so that playback starts where you'd expect, but you can skip back to the start of the buffer if you want.

Try it if you don't believe me.
    What makes you think I didn't? :p:D
    Post #3 was a clue. However, I've now remembered you never watch live TV, so there's no reason for you to know this. Apologies. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So was I. Press record during a live programme, and it saves all the buffer, plus the remainder of the current programme. It places the bookmark at the start of the current programme so that playback starts where you'd expect, but you can skip back to the start of the buffer if you want.

Interesting, be cool if it works, so will try this.,..,ta
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the asking my if it can change a tuner while I'm watching a recorded programme,any way to turn that off, so it just does it ??
  • Options
    mikerrmikerr Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    On the asking my if it can change a tuner while I'm watching a recorded programme,any way to turn that off, so it just does it ??

If it asks you that while you're watching live tv, that's fine
    - as it's asking if you 'd mind losing the end of the current programme you're watching live, or cancel the new recording

If it asks you that while you're watching an old recording(*) I'd say that's a bug.

(*)i.e. a show that has already been recorded in its entirety - not one that's still recording.
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    My 10 year old Philips PVR has separate pop up menu for the huuuuuuuuuuuge 6 hour buffer which lists all programmes in it 'by name'

You can scroll the list and instantly play any programme (without Rewinding 1980's VCR style - yawn)

You can Store/record any programme in it by clicking Red

Pa Daaaaaaaaa

Come on Tivo - keep up - 'Ground-Breaking'??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikerr wrote: »

If it asks you that while you're watching an old recording...

It does!

Have you not got one???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...Press record during a live programme, and it saves all the buffer, plus the remainder of the current programme. It places the bookmark at the start of the current programme so that playback starts where you'd expect, but you can skip back to the start of the buffer if you want....
    Interesting, be cool if it works, so will try this.,..,ta

Alllllllllllllllllll PVRs record whole programme (if it's in the buffer) when you press record

Thats bog standard PVR thang dont ya know??

Only PVR I have ever come across that doesn't is V+ - which was crap design - trouble was most people that used V+ never had a 'proper PVR' before so they dont know any better & never complained and it never go fixed

And for the record - it doesn't 'place a bookmark' anywhere - the final recording just plays from the beginning like any other recording
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it record the whole programme if your say near the end of a 2 Hr Footy match?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Does it record the whole programme if your say near the end of a 2 Hr Footy match?

nope - only 1 hour buffer max with Tivo - and that's only if the beginning (or whatever of the match) is already in the buffer

with 100's channels and only 3 tuners its prolly unlikely

mainly used when say, you've been watching a film/game and 40 minutes in you decide to record it - it will store it from the start

with my Philips 6 hour buffer I used to come home from work and sometimes watch a movie that was on at lunch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    My 10 year old Philips PVR has separate pop up menu for the huuuuuuuuuuuge 6 hour buffer which lists all programmes in it 'by name'
    Which model was that then?

Also, I assume it was just the one channel it could buffer. You do you know that Tivo does three, don't you?

The point being... six of one..., swings and roundabouts,

nope - only 1 hour buffer max with Tivo....
    Although officially it is supposed to be an hour, I've personally had a buffer of around 90-100on the BBC News Channel.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mainly used when say, you've been watching a film/game and 40 minutes in you decide to record it - it will store it from the start
    Also useful if you come home, switch the TV on, and it's half-way through a programme that catches your interest (that you hadn't set to record or been picked up as a Suggestion).
    with my Philips 6 hour buffer I used to come home from work and sometimes watch a movie that was on at lunch
    It would be nice if the size of the buffers was selectable. I'd probably set it to 2 hours rather than 1, but I doubt I'd want 6 hours. With three buffers that's over 15% of my disk space. Most programmes are 1 hour or less, so the 1 hour buffer works pretty well.

(There are a lot of things about TiVo that I'd like to be more configurable.)
    mikerr wrote: »
    If it asks you that while you're watching an old recording(*) I'd say that's a bug.
    I think it asks if you are watching an old recording, but only if you've watched Live TV in the last hour, on the tuner it wants to use. So it doesn't always happen, but does happen sometimes. And it perhaps happens more than it would if it didn't revert to Live TV if left idle in the menus for over 10 minutes. And more than it would if it was smart enough to find a different tuner instead of insisting on using the one it thought you looked at.

The idea is to preserve the buffer. Sometimes I watch Live TV, then watch a recording, then go back to Live TV so I do benefit from this feature, so I wouldn't call it a bug. Although it could be improved, as noted above.