Top Gear

Comments

• MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    It was a bit old new Top Gear. It reminded me of the early series when it returned, which was less comedy and more car show with a sarcastic edge. I liked it, as I think the first 10 series or so were the best of the new Top Gear, but I think it will divide people as it was more meandering than some of the big adventures.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    They earn millions for doing 8 shows a year and filming a Christmas special for their end of summer paid vacation.

If you want to see passionate presenting from either May or Hammond, watch any of the other shows they do, from Manlab to Boys Toys to How to Build A Universe. Top Gear and the late Wipeout are cash in easy money jobs they use to fund their own productions with their own names attached at the masthead. They've all conceded it is basically Last of The Summer Wine With Cars at this point in varying mediums, it's Sunday night light entertainment rather than actual journalism and if you want that, buy the magazine they produce written by actual motoring journalists and not the papers they write articles or Sunday supplements for.

They are a middle aged variety act doing old comedy routines, Three Men In Cars instead of Three Men In A Boat. Nothing more, nothing less. If you wanted anything vaguely honest, you'd have stopped watched around 2006. Complaining about it as it is now is like complaining about Knock Knock jokes.

You seem to have interpreted a completely false outlook I have towards the show. I quite enjoy the 'light entertainment' of it all, and am well aware of the kind of show it is. I still (relatively) enjoyed it, only pointing out that it wasn't the best or the worst of their road trips - just something that had become an obvious example of going through the motions.

That doesn't mean that it has to be dull, or boring. In fact for light entertainment, and between the antics of the presenters it should be anything but. However, my opinion (rather than my 'complaining') is that part one of Patagonia was a bit dull. The scenery was good, the whole thing was watchable still, but it lacked the spark it used to have - as in I get the feeling that even the presenters don't enjoy it as much as they used to - hence your Knock Knock joke analogy not really fitting my point of view.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    He said he needed a car that was capable of that speed. He didn't say what speed he drove it at. There's no confession there that would be sufficient to prosecute.

What's the betting that someone will call on the police to investigate even though it is obvious that there is not a hope of their being evidence for a prosecution even if if they could with an offence that would have been twenty years ago.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    What's the betting that someone will call on the police to investigate even though it is obvious that there is not a hope of their being evidence for a prosecution even if if they could with an offence that would have been twenty years ago.

Can one prosecute someone for a throwaway remark made on TV or come to that, here?
    Supposing I said, or boasted that I had driven over 90mph on some motorway in the UK, could I be prosecuted? I don't think so.:confused:
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad episode :-)

Plus, you get an additional laugh by coming on here and seeing who forced themselves to watch, just so they could moan :D

And a double laugh for those who come here to see what other more discerning viewers make of their show and still cant get it....;-)
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    And a double laugh for those who come here to see what other more discerning viewers make of their show and still cant get it....;-)

And a triple laugh for those of us who come on here and see just what passes as entertainment these days and how people are so easily pleased by what is, sometimes, crass nonsense time and time again - so sad but that's the general public for you.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Can one prosecute someone for a throwaway remark made on TV or come to that, here?
    Supposing I said, or boasted that I had driven over 90mph on some motorway in the UK, could I be prosecuted? I don't think so.:confused:

You wouldn't normally bother saying which country you happened to be in. So the speed limit could have been anything. Even at the 81mph it is in much of Europe, it wouldn't be up to the UK police to chase speeding offences decades ago in a different country.

(Pinching someone's bottom in 1971 however is a heinous crime of a far greater severity than potentially killing and maiming other road users, so you have to be careful about such things even on an anonymous forum.)

Of course, you might also have been already prosecuted for the offence...
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pierce Morgan would.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It's a proud moment, Hammond.. but... is it straight?"

"YES"
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode I love the long drives through different types of terrain, looks great tonight too.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Pierce Morgan would.

:D

There's probably a few sad folk on here, who would too.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Top Gear used to be a must if it was on, something not to be missed, if we really are at the point of where everything has been done, perhaps only the stubborn will keep tuning in, just as they do with so many other things.
    Or perhaps there are new viewers, coming to the programme for the first time (figuratively speaking), people who have not seen many of the earlier specials.

For them, the shows are new, the situations have not been seen before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Some struggle to see or admit when it is their own love of a show that is over and that they need to move on leaving it for those who still enjoy it.

Very true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :

I very much doubt it - but that won't stop some complaining or trying to get the Police to investigate.

BTW, that remark about the warm chicken and getting to see his father was one of the mist poignant that I have ever heard, I'm sure that there was a tear welling up in Jeremy's eye when he spoke about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    "It's a proud moment, Hammond.. but... is it straight?"

"YES"
    That was the comedy exchange of the night - simplicity itself.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These road trips make me feel envies, loved to do what they do. As long as I continue to enjoy watching Top Gear I will keep watching. Maybe I am easily pleased like one poster said, but we all like and dislike different things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very unlikely but that does not stop attention seekers (often MPs) calling for an investigation and also often a police force will announce that they are investigating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    (Pinching someone's bottom in 1971 however is a heinous crime of a far greater severity than potentially killing and maiming other road users, so you have to be careful about such things even on an anonymous forum.)

Unless you are a teenage girl pinching the bottom of a DJ presenting Top of the Pops, in which case you were obviously seduced into doing it and completely innocent.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, an easy going sit back and enjoy for an hour, next part look great.
  • Mustard2Mustard2 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    Anyone with at least half a brain cell would know its not coincidental.

I started off with the intention of finding connections/references with the other two plates but so far failed.
    Inserting registration numbers in the AA car check site does however produce the three cars matching those on the programme.
    Not sure what this 'proves'.

I rather think the furore has been generated to make sure we watch part two of a rather ordinary, for Top Gear, part one.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Clarkson is 54; that is generally agreed to be middle-aged, not old. Perhaps in your part of the world it might be considered old age, but not in the UK (not even in Scotland). Middle age here runs to at least 60.

(When the thread started, he was only 51! And he might eventually get to old age during the subsequent course of it if Top Gear is still going in six years' time and no-one bothers starting a new one. But at the time of writing he is 54 and middle-aged.)

How many 108 yr old men do you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With reference to "middle age":
    Middle age starts much later than previously thought - at the age of 55, research suggests.

And Britons do not see themselves as elderly until they are nudging 70, the survey of 1,000 UK adults aged 50-plus for the Love to Learn online learning website says.

Previous studies have pinpointed the start of middle age as early as 36.

The research suggests that as the population ages, new cut-off points are being drawn.

According to official national data, there are now more adults over 65 than there are under-16s.

Although seven out of 10 early 50-somethings quizzed for the survey defined themselves as middle-aged, the average age at which the period of life was perceived to start was 54 years and 347 days old.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19622330

So that suggests that Clarkson isn't even middle-aged!

And on that bombshell ......
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    How many 108 yr old men do you know.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Middle age is the period of age beyond young adulthood but before the onset of old age. Various attempts have been made to define this age, which is around the third quarter of the average life span of human beings.

That should clear up that little bout of smartrearness.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You took me seriously, im flattered.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    dogleg box I take it?

Can't recall TBH but I don't think so.

Probably that reverse was back from 5th and he came off the motorway, attempted to shift from 5th into 4th but got reverse instead.
    Was kinda funny to see the reversing lights come on twice though.

Inside the car, the kid was probably thinking "Change down... Whoa! that doesn't sound right... maybe if I really force it... there we go... Oh crap!!!!!"
This discussion has been closed.